PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on removing Hood liner

Anonymous
12-04-2002, 11:37 PM
I have a 86 740T. I need to replace the windshield washer nozzle for the drivers side, one of the two is plugged. I've tried using a needle/paperclip to try and clear it, without sucess.
Removal of the hood liner seems pretty staightforward, turn the plastic screws and remove liner, no such luck! :oops: It seems that If I apply pressure to the plastic screw it might seperate, break, or tear the liner.

Any hints on whcih way to go is appreciated. :D

Chess

isaac
12-05-2002, 02:19 AM
There's actually a forked tool you can buy to pull those clips without damaging things. It's like a flatblade screwdriver with a slightly bent blade that's split down the middle so that it goes on both sides and gives you leverage. If you can replicate a tool like that, or buy it, you'd be in the house. Personally I just used a pair of pliers and yanked em like a wildman and nothing bad really happened. Those clips are pretty tough under the hood. They're not wusses like the ones in the interior.

boostdemon
12-05-2002, 02:32 AM
... or a zippo and hair spray

cant you get your hand in between there and pull the hose out, pop the crap one out push the hose up through the hole then put the new one on? or is there not enough room

Kjets On a Plane
12-05-2002, 02:43 AM
I hadve a very thin set of needle nosed plyers and first yanked the hose then squeezed the clips holding the washer in when it came out slightly lopsided I moved the one side out all the way and yanked/pryed the other side of the washer nozzle out and out it came. Then I just hooked it to a bike pump and ran 160PSi thourgh it and shot some of the wax that I had put on the car that day out of it.

Kjets On a Plane
12-05-2002, 02:45 AM
My car has no hood liner, but I have seen a mechanic do pretty much exactly what I did with a nicer set of pliers and fix one of these. I asked the owner what happened to the hood liner, he didn't know, so go figure. My car just lacks one I guess.

WeezilUSA
12-05-2002, 04:34 AM
My hoodliner is in pretty good shape... except when I got the car there seemed to be a large amount of dog food coming from under it... :e-shrug: ??? I dunno, but it seems to have stopped falling out.. (time to restock :uh: )

bitjockey
12-05-2002, 01:35 PM
[quote:70219b1850]except when I got the car there seemed to be a large amount of dog food coming from under it... [/quote:70219b1850]

Ahahahahah... thats hilarious. Mice maybe?

Anonymous
12-05-2002, 05:25 PM
It was not necessry to remove the liner afterall, and it would't have made a difference because the nozzles are not accessable (bracing), however you can pull back parts of the liner because some parts are slotted.
I used the metal insert from a garbage twist tie (thin, strong, and bendable) :D