PDA

View Full Version : Installed an earlier model 965 headliner and moonroof into my 745t

gattigang
09-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Bought the headliner for around $40 including the moonroof and few other matching plastic pieces. I just finished installing only the moonroof because it started to rain here in Virginia. I will install the headliner first thing tomorrow and do a few polishing around the roof area where the wind deflector left some discoloration. I don't think it's going back on ...... I've always hated them anyways. :grrr: The install of the moonroof was very easy but after reading a few post about drilling extra holes I didn't come across any of that. I've also noticed the top of the moonroof has some kind of plastic border and can't make of it. I'm not sure if it's factory and the ones I've seen posted here do not have borders. Can someone fill me in on whether this plastic border piece is OEM or something of an aftermarket? Thanks :cool:

Headliner will be installed first thing tomorrow..... rain has delayed this little project for tonite

g@ttigang

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0388.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0394.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0391.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0402.jpg

Aoder1
09-16-2006, 11:42 PM
me gusta mucho!.........like it alot g@tti!......sweet carz

gattigang
09-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks man. I see you guys had a good turnout on the meet. Saw your 744ti pic on one of the post and it's really looking good. :cool: Sorry couldn't meet up with you guys and as you can see I've been busy and trying to get things done before it starts to get cold over here. :-D

g@ttigang

gattigang
09-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Come on peeps, anyone wanna tell me about this moonroof. :cool:

g@ttigang

rwturbo
09-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes its stock very early 960 series the only one that will bolt right in. Yellowbrick has one in his car. Wait till you see the paint job my brother laid on that vette wagon.

gattigang
09-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks man. I can't wait to see Jon's new shiney paint. Heard your bro is Da Man for laying some serious color. :cool:

g@ttigang

ShadowofBob
09-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Looks good. Great deal too, wish I'd found a place that had a wagon liner and moonroof for that little. The plastic trim/border is found on the earlier models, the later 1995+ 960/S90/V90 ones have a different glass pannel and track assembly. They also have vents in the shade so you can vent the roof and still get airflow with the shade closed. Hence why you didn't have to drill any holes. You might just not have noticed either. You can bolt the moonroof in without drilling, but there are 2 extra holes that aren't being used that the 960s etc had drilled(well on the later models there are anyways).

Yes its stock very early 960 series the only one that will bolt right in. Yellowbrick has one in his car. Wait till you see the paint job my brother laid on that vette wagon.

The later models are a straight bolt in too, it's just a good idea to get the extra 2 holes drilled to be on the safe side.

gattigang
09-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Hey ShadowofBob does the earlier ones have less glass area? What I mean is does it let in less light? I'm curious because I've never seen the newer type moons and would like to compare if there is a difference. Wondering why they put the plastic borders, seems like it was to compensate the alignment maybe? I still need to readjust because it sits a little below the roofline. :cool:

g@ttigang

ShadowofBob
09-17-2006, 01:28 AM
Yeah, mine sat a little low too until I adjusted it. Are you sure you're using the right hardwear that came with the moonroof? The 95+ ones need screws without the shanks on them that the sunroofs have. IT doesn't look like it needs them though.

I'm not sure why there is less glass area, I haven't seen very many of the pre 95 moonroofs. I'd guess the plastic was there becuase they didn't use enough tint or something and needed to keep the sunlight that was let in lower. Mine has glass all the way to the edge with a slight dot pattern towards the edges, but nowhere near and deep as your plastic border. It also is heavily tinted.

gattigang
09-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Interesting that you mentioned the shanks. I'm not sure what hardware comes with the moonroof, I thought the original harware would be fine since most people mentioned it was a drop in. The ones I'm using have shanks and quite possible that might be why I can't get it line up. I will ask my friend if he has the originally hardware and maybe it's the ones without the shanks. Hmmmm Thanks for the heads up, you got me thinking and I may just go back out and tinker with it a bit. :cool:

g@ttigang

77240dl
09-17-2006, 04:37 AM
gotti, i am sorry to inform you, that you have too many sweet cars... this is a direct violation
of code 12-5875 sector 3x.. which states that you MUST GIVE ME YOUR PAUL NEWMAN WAGON!!!! i will be over tonight to collect in full...

