PDA

View Full Version : 3" exhaust and visual/luxury additions

ShadowofBob
12-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Over the past few months I've added the following to my car.

wheelcaps, ambient temp gauge, S/V/90/960 autodown relay, V90 Tail lights, and a 3" exhaust :)

Volvo Wheelcaps, add that nice OEM look to the Eikers.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/wheelcap.jpg

I decided I should get an ambient temp gauge since I'll be driving more in the mountains and thought it would be nice to know exactly how cold it was and if it was near freezing point ever. It was a bit harder to add this than it would be on 93+ 900 series cars since I didn't have the harness in my car already. It is easy to add though and just requires you to run 2 wires to the bumper for the sender and to connect a few wires for power and illumination in the dash.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/tempgauge.jpg

The autodown relay was kind of an impulse buy. I didn't even know Volvo had them until I saw it on a 960 I was getting taillights from Got it for very cheap along with lighted window switches for all the doors. Very easy to add although I'm not sure exactly certain on how it functions yet. It either goes all the way down, or to 3 preset heights one at a time until it's all the way down.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/autodown.jpg

The V90/960 tails I found on craigslist for $30. :) There's a small crack in one but I didn't care and for the price I couldn't pass the deal up. Almost completed the rear of the car now, just need tint and a wagon wing.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/v90tail.jpg

The biggest addition I've done recently is a full 3" exhaust system. I got it used from Devin(Dfer10) when he parted his 940. It's got 2 O2 bungs, flex pipe, and a Magnaflow muffler. I've added a cat to it so it can pass smog. Ken(qwkswede) helped by welding it all up for me.

What's that big downpipe doing back there... That 2-3" restriction shall soon be gone, not with the ATP adapter though.:badboy:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/exhaust1.jpg

3" Magnaflow/Carsound cat, V-band for the downpipe, and a flex pipe
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/exhaust2.jpg

Ken tack welding the exhaust in place before dropping it and welding the whole thing.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/exhaust3.jpg

The modified stock hanger setup on the rear muffler.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/exhaust5.jpg

The finished look off the back of the car
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/fall06/exhaust4.jpg

After driving it around I was stunned at how quiet it was(This is after driving around with just a downpipe and cat for a month and the a 3" one until last weekend). It spools much faster, feels torquier, and has a bit more top end. Can't wait to see how it will feel with chips.
Again a big thanks to Ken for taking time out of his weekends, loaning me his tools and garage space, and doing the welds.:rockon:

thelostartof
12-06-2006, 12:49 AM
exhaust looks a bit low ... was that to make it hang under the bumper? y not just use a turn down and hide it?

rallyvovo
12-06-2006, 01:12 AM
i think that pics from when it was mid welded so its not tucked up to where it is. Big thanks to Ken (qwkswede) for the weld help and worldly advice on rebuilds and 16v isssh.

ShadowofBob
12-06-2006, 01:14 AM
exhaust looks a bit low ... was that to make it hang under the bumper? y not just use a turn down and hide it?

It wasn't to clear the bumper, but rather that the U over the axle was hitting the car if we pushed it up much further. We were just trying to make what we had(a 3" exhaust system in 3 pieces) work since I couldn't just leave my car at Kens. If I had the time and knew how to weld I'd like to clean it up back there, but it's fine for now. The exhaust being low back there isn't that big of an issue since other parts of the car are just as low. Was more concerned with the height between the wheels.

qwkswede
12-06-2006, 02:00 AM
It didn't really seem that low in person. Those pictures look like we left miles of space. Once you get that white rabbit lowered a little you might find the tops of speedbumps a bit challenging. Maybe not though.

Not too bad. though. We had that stretch of pipe in front of the rear axle pushed within an inch of the floor in a couple spaces, and the U curve was almost touching the back seat area over the axle. It wasn't really going to get any closer than that without re-doing the whole thing.

It was fun having people around to BS with while wrenching and burning stuff. We'll have to do a drive sometime soon. My wife jokes that you won't be picking up any chicks at CU in a Station Wagon though. I'm trying to convince her that Wagon's are very USEFUL... ;-)

rallyvovo
12-06-2006, 02:24 AM
yea ken, get out here and we'll run some canyons if theres no snow or gravel from gravel trucks everywhere. i got some friends with some fun cars...

remember if you want any odds n ends from the machine shop hollar at me. im going in to do some work for myself this coming couple weeks cause schools tapering off....that damn fit ring for pilot bearing, getrag shift linkage, maybe you want one if mine works out?

Hank Scorpio
12-06-2006, 02:24 AM
looking great man :-D

940 16 valve
12-06-2006, 02:26 AM
So what exactly did it involve to add the auto down function. Did you have to wire in anything extra, or just switch over the window console

qwkswede
12-06-2006, 02:29 AM
looking great man :-D

Yeah, it really is a great looking wagon. Super clean and tidy in white. Robert takes good care of it.

rallyvovo
12-06-2006, 02:34 AM
thats why at night, i go to the garage and put dirt on it

ShadowofBob
12-06-2006, 02:42 AM
It was fun having people around to BS with while wrenching and burning stuff. We'll have to do a drive sometime soon. My wife jokes that you won't be picking up any chicks at CU in a Station Wagon though. I'm trying to convince her that Wagon's are very USEFUL... ;-)
I have yet to pick up chicks due to the wagon but the later statement is very true.:badboy:

So what exactly did it involve to add the auto down function. Did you have to wire in anything extra, or just switch over the window console

It was simply adding a relay. The switches I took from the car too since they were backlit, they don't have anything to do with the autodown. All that was need was splicing 2 wires into the power and ground, and then cutting and existing wire and connecting the 2 ends to the relay. Here's the thread with wiring diagrams.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=83552

Thanks for the compliments, wish it was cleaner in these pictures.

thats why at night, i go to the garage and put dirt on it
That's why you have scratches all over your car.:-P

rallyvovo
12-06-2006, 02:57 AM
i bet you stole my engine too!!

