View Full Version : My vovlo

MikeHardy
12-21-2002, 07:48 AM
here ya go

http://www.pbase.com/ravennexus/my_volvo

one from the UK

lilswizzel
12-21-2002, 04:45 PM
you dont need the extra http on there, if its not coming up for some people that is why.

swede242
12-21-2002, 05:06 PM
What color is your car? BTW....I'm sure this goes both ways, but to have to shift with my left hand would kill me -heehee.

own6volvos
12-21-2002, 05:14 PM
damn.. thinking about it.. that would be Fuc*ed up! I wonder how many crashes are related to US drivers in the left hand shifting area not knowing how to shift properly...

Hank Scorpio
12-21-2002, 05:16 PM
damn.. thinking about it.. that would be Fuc*ed up! I wonder how many crashes are related to US drivers in the left hand shifting area not knowing how to shift properly...

How many rhd us cars do you see?

MikeHardy
12-21-2002, 05:18 PM
thanks lilwizzel i'd left out the //.

not sure of the offical name for the colour but it's a metalic green that shine purple under torchlight.

when i was kid i used sit besidemy dad and change gear so it always feels more natural with my right hand as well.so i guess i need a left hooker

mike

MikeHardy
12-21-2002, 05:19 PM
there getting more common in the larger city's

Hank Scorpio
12-21-2002, 05:38 PM
I actually remeber the first time I saw a RHD car here in the states, it was actually a 850 or a v70. I was pretty young, asleep in our mini-van ( :barf: ) and I woke up and this car was driving by me, but the "driver" was asleep up against the window! I just about shiat myself, took me a couple seconds to realize that is RHD.

Wish I had a picture of my face, it would have been classic.

doug

boostdemon
12-21-2002, 09:22 PM
a lot of the rolls royces and a few bentleys are RHD.

(gear positions and pedal locations are the same iirc, just that you'd use your left hand to shift)

SeriousSteve
12-22-2002, 11:27 AM
Nice plate!, that's the only turbo 740 I know of in this country

Regarding right/left hand drive, steering with your right hand makes much more sense to me, the only LHD vehicle near me is a really cool yellow camaro, whenever I see it I wonder why there is no driver and then realise :D

KBFinFan
12-22-2002, 12:11 PM
I have driven in a couple RHD Bentleys and Rolls Royces. Raven, that's a really nice wagon. I just want euro lighting even more now that I have seen yours.

FlatWagon83
01-04-2003, 02:56 PM
We get a ton of minis in at the shop I work at, actually quite fun to drive that way, and you get used to it quick. The fun thing is, the shift pattern is the same as would be on a US car, so you are throwing the opposite way, which makes things interesting to say the least. I don't think all of them are like that, maybe not that many, not really sure. We get in plenty of Rolls and Bentleys as well, but I haven't seen one of those in RHD.

linuxman51
01-19-2003, 02:54 AM
Hey dude, some one pulled a fast one on ya and put all the instruments and the wheel on the passenger's side of the car...

;)

Volvo78GT
01-19-2003, 04:27 AM
I heard from a person who heard it from his mom that she heard on the radio... lol

that UK is considering changing to the "right" side of the road...

lol... is this true? any opinions you brits?

SeriousSteve
01-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Yeah right like our government would spend money on that, they have much more important stuff to spend millions on, stuff like the millenium dome :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DaRiceRipper
01-19-2003, 10:39 AM
No matter how many times i see a RHD, its still cool. Nice car man.

Hank Scorpio
01-19-2003, 12:39 PM
I once heard through my grandma's lost long brothers best friends third wife's alien love childs best friend in first grades semi-retarded friend that the earth is round!

Go figure?! :pow:

Doug

Hank Scorpio
01-19-2003, 12:54 PM

Probably none. :slap: I'm sure the average idiot is not importing RHD cars.

Doug

700mopareater
01-19-2003, 01:13 PM
[quote:40efd95c80]Probably none. I'm sure the average idiot is not importing RHD cars. [/quote:40efd95c80]

I think he meant American tourists driving RHD in England :wiggle:

Hank Scorpio
01-19-2003, 01:15 PM
I would imagine, most rental cars are auto's for us wacky americans

Anyways, who cares? lol

Doug

Chigga 744SE
01-20-2003, 09:21 PM
THATS MY BODYKIT ON THE BROUCHER!!!!!!!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

ThinkDifferent
01-21-2003, 10:00 PM
I'm from England and learned to drive in a RHD manual Peugot 306 diesel.

Then I drove my dad's Volvo 940 estate auto for 4 years.

Then I went to France for a year and bought a manual LHD BMW 318i old old shape. Had no problems with this, fantastic car, handles superbly.

My insurance company amazingly lost that car (UK guys - AVOID PRIVILEGE/DIRECT LINE and definitely GREEN FLAG), while they were working this out and paying me loads of money, I had a loan Citroen C5, LHD auto. That car is like fly-by-wire, it's really spooky to drive, like a four-wheeled spaceship.

Then I bought my dad's 940, while he got a nice new v70 the faster normally aspirated one. The stereo in that is amazing btw.

Oh, and I have test-driven several Bentley Turbo's, with steering column controlled auto gearboxed. I will buy one in a year or so.

So in both France and UK I have driven one of each kind of transmission.
Of all of them I like: Auto RHD OR manual LHD - it really is nicer to change gear with your right hand (unless you're left-handed).

As for changing sides of the road? Why are you Yanks still using our kack old imperial measurements system anyway??

Kjets On a Plane
01-21-2003, 11:09 PM
[quote:8abd1cc334]Why are you Yanks still using our kack old imperial measurements system anyway??[/quote:8abd1cc334]
IT's not kack it's the Highly Superior English System dammit! Why not a foot is a much more practical measurement than the decimeter or meter. The Hand is more practical than the bloody decimeter even! Oh and BTW the measure system may be better, but the size of teh measurments isn't. Why don't you tell time in base 10 if you are so eager to have everything be in base ten! :P .

ThinkDifferent
01-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Well I have size 13 feet and they aren't a foot long. So it must be kack. Yeah, base 10 time. Why not? Swatch internet time? At least we could get rid of daylight saving time, maybe go for a 30-day month mike they did after the French Revolution.

ThinkDifferent
01-21-2003, 11:18 PM
...Oh and need I nention that NASA lost a billion-dollar Mars satellite because some bloke used a desk calculator to convert the metric measurements sent to him by University of Leicester, my uni, into imperial, rounded it to too few decimal places (it's a long way away, mars) and they based some of the spec on his calculations. D'oh!