• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DIY:Body kit??

Is it possible to build a bodykit yourself, since I do not like what is offered for my 740GLE, and I also dont truely like the price of them either......so is it possible to build your own custom bodykit, if so how??... what tools measurments etc would I need to do so??...and how should I go about doing this????

its possible, a few of the guys here have done it, i know there used to be a bright green 240 with a custom front air damn that looked amazing, also someone was attempting to graft a civic front bumper onto a 240 one. I dont have much info on how to make one but it is an interesting idea. One of the guys in our calgary volvo club used rona roofing caps on his 740 as side skirts, they look awesome, i thought it was a kit that you could buy until he told me what they were.

As for materials, i guess you would just have to used fibreglass? and kinda make your own molds for it.

The easiest way to do it yourself is to lay either clay for foam on to your car and carve it to the shape you want, then apply a surface hardener. From that you can make molds of your existing shapes to reproduce them in fiberglass

The better looking ones IMO have enough stock bits grafted into them that they don't look riced out. Like Nchoy's wagon of x-mas past.. That had some 850 and v70 bits cut in didn't it? Probably makes mounting somewhat easier as well. Bolt 'em up however they cut to fit then glass it all together and paint it?

ID of front spoiler please?

Could someone please ID the front spoiler of a hot deep blue 240 on the gallery - volvo240tic.com/vallis0334.jpg. Who makes it and website wuld be very much appreciated.

swedegarage said:
Could someone please ID the front spoiler of a hot deep blue 240 on the gallery - volvo240tic.com/vallis0334.jpg. Who makes it and website wuld be very much appreciated.

it is called the 'Bross' kit i believe. you can get it through www.brickstylz.com.

i thought my front airdam was coming along pretty good. i had got to a decent-roughed in place and ended up hitting a piece of tire on the highway. didn't turn out so well for the airdam.

it is definatly easier to start with something and manipulate it into what you want. on the other hand sometimes i thought that starting from scratch would have been easier.

good luck!

oh lots of pictures here: www.pbase.com/jaodesign

I want the rear bross bumper on my car, but I migh as well make ti from sctratch or make a plywood mould then fibreglass something.

The easiest way to do it yourself is to lay either clay for foam on to your car and carve it to the shape you want, then apply a surface hardener. From that you can make molds of your existing shapes to reproduce them in fiberglass

agreed...

you can get fiberglass at home depot. main thing is time. it takes time to practice with fiberglass until you have a lot of skill with it to make something good. then you've got to sand it, prep it and paint it too.

using clay would be a very good method. if you have a local community college around, the ceramics departments often sell clay. you can reuse most of the clay by rehydrating and kneading it as well.

it's a labor of love, but it will undoubtedly be less expensive than buying one - then again, what could have you done with your time? could you have been working at Taco Hell and earned the money to buy it in the time it takes to make it?

Back