• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Triple Gauge Mount for 7/940s

Turbo Jim

I wanted to get an oil pressure and temp gauge into my 940, but couldn't decide where to mount them. In the end I came up with this to replace the centre panel on the dash.

It's made of gelcoated fibreglass (and by this stage a fair amount of putty :-P )

The idea was to angle the gauges more as they get further away from the driver, and it's semi-worked, although they're not all at the same depth. I'm debating whether to start again as the second one of anything is always much better :)

These aren't necessarily the gauges I'll use either.

Dsc00271.jpg

Dsc00272.jpg

Sorry about all the crap on my desk, I'm not a tidy person.

It was really an experiment to see if I could make something halfway decent out of glassfibre. What do you guys think?!

As soon as Doug sends my LC-1 (not your fault Doug- I've already blamed Ryan!) I'll show you how to make an A pillar gauge pod for your 940.

turbodog said:
i think it looks good. but you could angle the gauges more towards the driver head. up and to the left.

Yeah... that should give you a better view of the readings...

I think it looks f-ing awesome! I'd love to know how you did it... did you take pics?

well done.

Mike

Gene_Gatech said:
damn i'm anxious to see this. Someone stateside should make these, i have no idea how to work with fiberglass...or any of that stuff.

I've got plenty of materials. I could quite easily make a LHD version, providing it's an exact mirror of the RHD drive. (I don't have a LHD car to check against)

I'd need to know the diameter of your gauges, as the VDO/Volvo ones are quite small compared to most 52mm gauges. Something like an autometer wouldn't fit in these holes.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Gene_Gatech said:
damn i'm anxious to see this. Someone stateside should make these, i have no idea how to work with fiberglass...or any of that stuff.

hmmmm. its not nice to copy someone elses' idea / parts unless you are going to make them better or alot cheaper. i'm not saying i wouldn't do it, but i'd be hesitant to do so.

pretty cool BTW

is it akward to look down to look at them?

jao said:
is it akward to look down to look at them?

Well, a little yes. You wouldn't want something like the speedo there, but for oil press/temp and a voltmeter, I think it's ok. It doesn't show too much in the pic, but they're all actually angled up and towards the driver.

I've just started working on a second one, want to try and get the angles more uniform. I may also make the holes bigger to allow different gauges to be used.

Gene_Gatech said:
Ok, so this is from a older style console, its creates 3 vdo gauge areas and a din slot, is that correct? I love this

Yep, 3 gauge mounts and a DIN slot for the stereo. It's for the 7/940 style dash, the 7/960s are different, as they just have 2 DIN trays to start with, standard DIN gauge mounts are readily available.

The don't fit the 740 very well, because of the shape of the stock radio tray. (hence this little project) They should fit the 760 as that has two normal DIN trays. Do a quick search on ebay and you'll turn something up.

Cheers,

Jim

Gene_Gatech said:
for the 7/940 dashes? where? that would be awesome.
I did a search on eBay for 'din gauge' and it came up with a few.

jao said:
hmmmm. its not nice to copy someone elses' idea / parts unless you are going to make them better or alot cheaper. i'm not saying i wouldn't do it, but i'd be hesitant to do so.
Agreed, but the OP is in the UK, and thus RHD, whereas Gene is in GA, and thus LHD - so the panel that TurboJim is making wouldn't fit on our cars. Copying the *idea* for use in a similar application where the original part would not fit would be just peachy, IMHO.

Back