PDA

View Full Version : slow745ti needs his own forum

gecko
06-10-2003, 08:05 PM
this is ridiculous. when someone is selling enough stuff to take up almost a quarter of the spots on the first page and does it consistently it seems as though they are operating more as a business. not that he consistently has 12 topics on the front but there have always been at least 5 or 6 every week or two. is this unfounded? if so, i'll just shut up and let it go.

neal

boostdemon
06-10-2003, 08:27 PM
yeah, i agree, but since its never been address officially can only change it from here forward.

i know dan, applejuice, and quite a few others who have sold off multiple items in separate threads are not businesses, and those members with companies know the rules...

in most forums, its standard proceedure to post multiple items for sale in one thread. meaning i.e. "740 turbo parts - ic, intake, turbo, etc." and then in the thread list out all the parts you're selling.
however thats not the most efficient way to sell off stuff... :e-shrug:

whats your suggestion?

towerymt
06-10-2003, 08:27 PM
http://forums.slow745ti.com/ :wink:

gecko
06-10-2003, 09:13 PM
yeah, i agree, but since its never been address officially can only change it from here forward.

i know dan, applejuice, and quite a few others who have sold off multiple items in separate threads are not businesses, and those members with companies know the rules...

in most forums, its standard proceedure to post multiple items for sale in one thread. meaning i.e. "740 turbo parts - ic, intake, turbo, etc." and then in the thread list out all the parts you're selling.
however thats not the most efficient way to sell off stuff... :e-shrug:

whats your suggestion?

i apologize for not putting up a realistic suggestion :wink: but anyway...
i think there are several options that could be implemented singly or together that would make the classified section much more effective for a person trying to list an item and the person that wants to buy it.

1) the way that ipd has their classified section is fairly effective. it distinguishes between the seperate series of cars. here we primarily deal with the 2 and 7 series though there have been more 8 and 9 series people showing up. the breakdown could be 2, 7/9, and 8 *cuz some of them are sticking around :eek: )

2) possibly a limit on how many new posts a person can make each day in the for sale section of the board. perhaps 2 or 3 a day. this would allow other people's items to have exposure time on the first page of the forum. enforcement and regulation through the board members

3) the other is letting businesses have direct links off of the for sale section. perhaps paid advertisements for the larger companies. this could make funding the board easier. or for individuals with lots of stuff to sell, have like a power seller page that lists all the people with lots of items.

side benefit of #3---maybe the board could have a project car...or make use of funds to do dyno pulls to build a base of info about actual gains from mods. preferably this would be done where someone would volunteer their time on the car and good discount could be gotten from the dyno place for promise of future business.

some of these are easier to implement than others with the structure of the board.

neal

boostdemon
06-11-2003, 09:58 AM
[quote:e54abd17df]1) the way that ipd has their classified section is fairly effective. it distinguishes between the seperate series of cars. here we primarily deal with the 2 and 7 series though there have been more 8 and 9 series people showing up. the breakdown could be 2, 7/9, and 8 *cuz some of them are sticking around ) [/quote:e54abd17df]

i had enough pushback just getting a separate for/sale - wanted forum, splitting it up even more might not work too well (after all we _are_ a forum rather then a classifieds site, they just happen to be avail to members)
maybe going back to implement title prefixes i.e. "240: seats, dash, gauges" or like "745: tailgate, td05 turbo, intercooler"
but that would only be a suggestion, since i dont ever want to have to constantly edit each topic like before... that just sucked.

[quote:e54abd17df]2) possibly a limit on how many new posts a person can make each day in the for sale section of the board. perhaps 2 or 3 a day. this would allow other people's items to have exposure time on the first page of the forum. enforcement and regulation through the board members [/quote:e54abd17df]

that would be a real pain, maybe one day when eveything else is done. maybe making the classifieds section display more the 50 threads at a time?
maybe one day we can change the post/reply form for just the for/sale forum to make you choose the car model or something, i dunno

[quote:e54abd17df]3) the other is letting businesses have direct links off of the for sale section. perhaps paid advertisements for the larger companies. this could make funding the board easier. or for individuals with lots of stuff to sell, have like a power seller page that lists all the people with lots of items. [/quote:e54abd17df]

we have been hammering out some ideas for companies that are interested to get some perminant info up. thoughts are mostly leaning towards "reanting" a sticky topic where you could write whatever you wanted etc. however that would/could leave the for/sale forum front page as about 20 sticky topics... goes back to your complaint that things dont get enough visibility as it is.

being funded by donations/danas wallet it makes it kinda hard to get a real project car... yes getting some sponsors would bring in some cash, but wouldnt you rather have extra goodies and such? getting the documented info on the site, as i've been saying (and we will be there one of these days i hope) will happen fairly soon.

linuxman51
06-18-2003, 10:45 AM
he does not run a business :) he just has piles of volvo crap in his garage

Hank Scorpio
06-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I think you guys are worrying to much about it. Linuxman is right, he's got a boat load of crap over the years that he's trying to get rid of.

Doug

boostdemon
06-18-2003, 03:13 PM
you guys are missing the point i think... its not about business vs. personal... we know he has tons of crap he's trying to get rid of... a lot of us do, its the mannor of which you adveritise it. maybe a simple poll would end all on this one: all items in 1 thread vs. all items in separate threads.

as i was saying theres probably a way i can make just 1 forum display a lot more threads per page

BoxDriver2
08-02-2003, 12:37 AM
First off, five years of parts. I have given a ton away as it is.

Second, neal, if you need parts, don't ask me anymore, even if it is free like the free stuff i gave away before that you asked about.

Third, if you have a damn problem with me, how about contacting me and dealing with it personally? Really, its NOT that difficult.

So, fine, i'll back off, you don't have to be an ass about it, my email is listed for a reason, so if anyone has a problem, feel free to contact me and we'll take care of it.

This is a bunch of :bs: