PDA

View Full Version : John and Megís excellent cross country adventure!

The Aspirator
09-15-2006, 09:05 PM
http://trollmedia.com/cars/my244-02.jpg

http://trollmedia.com/fun/Ontario-trip/trip-map01.jpg

2,800 miles one way. Biggest roadtrip Iíve ever taken (by far). Well when I was 12 my family pretty much did the same route (west) but that doesnít count cause I wasnít driving, nor was I alone, and I was young.

I will be driving out to Ontario alone, Meg will be flying out. Weíll stay with her family for around 2-3 weeks then both drive back together through Canada. I really have no idea how much driving I can take in a day, since Iíve never really done a big roadrip outside of my state or province. Weíll see! I figure if I do 10 hours a day, more on the first day, then I can get to my destination in 4 full days. No biggie, Iíve planned camping spots all along the way so if I canít do 10hrs a day Iíve got stops in mind thatíll work fine. Itíll be a long and lonely trip, but I actually enjoy driving by myself, gives me time to think/plan/benchrace. Plus! My CD player in the car has an auxiliary input so I can plug my laptop right into the car speakers. That gives me hundreds of songs that I will be playing throughout the trip, no need for piddly 20 song cdís! And I got a whole bunch of standup comedy so Iíll be playing that and laughing my ass off in the middle of South Dakota.

Car preparation has been a bit of a task. In the next month Iím putting as many miles on my new engine as I have in the past 6 months since I finished it. And it hasnít been exactly ďtrouble freeĒ either. But lately itís been behaving itself just fine so Iím feeling pretty confident about it. Since my back doesnít really agree with the 240 seats, I decided to finally figure out how to mount these 850 charcoal leather seats into my carÖ. Boy, NOT the easiest thing in the world, actually quite a pain in the ass. If you canít bend/cut/weld metal then donít even think about it.

http://trollmedia.com/cars/850seats01.jpg
http://trollmedia.com/cars/850seats02.jpg

But after putting a hundred miles on this seat Iím actually REALLY happy that I put it in, itís soooooooo much more comfortable than the stock seats (even with good foam), so much more supportive for my back, and itís power! Hooking up the power was stupid easy, a ground and a switched ignition. Thereís a seat heater too but I didnít want to wire it up. I only had time to install the driver seat, and I wonít have time to put the passenger seat in before I leave. Meg is kinda bummed but what are ya gonna do, Iím putting twice the miles in Ďem as she is. Having a freaking headrest that is USEABLE is the best thing in the world. 850 seats rock.

Special thanks to John Lane for the new rear tires, my old rear ones were quite bald from all the fun that the welded diff has provided me:
http://trollmedia.com/cars/my244-01.jpg

Adrian and Leivon came over last week for the day and helped me clean up the car and do a bunch of little stuff to get ready for the trip. Leivon found out that my tranny (M46) sucked up almost two quarts of fluid while he topped it off, boy it really is leaky! I sandblasted the wheels and painted them silver, made a huge difference, they look great. Also finally got rid of the commandos and installed skinny bumpers. Then we body-colored my front spoiler lip, man does that look cool!!!

The engine is doing just fine, around 6,800 miles right now. Iíve really gotta paint that valve cover silverÖ. Iím confident that itíll make the trip without hassle. I wouldnít bet money that the turbo will last all that long, but weíll see. James (945ti) has lent me a spare one that Iíll bring with me in case mine dumps the bed. Iíll have ALL my tools so swapping in a turbo at a truck stop will be totally do-able. My current one is just getting really loose and blowing oil out the compressor wheel.

http://trollmedia.com/cars/my244-03.jpg

Unfortunately Iíve pretty much got to bomb out there, wonít have time to meet up with T-brickers along the way. Which sucks because if I need parts along the way I have no one to call, hahahaha. I should be good, like I said Iíll be bringing extras of everything and plenty of tools.

Iím hoping to get close to 30mpg on the long stretches, Iíll let you guys know how that goes for me! I know Iíll get 25+. I spent 2 hours this morning driving the backroads tuning my fuel maps with VexME, it was my first time using it, pretty neat program.

While writing this thread I canít help but to think of Matt. His memory will live on forever. So I just wanted to say that I will be safe and careful while Iím out there on the open road and Iíll try to check in whenever I get a wireless signal for the laptop. Apparently most KOA campgrounds have wireless, which is awesome as thatís where Iíll be camping the whole time.

This epic adventure will start on Sunday September 17th, 4:00am. Thatís only 35 hours away! Iím hoping to make Billings Montana in the first day, if not then Missoula or Butte for sure. I canít wait, super excited and a little bit nervous.

John

fengler
09-15-2006, 09:07 PM
good luck! get mikes(thelostartof) number just in case!

speedn_j
09-15-2006, 09:11 PM
good call on avoiding nebraska that is sucha boring state to drive through. you might wanna avoid chi-town during the morning and afterwork rush hour. have fun ..i'm not too far away if you have any problems.

JohnMc
09-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Awesome, I love road trips. We just got back from putting 3500 miles on the wife's 4Runner going all around CO and UT.

pwschuh
09-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Have a great trip!

Road trips in 240 Turbos are great. When it was new, I drove my 245 Turbo from Portland, Oregon to San Diego to Boston, Mass and back to San Diego. By myself the whole trip. I had no complaints about the seats.

adrianpike
09-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Good luck! I'll watch my cell phone if you run into trouble.

Have a safe trip, no breakdowns, mechanical issues, or incidents allowed!

Hank Scorpio
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Good luck john!!!

badvlvo
09-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Good luck, you are diriving through some desolate landscape.

NiM130
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
San Dimas High School football rules!

boosted
09-15-2006, 11:20 PM
have a safe, and great trip bud!!

mrbman7
09-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Good luck D00D! If you need to stop near seattle, we're at the 520 / I405 junction.

We did a trip out to St. Louis from Seattle that was very fun indeed. If you can, take smaller highways rather than the interstate; they're much more interesting and when we did it, it didnt take us any more time! Very worth it if you ask me.

Best of luck!

CAPT_BLOTTO
09-15-2006, 11:30 PM
woah 850 seats > 240 seats. So much more comfortable. That'll make the ride a lot nicer. When i took my 240 on a road trip. I was acheing. Good luck, have fun, take rest stops!

Matt Dupuis
09-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Dammit John - what I would give for an excuse to do your trip for you. I've driven from Calgary to Toronto a few times, Calgary to Chicago more frequently. Like speedin_j said, avoid Chicago in the daytime - try to bomb thru it at about 4:00 AM. Driving thru Chicago really about the most interesting part of the trip... but it gives you a ton of time to think, charge your batteries, and just... drive.

Redbull and comedy thru North Dakota will be your friend. I freakin' hate that state, because that state freakin' hates me. I always get bad weather coming thru ND - I hope your luck is better. Really, once you get past the Montana/ND border, it gets kind of boring. Watch out for bambi!!! Got any good driving lights, or are you planning on driving thru the day?

Stay safe - you're one of my favourite half-dozen Tbrickers, and I want you to remain that way.

Canuckvolvo
09-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Safe drive bud. I've done that drive a few times too, last time was bringing Darth back from New Jersey. Try not to go insane with the "5990miles to the Wall Drugstore!" "3903miles to the Wall Drugstore!" billboards as you cross the plains. Course they're about the only thing to look at for 2 days....

Don't suppose MS has a cruise control function? I've already got comfy seats, but cruise is going in before next years drive...

GTJordan
09-16-2006, 12:54 AM
John,

I've doen ltos of of long distance hauls mainly in BC though. I realized that driving through the flat lands is the WORST. There is nothing. Barely any tree's. All the suggestions I've had from prarie folk is sunflower seeds, they keep your mind off of the "nothing".

Be Very careful. When I saw the thread I thought of Matt.... I hope/know you're fate will be much better. Watch out for deer and other drivers, you don't want to be stuck in the middle of know where.

Glad to see you finally put the 850 seats in.... The drivers one that doesn't recline, pull of the rear of the seat cover, there is a cable, cut the plastic part a bit to shorted it up. It will work. The plastic just stretches over time.

On your way back you gotta stop in winterpeg (bringing my head??)....

Have a great trip john, most of my best memories are from road trips that I did on my own.

Lots of pictures!

Jordan

m4ld0.^
09-16-2006, 12:55 AM
hey man, best of luck too you with all that. i hope to one day do this a long, mainly because i like driving alone when i have my own tunes and nothing else to worry about with the exception of driving.

be careful out there, some people are complete dolts. good luck again!

Crazychopstick
09-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Have fun!

Be safe!

Rest.

GTJordan
09-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Also, slightest feeling of being tired... stop, get out, go for a run....

Jordan

Morley
09-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Also, slightest feeling of being tired... stop, get out, go for a run....

Jordan

/take a nap.

Did you sort out that cracked block?

drftvlvo240
09-16-2006, 03:37 AM
goodluck!
drive safe!
take pics!

JW240
09-16-2006, 03:47 AM
have fun!

Kjets On a Plane
09-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Looks like a great start!
Your car can't possibly break down...the battery won't fail because it will be forced into working right by my battery box. The turbo will last 10K miles because it has a replacement sitting right near it.
+1 to hating ND. I have driven the 945ti to minnesota and back on trips. No speed limits in MT FTW...as long as there aren't tractors....bloody tractors.
Like everyone says, the flat is the killer. Make sure you are well caffine dosed and listening to something plenty up beat. I like the plains, but it won't feel anything like the PNW, which might be good in your case...though even if you haven't seen lots and lots of plane, I'd say it is universally boring after an hour or less.
I can't reliably drive more than about 10-11 hours without significant caffine help or some good nap time. I would rest plenty and try to get the flat eastern MT/ND stretch over with as quickly as possible and use what caffine you have to there. I am almost dangerous on the B-ham or western MT drive now...done it too many times. Just took the 744ti up to b-ham...it is quiet, has freezing A/C, cruise and everything works on it (aka soopa stock) and I felt a little sleepy in it. I am not sure, but I believe the total distance on the plains might be a little shorter in canada...it sure feels like forever to Minneapolis from here stateside.
I am glad I infected another t-bricker with the skinny bumper bug...it is contagious.
With the cruise set at 70-80, I got 30 and 32mpg in the 744ti. 31-33 in the former beater 245. The 945 at stock ride height with a roof rack gets 27-29.
Give me a holler if you need something...or whatever, you know the number.

Chigga 744SE
09-16-2006, 04:04 AM
dude, holler about my info, we can meet up and get trashed and get some hookahs.

klr142
09-16-2006, 06:18 AM
SWEET!!! Car looks great man! And those seats, what a kickass mod! I don't fit in the 240 seats for crap either... Well enough I guess for the Canada trip, but not nearly as well as a set of those would. I like to have the rear of the bottom cushion lower than the front of the cushion, and then that puts my shoulderblades right above the indent in the stock seats. Very not comfy.

Good luck man! Have fun! Maybe go for a jog each morning before you head out to get your juices flowing for the rest of the day. I always seem to be more lively if I get some excercise in. Sadly, that's almost never. It'll put you in a better mood too though, so do it! :)

Gizmo
09-16-2006, 12:55 PM
car looks fantastic. good luck on the mpg, and pace yourself. I've made many a run between NJ and New Orleans (about 1500 miles one way), and there's always the urge to keep pressing on for a ten hour driving day or so... sometimes you can only do 8. sometimes your exhausted and can only do 6. pushing yourself too hard will only reduce the number of hours you can safely drive the next day.
Drive Safe, best of luck, and in that 240, you look like you'll be in good hands.

JonnyScorch
09-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Good luck John!! I hope the ride goes well for ya! How far are you going in Ontario? Hamilton?

The Aspirator
09-16-2006, 02:18 PM
We'll be staying in Grimsby most of the time, then up to Toronto for a quick day, then on to Kingston (wolf island) for another few days. So yeah Jonathan, we should totally have a volvo meet going on. Let me know if you can hook up with all the local guys and get something organized, I won't be tooooo busy when I'm in Grimsby. Chigga unfortunately I'm pretty lame by your standards, I don't drink and I'm engaged :rofl:. But I've totally gotta meet the Chigmeister. So lets set up a meet, anytime the week of the 25th should work for me, although apparently we're going to pennsylvania for a few days, not sure when that'll be. Who's the guy with the V8 in the 1800? He's in Ontario somewhere right? Wouldn't mind seeing that car if he's close.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement guys, can't freakin wait!!! For the Chicago section I'm going to skip it by going around it to the south on hwy 80 and 94. Hopefully that won't be too busy, although I will try to hit it at an odd time.

Glad to see you finally put the 850 seats in.... The drivers one that doesn't recline, pull of the rear of the seat cover, there is a cable, cut the plastic part a bit to shorted it up. It will work. The plastic just stretches over time.:???: The drivers one does recline, the motor takes it almost down to the rear seat. Perfect for powernaps. Sunflower seeds are a cool idea. Jordan I'll see if I can squeeze your cylinder head into my car somewhere, but I'll make no promises. Plus it is a lot of weight. Also, slightest feeling of being tired... stop, get out, go for a run....Great advice, that or a quick powernap. There's NO reason to push myself if I'm feeling tired, that'd just be stupid for this trip.

Did you sort out that cracked block?Heh heh heh, yup I did. 2,000+ miles later and it doesn't leak a drop (looks cool painted silver). John Lane is the mofuggin MAN:
http://trollmedia.com/cars/b23-build64.jpg

Right now I've got just a few hours to finish getting the car ready. Gotta RainX the windshield, put coolant in (just water right now), hook up the bypassed heater core so I actually have heat for the trip, mess with my headlight wiring, install the splash pan, maybe re-wire my e-fan with something other than 16-18 gauge wiring, and whatever else I can think of.

Matt you were right about my Baro corrections on MS. The limits were set to 8 and 10, so when I set them to 80 and 100 like they're supposed to be my car ran soooooooper lean, barely ran at all. I had to move my whole fuel map up by 20 then it was normal again. Hopefully it'll drive well through montana where I'll get above 5000ft! And hell, if it does go lean again then I'll just bust out the laptop and make a quick "high altitude map" that'll be rich enough. Or would just turning Baro corrections off work too?

Thanks again guys, this trip is gonna be epic for me :spin: :ohjoy: (dude we have new smileys! Griz has his own, it's hilarious!)

245gti
09-16-2006, 03:30 PM
then both drive back together through Canada.

John

This had better include a stop in Calgary for at least a day.

We have a bed for you for as long as you want...;-)

Be careful out there. It's not you I worry about...it's the other idiots on the road...:grrr:

The Aspirator
09-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks Dale, yes we are planning a night in Calgary and I DEFINITELY will be seeing you guys, lets do a BBQ or something. Not sure if we'll beg a bed from you or from some family friends that we have there too. Also planning a night in Winterpeg, we'll be staying with Meg's best friend. Jordan I wanna see the new house! So I'll let you know when I'm in town, we'll get together.

GTJordan
09-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Sounds good man. Any time.... I'll PM you my phone number and address when ti gets closer to time.... Probably be snow on the road in 3-4 weeks though...

Jordan

The Aspirator
09-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Eeek, well then it is a good thing I have new tires on the back.

pat244ti
09-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Have a fun, safe trip John!

Canuckvolvo
09-16-2006, 06:52 PM
theres also the guy somewhere in ON that has that twin turbo jspec motor in his 242....

JonnyScorch
09-16-2006, 10:41 PM
theres also the guy somewhere in ON that has that twin turbo jspec motor in his 242....

Say WHAT!?!?! i neeed to see this!

Anyhow, let me/us know what you have in mind when you get to ontario.. I'm still a few hours east of Kingston, in Cornwall to be specific, but I might be able to make it down to kingston or possibly Toronto depending on how the timing works out.. we also have a bridge/border crossing in our city, incase you wanted to work it into the trip to the states. You could stop by for a bite to eat/change your oil, whatever, before heading back out west..

Leivon
09-16-2006, 11:45 PM
John,
I really hope you can get a wireless signal more times than not. You not being able to check the board at least 15 times each day will be a real heartbreaker for you :rofl:. Megs family is gonna love the sexy brick. Except they may not appreciate you not installing the pimp seat for Meg though. "What the **** is this John? you get comfort and our daughter doesn't? Well you can just sleep outside then, sucka."

Be safe and have fun man, I look forward to seeing that movie with you when you get home.

Leivon

brickhead
09-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Have fun. be SAFE. If you feel tired,rest.
Im in Chicago. still doing construction on the xways here ,looks like you coming thru I94 to 80-94 up thru Michigan.

hey if you need anything like parts or whatever, PM me and ill give you my celly.

The Aspirator's Girl
09-17-2006, 01:01 AM
"What the **** is this John? you get comfort and our daughter doesn't? Well you can just sleep outside then, sucka."
Leivon

:rofl: :rofl: How did you know?!?

I think they'll just be so impressed that the volvo and John arrived in one piece,
that they'll overlook the mismatched seats...

Then again... I am their only daughter.. ;-)

Have a great drive to Billings tomorrow, John !

Canuckvolvo
09-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Say WHAT!?!?! i neeed to see this!

ah, found it..

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=51759

The Aspirator
09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Well apparently it's not a good thing to be staying up past midnight working on the car when I was planning on being out the door at 4am.... So I got up at 6am, it's just about 7 and I'm heading out the door, SUPER PUMPED. Don't know if I'll make Billings tonight, but Missoula probably for sure.

See you guys later!!!

Kirby
09-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Safe drive bud. I've done that drive a few times too, last time was bringing Darth back from New Jersey. Try not to go insane with the "5990miles to the Wall Drugstore!" "3903miles to the Wall Drugstore!" billboards as you cross the plains. Course they're about the only thing to look at for 2 days....

Don't suppose MS has a cruise control function? I've already got comfy seats, but cruise is going in before next years drive...

I've done this trip probably 20 times now and I hate those stupid wall drug signs. it was always me and another guy driving non-stop the whole way. We made it to maine from vancouver in 78 hours last year.

ovlov760
09-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Are you by any chance heading through the quad cities(moline, davenport, east moline, rock island)?

The Aspirator's Girl
09-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I got a text this evening. Good driving so far, he's camping out in Billings tonight,
and says it's COLD!

Geoff240Ti
09-18-2006, 03:13 AM
John don't forget if you need anything in Sask I can do my best to help you out.. If anything is seriously wrong coming back through sask we can get you into the heated shop (Estevan is 2 hours off the #1 unfortunately) but I should have any spare part if need be.

If your passing through regina on the #1 it'd be cool to take you and Meg out for lunch! (I'm not sure what day you'll be coming through and if I'll be living there though.. but I'll keep an eye on this thread anyway, or just PM me.

Good luck on the trip! Hope the car treats you well.. you deserve a flawless trip for the work put into that thing!

Geoff240Ti
09-18-2006, 03:16 AM
I got a text this evening. Good driving so far, he's camping out in Billings tonight,
and says it's COLD!

If the weather in North Dakota is anything like here.. he will be seeing some really chilly temps. It's only +6C here right now :omg:

The Aspirator's Girl
09-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Update from the road:

John's in Sioux Falls, SD and is doing some repair work. His turbo is falling off :omg:
But, he's got all his tools, and his welder, so he should get it fixed up today and be back on the road soon.

Canuckvolvo
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM
somehow i don't think that crappy tire 300W inverter will run his welder on the side of the road :lol:
Wow, and I thought *I* was prepared on a road trip! He'll have a TT supra motor in there by the time he gets home I bet...

mrbman7
09-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Haha, i love it!

Way to make the trip "edge of your seat" john!!! You never know what might fall off!

JW240
09-19-2006, 01:14 PM
he brought a welder? meh, just zip tie the throttle so the engine runs 4000 rpm and weld of the battery :-P

kahluaTDI
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
get a bead seat cover so your back doesnt sweat

77240dl
09-19-2006, 04:10 PM
If you stop in grand rapids michigan, go to a place called Yesterdog... its a great place to get some killer hot dogs, for the cheap...

adrianpike
09-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Update from the road:
Two turbo studs broke, he's tapping the 90+ in a Napa parking lot in Sioux City, Iowa ATM.

igor
09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Way to keep us interested - good luck John!

Morley
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
If you pass by my place, bed, tools and beers are on the house!

Oh wait....:-P

Leivon
09-19-2006, 05:49 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

oh john, good luck bud hope everything works out now.

the welder turned out to be a good idea, nice call.

The Aspirator's Girl
09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
It took all day, but the car's back on the road,
though he's got no boost at the moment, so it's slower, but going.

adrianpike
09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
It took all day, but the car's back on the road,
though he's got no boost at the moment, so it's slower, but going.

Boost is overrated anyways. :-D

Inc3pt
09-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Boost is overrated anyways. :-D

BLASPHEMY!!!

Heh heh heh, yup I did. 2,000+ miles later and it doesn't leak a drop (looks cool painted silver). John Lane is the mofuggin MAN:
http://trollmedia.com/cars/b23-build64.jpg

If anyone (since John is currently out) could shine some light on this...

Are these the exhaust side freeze plugs? If not, what part of the block is this?

If it is the exhaust side of the block, then how was the welding done, and what was put in the holes (Are they regular freeze plugs? I'm used to the B21FT ones..)?

Hope the rest of the trip goes well John!

Kjets On a Plane
09-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Ouch!
I guess I get to put M10 studs in there to replace the smaller M8 like Kevin Hawkinson is all on about when I re-work my DP saturday. The M8 if not stressed might be able to hang onto a T3urbo, but the 13C is much lighter, and the other support bracketry on the DP on the 90+ cars is much more extensive.
Anyway, that sounds like a bummer, but I bet you will be glad to get clean again john! Anyway, as long as the crimped nuts aren't used too many times, you have a shot of keeping it tight. With fresh nuts, my mani/turbo have stayed well put. I could definately stand to up-size the hardware a notch and add a DP bracket though.

klr142
09-20-2006, 02:30 AM
Jiminy Christmas! Quite the adventure... Lol. I bet it has something to do with John's exhaust setup... Maybe when he gets back he'll have to change that stuff.

Press on, my man!

edicius
09-20-2006, 02:39 AM
not dragging on the ground? John and I would hit our Dp's on every bump at PNW.
Best of luck on the trip.

klr142
09-20-2006, 03:35 AM
not dragging on the ground? John and I would hit our Dp's on every bump at PNW.
Best of luck on the trip.
Exactly. Well, that and the fact that it should probably be connected to the transmission/bellhousing or something before the flex joint, if possible. That way it wouldn't stress the downpipe, turbo or manifold much, if at all, and still allowing the rest of the exhaust to move around.

The Aspirator
09-20-2006, 07:07 AM
somehow i don't think that crappy tire 300W inverter will run his welder on the side of the road Hahaha, it's a 160 amp inverter and today it died while I was trying to charge my cordless drill battery on it! Guess it's only good for laptops and cell phones, now I've gotta buy another one.

Ohhhh man, today was SOOOOOO LONG! Well I guess it was yesterday. So yesterday at 3am I rolled into beautiful Sioux City Iowa, stopped at Ihop and had a wonderful french toast breakfast. Started the car up and heard putputputputputputputput, humm, wonder if the exhaust is coming loose... The top two bolts on the 90+ busted. So I spent the next two hours tearing it apart in a gas station to look closer, couldn't fix it, had to re-assemble everything and go shopping. Took a 2 hour nap cause nothing was open yet. Went to Toyota, found the BEST turbo studs a guy could ask for!! $1.20 each, M10x1.25, they're freaking awesome, James make sure I get you the part number, you're gonna wanna use these ones. Spent the next 6 hours looking for a place to work on the car and getting it all done. Between all the taps and drill bits and nuts and bolts, I spent $70 today that I hadn't intended on spending on anything but gas.... Ohh well, works great now, looks pimp. Took it for a spin, no boost.... WTF? All that work to make it perfect and now I get to drive boostless. N/A's are SOOOO SLOW! I drove it for an hour or two and figured that my custom wastegate flapper (made from a bolt, washer, welder) had fallen apart.

Eventually I found out that I forgot to tighten the intercooler pipe at the IC :roll: . Put it back on, WOAH turbos are fast! That's what no sleep and working hard all day get me... Not suprising really. :-P

So yeah, it's been a great trip so far!!! Yesterday was tough, and I'm really sore from it now, but ohh well, I did expect something to fail. I've put over 2000 miles on the car in just the past 3 days. Nothing too eventful otherwise. Ohh yeah, funny thing on my MPG quest.... You know when you bring your modded car to the track for the first time and you're thinking "man it's pretty fast, might even do 13's!", then it runs a 15.3 and you're all dissapointed? Well I've been getting between 19-21mpg consistently the whole time, and no matter how I tune it I can't get better than that! WTF?? Ohh well, I'll screw with it more when I have time in ontario.

Sorry for the no-update until now, I just found a wireless signal. Some of the rest stops that claimed they had it didn't. So yeah, ONWARDS! Gotta get a power inverter today so I can play my tunes in the car again (off the lappytop), big thanks to my bro Erik for the 1000+ songs he gave me for the trip.

John

Ohh, PS. Right now I'm halfway between Des Moines and Davenport Iowa.

DaytonAE86
09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure what tranny and diff fluid you are running, but that can really help with mileage (royal purple for me :) ).