Aoder1
09-17-2006, 07:50 AM
gotti, i am sorry to inform you, that you have too many sweet cars... this is a direct violation
of code 12-5875 sector 3x.. which states that you MUST GIVE ME YOUR PAUL NEWMAN WAGON!!!! i will be over tonight to collect in full...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Plutonium
09-17-2006, 11:35 AM
My brother (threefattigers) and I installed moonroof and headliner last year from a 960. No mods, fit right in.

Chris_R
09-17-2006, 12:31 PM
My brother (threefattigers) and I installed moonroof and headliner last year from a 960. No mods, fit right in.

How on Earth are you in Snellville and I've never seen you or your car(s)?

Gatti - any reason you prefer the moonroof to the stock metal roof? Seems most prefer the glass, I'm just curious. How did they compare weight-wise?

Did you ever try putting the 850 tailgate piece on the 740?

romantt8
09-17-2006, 12:39 PM
G@tti, looks awesome. I have to do that swap sometime, but I need to track down the parts.... So I finally get to see part of your interior:-P Its very red.

Does this work? That would rock, as mine is held together with just the two screws....

gattigang
09-17-2006, 02:38 PM

:lol: :lol:

g@ttigang

gattigang
09-17-2006, 02:41 PM

It's pretty much a drop in but I'm having a hard time on the alignment ..... I've been on it since this morning and it's almost 3 now. I had to come in a take a break. Can someone give me any pointers on having this aligned correctly?

g@ttigang

gattigang
09-17-2006, 02:43 PM
G@tti, looks awesome. I have to do that swap sometime, but I need to track down the parts.... So I finally get to see part of your interior:-P Its very red.

Does this work? That would rock, as mine is held together with just the two screws....

I told you it was red, I'm still looking for some black door panels but I'm just going to keep the red seats unless some nice black seats pop up.

g@ttigang

gattigang
09-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Gatti - any reason you prefer the moonroof to the stock metal roof? Seems most prefer the glass, I'm just curious. How did they compare weight-wise?

No preference but when I bought the headliner the moonroof was thrown in the package. Weight-wise the glass is heavier and it's not too much of a difference but it does look much better when your inside the wagon. It makes it feel like I'm in my 855R.

g@ttigang

NYC_I_ROLL
09-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Any pointers as to where you got yours? Every place I've called in the nyc area wants no less than 500 (yeah not a typo) I wanted to get one for my mom's wagon as a small gift but @ 500 it's a tad too much.
Hell I'd be willing to get it near Va since I'm in the DC area for rehab.

Oh yeah it looks very super sweet!

cjjiii
09-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Looks great I did this about 2 years ago.
One final project that you can help me withis-
What trim did you use along the bacck window?
I 've tried using the original 740 but it will not stay up.
Thanks
CJ

GSWAGON
09-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Hey,

I have that same moonroof in my wagon...I got a black headliner though...and mike painted the plastic trim around the glass body color and it looks hot...I didnt like how it looked before being painted. I have not adjusted mine yet either and it sits low but dosent leak at all, I am now officially not looking forward to messing with it if it has been taking you all day, and I'm sure I would have to pull the headliner back down to adjust it.

I wil try to put up some pics of my car I have been doing/fixing a bunch of small things with it, swapping interior stuff as well...my paint turned out great though, I am very pleased with the work Mike (Ronnies brother) did. Are you coming to the meet in Suffolk on Sept 30? I will be there for sure.

Later,

Jon

gattigang
09-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Any pointers as to where you got yours? Every place I've called in the nyc area wants no less than 500 (yeah not a typo) I wanted to get one for my mom's wagon as a small gift but @ 500 it's a tad too much.
Hell I'd be willing to get it near Va since I'm in the DC area for rehab.

