• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3" exhaust and visual/luxury additions

ShadowofBob

Revived...
Over the past few months I've added the following to my car.

wheelcaps, ambient temp gauge, S/V/90/960 autodown relay, V90 Tail lights, and a 3" exhaust :)

Volvo Wheelcaps, add that nice OEM look to the Eikers.
wheelcap.jpg

I decided I should get an ambient temp gauge since I'll be driving more in the mountains and thought it would be nice to know exactly how cold it was and if it was near freezing point ever. It was a bit harder to add this than it would be on 93+ 900 series cars since I didn't have the harness in my car already. It is easy to add though and just requires you to run 2 wires to the bumper for the sender and to connect a few wires for power and illumination in the dash.
tempgauge.jpg

The autodown relay was kind of an impulse buy. I didn't even know Volvo had them until I saw it on a 960 I was getting taillights from Got it for very cheap along with lighted window switches for all the doors. Very easy to add although I'm not sure exactly certain on how it functions yet. It either goes all the way down, or to 3 preset heights one at a time until it's all the way down.
autodown.jpg

The V90/960 tails I found on craigslist for $30. :) There's a small crack in one but I didn't care and for the price I couldn't pass the deal up. Almost completed the rear of the car now, just need tint and a wagon wing.
v90tail.jpg

The biggest addition I've done recently is a full 3" exhaust system. I got it used from Devin(Dfer10) when he parted his 940. It's got 2 O2 bungs, flex pipe, and a Magnaflow muffler. I've added a cat to it so it can pass smog. Ken(qwkswede) helped by welding it all up for me.

What's that big downpipe doing back there... That 2-3" restriction shall soon be gone, not with the ATP adapter though.:badboy:
exhaust1.jpg

3" Magnaflow/Carsound cat, V-band for the downpipe, and a flex pipe
exhaust2.jpg

Ken tack welding the exhaust in place before dropping it and welding the whole thing.
exhaust3.jpg

The modified stock hanger setup on the rear muffler.
exhaust5.jpg

The finished look off the back of the car
exhaust4.jpg

After driving it around I was stunned at how quiet it was(This is after driving around with just a downpipe and cat for a month and the a 3" one until last weekend). It spools much faster, feels torquier, and has a bit more top end. Can't wait to see how it will feel with chips.
Again a big thanks to Ken for taking time out of his weekends, loaning me his tools and garage space, and doing the welds.:rockon:

Last edited:
i think that pics from when it was mid welded so its not tucked up to where it is. Big thanks to Ken (qwkswede) for the weld help and worldly advice on rebuilds and 16v isssh.

exhaust looks a bit low ... was that to make it hang under the bumper? y not just use a turn down and hide it?

It wasn't to clear the bumper, but rather that the U over the axle was hitting the car if we pushed it up much further. We were just trying to make what we had(a 3" exhaust system in 3 pieces) work since I couldn't just leave my car at Kens. If I had the time and knew how to weld I'd like to clean it up back there, but it's fine for now. The exhaust being low back there isn't that big of an issue since other parts of the car are just as low. Was more concerned with the height between the wheels.

Last edited:
It didn't really seem that low in person. Those pictures look like we left miles of space. Once you get that white rabbit lowered a little you might find the tops of speedbumps a bit challenging. Maybe not though.

Not too bad. though. We had that stretch of pipe in front of the rear axle pushed within an inch of the floor in a couple spaces, and the U curve was almost touching the back seat area over the axle. It wasn't really going to get any closer than that without re-doing the whole thing.

It was fun having people around to BS with while wrenching and burning stuff. We'll have to do a drive sometime soon. My wife jokes that you won't be picking up any chicks at CU in a Station Wagon though. I'm trying to convince her that Wagon's are very USEFUL... ;-)

yea ken, get out here and we'll run some canyons if theres no snow or gravel from gravel trucks everywhere. i got some friends with some fun cars...

remember if you want any odds n ends from the machine shop hollar at me. im going in to do some work for myself this coming couple weeks cause schools tapering off....that damn fit ring for pilot bearing, getrag shift linkage, maybe you want one if mine works out?

It was fun having people around to BS with while wrenching and burning stuff. We'll have to do a drive sometime soon. My wife jokes that you won't be picking up any chicks at CU in a Station Wagon though. I'm trying to convince her that Wagon's are very USEFUL... ;-)
I have yet to pick up chicks due to the wagon but the later statement is very true.:badboy:

So what exactly did it involve to add the auto down function. Did you have to wire in anything extra, or just switch over the window console

It was simply adding a relay. The switches I took from the car too since they were backlit, they don't have anything to do with the autodown. All that was need was splicing 2 wires into the power and ground, and then cutting and existing wire and connecting the 2 ends to the relay. Here's the thread with wiring diagrams.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=83552

Thanks for the compliments, wish it was cleaner in these pictures.

thats why at night, i go to the garage and put dirt on it
That's why you have scratches all over your car.:-P

looks great!

I like the no mask welding,

Hold torch,

close eyes

pull trigger

open eyes

nice. You should probably be replacing that aw70 soon too, unless you baby your car and don't drive it fast ;)

Haha, I probably have been a little easy on it, although it's shifts between 1st and 2nd have been getting worse and worse. Chips and other additions coming this month certainly aren't going to help things either.;-) I'm not too worried now since I have a AW71 sitting in my garage waiting for the 70 to fail.:-P

Sweet, sweeeeeeeeeet ride. Chip and up the boost and it'll be one of the quickest cars on the board, too.

Love it! I do also wish it was cleaner in those pictures though... :)

So how does the 745SE thing work? Is it not actually an SE? Or did you just swap in a +T'd motor?

Back