My Ford Ranger gets 25+ on the highway consistently. When I got it new, it would average maybe 21, probably less. With Royal Purple ATF/gear oil, it shot through the roof (21 and 25+ were both obtained with 92-93) It made more of a difference than Mobil1 did. I can get 500 miles out of an 18 gallon tank with all highway, 390-410 w/ city driving.

So... maybe if you have time, change tranny fluid and get a reading on your mileage.

Also, there is talk that these groove thingies in your head may help (although, pulling the head on a crosscountry trip seems like a bad idea).

speedn_j
09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
where can a person get royal purple other than mail order?

DaytonAE86
09-20-2006, 03:12 PM
At a gas station, they stock it at WPAFBs station next to the commissary and BX.

boosted
09-20-2006, 03:16 PM
carquest

ovlov760
09-20-2006, 06:38 PM
John just left here and is on his way to the Chicago area. The car seemed to be running well. We were not able to find a inverter.

http://www.cramptonstation.com/aspirator1.jpg

http://www.cramptonstation.com/aspirator2.jpg

Leivon
09-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Text message from the aspirator:
"Dude there's like real black people here in Illinois! Trip is going awesome man, just spent a few hours with Ovlov760."

hahahahahhaa.
Good to hear you got everything back together John, stay safe out there.

Canuckvolvo
09-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Text him back, tell him to ask if they know Leivon from Canada.

Tfest
09-21-2006, 12:56 PM
is he going to pass through Portland, OR on his way up I-5 to canada?

The Aspirator's Girl
09-21-2006, 01:16 PM
is he going to pass through Portland, OR on his way up I-5 to canada?

No, we're going back through canada on the return trip, taking the transcanada.

Text this a.m. said he'd be rolling into Grimsby today.

The Aspirator
09-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Just arrived in Grimsby, showered and shaved and feeling much better. I haven't yet added up the total mileage and driving time but I do have it all written down, google says it's 2,800mi. It was an amazing experience, 5 days all by myself doing nothing but driving. I mean come on, how awesome is that! I had a BLAST. Suprisingly I didn't find South Dakota boring, it seemed to go pretty quick although I'm not really sure why. So other than breaking those two turbo studs and spending a whole day replacing them, and blowing up my power inverter while trying to charge my drill, the car performed flawlessly.

Ovlov, great to hang out with ya man. I stopped by a town called Peru just east of you and as I was pulling into the walmart parking lot I noticed a Big Lots store that you were talking about. They had a sweet Coleman 400/800w inverter for $25 bucks, done sold thank you. That first pic is awesome!

Rolled into Joliet (just southwest of Chicago) at around 8:30pm, stopped for some ribs. This city is where I took a wrong turn and wound up down in the industrial section pretty quick. The old no-longer-functioning industrial section... Thugs everywhere, kinda scary. Especially since Leivon is like the only black guy that I even know of within a 100 mile radius of where I live, and he's been brought up white ;-). So I got there late cause I really wanted to miss all the stupid heavy Chicago traffic, left the restaurant at like 9 and popped in some stand-up comedy (been saving it all trip). Hit less than an hour of traffic but man did it ever go fast, Dennis Leary standup had me practically pissing my pants laughing, after that it was the blue coller comedy tour, then some Dane Cook. I was fine till early into the morning. Today I listened to Carlos Mencia and some old school Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) standup. Took a few powernaps at rest stops, actually I've been doing that the past three nights, only camped the first night in Montana.

What an experience it's been. I mean on one hand driving is driving and since I wasn't doing any touristy stuff that's all I was doing. So sometimes I'd just have to remind myself "Holy crap, I'm in the middle of the country in a car I have built myself and had into a million pieces numerous times, and I just left yesterday." The continental divide, the missisippi, Chicago, etc. Lots of cool stuff that I've never done before, at least not on my own! And never have I ever driven even CLOSE to this much in this timeframe. Even the ammount of driving I did just today (9hrs), I don't think if I've ever done that much before in a day. But you know what? The driving was easy, very fun actually. Sometimes I did get tired and very drowsy, but that's because I was stupid enough to only sleep a few hours here and a few there each night. My knees were a bit sore today but nothing major. My back has been FINE with that 850 seat, I absolutely LOVE IT. Although just this morning it decided that the recline motor doesn't want to work for me anymore. Sucky, though at least it's stuck in my perfect driving position.

