PDA

View Full Version : 740 with aero kit IN THE UK!!!

faster4_tec
11-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Just been to sainsburies (supermarket) and this old woman pulled up in a MINTAGE 740GL with what appeared to be AERO kit on it (like chiggas, but red).

was totally sweet.
Hang on, I got a pic.

faster4_tec
11-14-2006, 06:02 PM
http://images.fotopic.net/yki13c.jpg

its missing the massive front airdam, and its wheels were like twin spokes (one behind the other) audi allroad style:-P

the picture doesn't do it justice to just HOW mint it was

BB-Q
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
So you DID put a note under the wipers, didn't you? :roll:

I've met a fair few people up here in retirementville with some very nice, owned from new Volvos, but most of them have also known their cars were worthless!

faster4_tec
11-14-2006, 06:22 PM
no I was in a bit of a hurry, by the time i'd realised why the car had SO much red all over it, the woman had dissapeared into the supermarket.:roll:

I was on my way to checking out a fiat punto JTD (diesel, which can easily be boosted by around 60% to make ridiculous amounts of sooty diesel mess whilst still maintaining 60mpg, but I could never find it, and the owner was being a twat on the phone so I left it, if he was that much of a twat imagine the condition of the car, so I left it:lol: ).
volvo was gone when I got back to the supermarket too.

I think it was C reg, so abou 1986-87, early

1stRaven
11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
mummy, i want that body kit!

faster4_tec
11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
tis got some kind of wild diffuser affar at the back:cool:

no, actually it just looks like its got 5 fog lamp holes cut into the back whilst in factory:cool:

front was alright, but needs that skirt around it to make it lllllooooowwww.

wheels were loverly!!! totally mint, and they are like a double spoke design, i.e for every spoke you see on the outside there was another spoke right behind it (maybe a 1" gap?).
where volvo rims too, had it stamped into them:)

CHESH740R
11-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Hmm don't know where my earlier reply went.

That cars been around for about 5-6 years now. Ussually turns up at VOC shows.

The bodykit isnt genuine volvo, i believe its an aftermarket of some sort.

SwedishBrick242...
11-14-2006, 09:59 PM
I want my neighbor's mint 780. Its some old lady that probably owned it from new...

CHESH740R
11-17-2006, 11:34 AM
There we go found a pic of it at the BKV

http://www.komfortwaggon.co.uk/volvosite/pictures/bkv2006/12.jpg

Thanks to griz for taking the pic.

MikeHardy
11-17-2006, 12:56 PM
rear looks like volvo aero apart from the black bumper.

foggyjames
11-17-2006, 02:55 PM
I was gonna say, that is a factory kit IIRC..and I think it's the one called "Airflow" which Dan (BoxDriver2) has on his 745. That has to be 'the' red one which keeps turning up at shows. It was at the BKV/VOC National show this year.

cheers

James

MikeHardy
11-17-2006, 03:11 PM
this is the volvo airflow kit, well that's what it was shown as in the 700/900 accessory guide i used to have.

http://k47.pbase.com/u34/ravennexus/upload/31293969.740airflow.jpg

BB-Q
11-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Just been told about a 940 with bodykit for 150. Guy who told me is going to try to get me in touch with the owner.

Remember the tidy 945 turbo in white I mentioned before (when one of the brits was looking for a car?) it sold for 50- same guy needed the space :grrr:

Same guy has been given a bollocking and told to bring them round to me in future! :-P

suterman
11-17-2006, 07:23 PM
James, when will you learn to forget the Fiats and dedicate your life to Volvo:-P

A little tale.

The Chap next door but one to me workes for the Fiat main dealer, one weekend he bought home a bright yellow punto sporting and started to do a little work. I went over for a chat and he was changing the head gasket, it was his friends car and he was doing him a favour. He told me that he was going to buy the car off his mate and told me that 'Fiats wern't as bad as they used to be' and 'The Punto was the best model they made'. The car was like 4 years old and had blown a head gasket!! if that was the best, what were the rest like!!?

Fordy-88
11-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Just been told about a 940 with bodykit for 150. Guy who told me is going to try to get me in touch with the owner.

Remember the tidy 945 turbo in white I mentioned before (when one of the brits was looking for a car?) it sold for 50- same guy needed the space :grrr:

Same guy has been given a bollocking and told to bring them round to me in future! :-P

yeah that was me and i meant to get back to you about that but i got cuaght up with the one i found locally and forgot:oops:

if you do get in touch with him can you find out if he has any 88,89 740 turbo saloons? i assume you are wanting the bodykit for yours but if not then let me know!

regards

fordy

faster4_tec
11-19-2006, 08:16 PM
ah well seems like the car IS known and isn't going to suddenly and mysterousy dissapear from our roads.
that rear black bit I think is a boot scratch protecting thing. Its like laid ontop of the the rear bumper.

And the fiat fire engine is like THE best small 4 pot engine there is (well non jap turbo small engine:rofl: ).

the factory gaskets are total wank (like some kind of nasty recycled cardboard), if you change it as soon as you get the car (any fiat fire from 1993-2002) then it will only cost you 26 forthe gasket kit (inc valve stem seals and head bolts), and 20 for a skim. If you ignore the entire forum (www.fiatforum.com) then you will end up needing a new head/engine and won't be very happy!!! their tough look.
FIat dealers are usually total tossers.

For my next big car I am contenplaint a fiat marea 130jtd weekend. THey have the UBER rare 2.4 5cylinder 10v jtd engine shared with alfa's. go like stink in std form and return upto 50mpg, tune them to 185bhp from a visit from angel tune (325), and it'll hit 60 in around 8seconds. still return 50mpg under same conditions.
But they sound fab with that 5pot too.
Handle nicely, esp for a fwd, the turn in on the 5pots (both petrol NA and JTD's as they have better suspension than lower models, and TEH worst steering lock on the planet:roll: ) the turn in on fast corners and slippy greasy stuff is unreal for a FWD.:twisted:
You also get AC or climate control, heated/electric seats, factory cd changer etc. and they go for no money whatso ever as people don't know what the 2.4jtd's are worth:cool:

Dauntless
11-19-2006, 08:23 PM

*cries*

Those things go for at least $8000 here, and they're bloody rare.