Homer
12-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Must do to my 240! (Auto down)

suterman
12-06-2006, 03:30 AM
looks great!

I like the no mask welding,

Hold torch,

close eyes

pull trigger

open eyes

shaved240
12-06-2006, 05:38 AM
nice. You should probably be replacing that aw70 soon too, unless you baby your car and don't drive it fast ;)

ShadowofBob
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
nice. You should probably be replacing that aw70 soon too, unless you baby your car and don't drive it fast ;)

Haha, I probably have been a little easy on it, although it's shifts between 1st and 2nd have been getting worse and worse. Chips and other additions coming this month certainly aren't going to help things either.;-) I'm not too worried now since I have a AW71 sitting in my garage waiting for the 70 to fail.:-P

klr142
12-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Sweet, sweeeeeeeeeet ride. Chip and up the boost and it'll be one of the quickest cars on the board, too.

Love it! I do also wish it was cleaner in those pictures though... :)

Aoder1
12-07-2006, 07:50 AM
me gusta mucho, very well looking/maintained car

klr142
12-07-2006, 12:29 PM
So how does the 745SE thing work? Is it not actually an SE? Or did you just swap in a +T'd motor?

rallyvovo
12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
it was NA, and not SE then he +Ted it and added the SE stuff and v90 stuff

klr142
12-08-2006, 03:02 AM
Gotcha! That clears that up, awesome! Means even more hard work has gone into the car. Beautiful!

GSWAGON
12-08-2006, 04:27 AM
looking good man!

now if you could just source some se side skirts...

I am liking the window switch conversion, I may have to do that as well for the lighting and the auto function.

My previous turbo car I ran for a while open downpipe before I added a 3" with high flow cat magnaflow etc and it was so damn quiet after that...I missed hearing the turbo spool.

nice stuff now lets see some pictures of it cleaned up!

ShadowofBob
12-08-2006, 04:37 AM
Thanks!

Hearing the turbo spool for a week was nice. It reminded me off when I first finished the +T and ran only and open downpipe with no cat until i could weld and extension on. I don't miss the car being vibrated to bits though.:-P

Almost lost her today. Barely avoided a family of deer driving back to Cali on I-80 at night. Luckily I saw them in time and was able to hit the brakes and move over into the other lane to avoid them. Sure did scare the crap out of me though.

I did have a casualty today though. :grrr: Scraped the exhaust tip and bent it a little bit entering a gas station with a weirdly sloped drive. Maybe it is a tad bit low and/or sticks out too much....

Tabor
12-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Almost lost her today. Barely avoided a family of deer driving back to Cali on I-80 at night. Luckily I saw them in time and was able to hit the brakes and move over into the other lane to avoid them. Sure did scare the crap out of me though.

I did have a casualty today though. :grrr: Scraped the exhaust tip and bent it a little bit entering a gas station with a weirdly sloped drive. Maybe it is a tad bit low and/or sticks out too much....

Think of it this way, you could have avoided the driveway and hit the deer!

740TurboPerformance
12-08-2006, 04:09 PM
ride looks good man, nice work!

Nice work on the exhaust and good choices for the muffler and cat!

After putting about 10-15K on your muffler, it will probably, natrually get a bit louder and sound throatier. This is what my exhaust guy told me after mine was installed and pretty quiet. I thought it was BS but he was right.

your engine compartment looks clean like you take care of your volvo unlike a lot of people, good man . . . .

ShadowofBob
12-08-2006, 08:43 PM
ride looks good man, nice work!

Nice work on the exhaust and good choices for the muffler and cat!

After putting about 10-15K on your muffler, it will probably, natrually get a bit louder and sound throatier. This is what my exhaust guy told me after mine was installed and pretty quiet. I thought it was BS but he was right.

your engine compartment looks clean like you take care of your volvo unlike a lot of people, good man . . . .

Thats good to know. I thought it sound a little bit too quiet.
Heh, it wasn't always that clean. It got there slowly once I got the car and took apart different areas of the engine bay.

Here a few shots of the car after being rinsed off at home.

The new rear. Debaged, new tails, and exhaust.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/clean1.jpg

Painted the front grill black.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/shadowofbob/images2/clean2.jpg

klr142
12-08-2006, 11:39 PM
What a freaking beaut...

Seriously man. That thing is super beautiful.

Is it lowered at all? What size tires?

Regarding the grill, I didn't know that it was all chrome earlier, but man can I imagine it not looking ANYWHERE near as nice as it does now.

And, my opinion: if there isn't any other chrome on the car(I can't see any), I'd paint the surround part of the grill to match the rest of the car. But then the sash would still be chrome. Hmm, I wonder how it'd look...

Just looked at the pictures again... Sooo beautiful, sooo clean... One of the top 700 wagons on the site for sure!

rallyvovo
12-09-2006, 05:02 AM
acrtaully robert has installed a skyjacker lift kit to achieve the wheel gap he currently has.

just kidding robert!!! glad you got home without any serious issues. lower that son' bitch or bring some suspension back and we'll pull it out in likt 2 hours cause im a friggin pro sense EST made me do it 4 times in 1 week. keep me updated on the 960 situation...later

edit// PS hows you sister? hahaha