So many places, so many memories, changes of scenery, people I've met, weather, etc, it's all been wonderful. The whole trip has been a relatively cold one, never did my back get sweaty on the leather and I usually had the heat on, at least a little bit. Montana area was C O L D! South Dakota was fairly nice but with a really strong cold wind from the north, I dropped my credit card while filling gas and it flew away like 20ft before I got to it. Iowa was really nice but a bit windy too, same for Illinois. Michigan I did all at night, clear skies. And here in ontario it's the warmest place yet. I didn't hit any rain the whole trip either, although the roads were icy in Butte when I left at 3am (yeah, camping was that cold).

I'll get some pics organized and post them soon, I haven't even looked through them yet.

John

Matt Dupuis
09-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Suprisingly I didn't find South Dakota boring, it seemed to go pretty quick although I'm not really sure why.
I had a brain fart and thought you'd be rolling thru North Dakota, even though you clearly mapped it out for us. I've never driven thru SD, so I can't say if it's as boring or not, though because ND is the ******* of the universe, I doubt it.

No offense to anyone who lives in ND... you really should move tho.

adrianpike
09-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Ovlov, great to hang out with ya man. I stopped by a town called Peru just east of you and as I was pulling into the walmart parking lot I noticed a Big Lots store that you were talking about. They had a sweet Coleman 400/800w inverter for $25 bucks, done sold thank you. That first pic is awesome!
Big Lots ftw! I've found some good deals in the one in Bham, but nothing like that.

Rolled into Joliet (just southwest of Chicago) at around 8:30pm, stopped for some ribs. This city is where I took a wrong turn and wound up down in the industrial section pretty quick. The old no-longer-functioning industrial section... Thugs everywhere, kinda scary. Especially since Leivon is like the only black guy that I even know of within a 100 mile radius of where I live, and he's been brought up white ;-).
Somewhere in Joliet right now, a bunch of guys are having dinner and talking about that creepy car that was painted all different colors and kept driving around.

I had a brain fart and thought you'd be rolling thru North Dakota, even though you clearly mapped it out for us. I've never driven thru SD, so I can't say if it's as boring or not, though because ND is the ******* of the universe, I doubt it.

My girlfriend's family is from ND. They scare me sometimes.

ovlov760
09-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Ovlov, great to hang out with ya man. I stopped by a town called Peru just east of you and as I was pulling into the walmart parking lot I noticed a Big Lots store that you were talking about. They had a sweet Coleman 400/800w inverter for $25 bucks, done sold thank you. That first pic is awesome![
It was good seeing you to. It's nice to actually meet another tbricker. I wish my car had been in better running condition. At least now you know what a slipping aw71 acts like. :rofl: no power to the wheels ftl.. :grrr:

Big Lots is great! It's Jerry Van Dykes favorite store, so you can't lose! You might have been able to find one of those small cut off saws there for $30.

I didn't hit any rain the whole trip either, although the roads were icy in Butte when I left at 3am (yeah, camping was that cold).

You missed the rain here by a day.

Neil Peart
09-21-2006, 08:46 PM
San Dimas High School football rules!

thats where i live...

Hank Scorpio
09-21-2006, 10:29 PM
John Im so jealous! I had a blast drivin XC!

Good luck with the rest of the trip1

GTJordan
09-21-2006, 10:46 PM
John,

When you get here maybe we'll fix that seat for you... Really simple fix.... Told ya somthing wasn't moving on it. \

So glad to hear you made it-aok.......

Jordan

klr142
09-21-2006, 11:52 PM
w00h00! Sounds like fun man! Cept for turbo studs... You have a 90+ on there now, right?

And that shower must've felt GREAAAAAAAAAT! :)

Matt Dupuis
09-22-2006, 01:22 AM
My girlfriend's family is from ND. They scare me sometimes.
And yer impersonationization of them this summer had me peeing just a little bit.

Tha VZA
09-22-2006, 01:50 AM
good to hear things are going well John, hopefully i'll get to meet you in Calgary when you come thru! just make sure you have some more music/comedy for SK...no offense to Geoff, but driving SK sucks, i have experienced it before :zzz:

that post you made makes me wanna just drive across the USA for shat's and giggles...we need to organize a turbobricks/volvospeed USA gumball 3000 type event, just without the crazy expensive party's and cops pulling us over every 10 clicks...make it true TB style, as cheap as possible...who's down? :)

have a great drive thru Canada!

ciao