Oh yeah it looks very super sweet!

If you want I can keep an eye out from the yards. I can't say I get one for you @ $40 but the local PNP here usually looks out for me ..... $60 for the roof and usually $14-15 for the headliner. Let me know man. :cool:

g@ttigang

gattigang
09-18-2006, 04:26 AM
Looks great I did this about 2 years ago.
One final project that you can help me withis-
What trim did you use along the bacck window?
I 've tried using the original 740 but it will not stay up.
Thanks
CJ

I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still dickin around aligning this bastard. :lol: I'll post back when the headliner is finish. :cool:

g@ttigang

gattigang
09-18-2006, 04:35 AM
Hey Jon the roof itself has alignment holes ... 8 total and are hidden behind black plastic/rubber plugs. My problem might be worn hardware in the roof. I did the best I can and I did a leak test .... it failed miserably. I 'm going to head out to a glass shop and get some pointers and may go out to the Volvo dealer and snag up a gasket trim. I hope it works out, if not I have no other choice but to buy a few internal pieces. Where are you buying all your stuff from? Care to share your secret spots? :lol: BTW I will be at the Suffolk meet.

here's a few black interior pieces mixed with in with red pieces. I'm thinking of going 2 tone, red/ black interior.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0444-1.jpg

g@ttigang

GSWAGON
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
My spot used to be U wrench it when I lived in Virginia Beach...good thing I got most everything I needed then, long drive now and they dont have much most times I go...I am always checking ebay as well...

I think that red and black will look nice, I dont mind the red as long as it look fresh and not a faded burgundy look. I was considering doing red in my wagon because the Grand sport vettes had either red or black interiors, but I am going all black instead.

Can you access those alignment holes with the headliner installed already?

I will see you at the meet.. which car are you bringing?

Later,

Jon

gattigang
09-19-2006, 01:15 PM
*UPDATE* I finally figured out why it was leaking and I must admit it kicked my butt for a couple days. I went out to visit a glass shop and they immediately knew what was the problem. The plastic trim border's glue was old and did not hold down to the glass. I double check to make sure that was problem by using duct tape to secure the plastic trim to the glass, ran a hose to it for about 5 mins. (hard stream) and sure enough the problem is solved..... I just need to head out to the local parts store for some clear silicone. :cool: I'm so happy it wasn't anything major and now I can continue to wrap it up and install the headliner.

yellowbrick the alignments can be done with the headliner in place. Just look for the round rubber/plastic covers ...... 2 towards each of the front corners, 1 on each corner towrds the rear and 1 on each side between the front and rear. 8 total, you will need a T-25 bit. Glad your going to the meet I will see you there, I'm not sure which car but I might be getting a AMG ML-55 this week if it pans out. :cool: The Newman wagon will not be ready, it's going to go into the shop that week.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0540fixed.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0542fixed.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0544fixed.jpg

g@ttigang

MikeHardy
09-19-2006, 01:27 PM
why doe it look like a glass section in the middle of a normal sunroof

gattigang
09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
The earlier moonroof's used plastic trim around the glass, I'm sure the newer ones have more glass area but your question I'm not sure if I understand.

g@ttigang

MikeHardy
09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
ahh, i've only ever seen ether all metal ones or all glass ones here.

gattigang
09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
ahh, i've only ever seen ether all metal ones or all glass ones here.

I would of prefered the all glass ones ..... I think it looks better. :cool:

g@ttigang

GSWAGON
09-20-2006, 02:39 AM
nice to know...I wonder if that plastic trim could be pulled off all the way? I didnt want to break mine to find out, mine must have been glued well enough cause it dosent leak...thanks for the alignment tip I will monkey with it this weekend.

See ya at the meet!

Later,
Jon

240sleeper
09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
nice! i need to do that to my 960 here sometime. that "trim" around the glass does look a little weird though. id say paint the trim. would make it look allot better.

jason