• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Buzz's new pimptastic stereo (56k == back seat B***H)

Lord Tentacle

Anime Lord
Got together with Buzz today at his place and hooked up his 95 940 with a new stereo

Slick new Kenwood stero, CD text & everything
briansnewstereo020.jpg

briansnewstereo019.jpg

connnected to a nice, antishock 6 disc cd changer
briansnewstereo022.jpg

briansnewstereo024.jpg

we then updated the system with a switch for the antenna
briansnewstereo021.jpg

The headunit powers the 8 speakers in the car
the dash speakers have remained stock
but we first upgraded the front door speakers with some nice 3 way Eclipse 6.75's
briansnewstereo033.jpg

briansnewstereo034.jpg

We then upgraded/added speakers for the rear doors, some dam nice Cerwin Vega 5.25" 2 way coaxials I found in the JY in a 91 740
briansnewstereo012.jpg

briansnewstereo010.jpg

briansnewstereo014.jpg

After that we had fun removing the rear seats so we could do the rear deck speaker super stelth style, with some super bitching kenwood 6x9 3 way's
briansnewstereo029.jpg

briansnewstereo026.jpg

briansnewstereo028.jpg

briansnewstereo032.jpg

Final product
briansnewstereo035.jpg

Then we added in a nice 4 guage amp kit
briansnewstereo015.jpg

briansnewstereo018.jpg

that gives juice to a MTX 200W x1 amp in the trunk
briansnewstereo030.jpg

this is connected to a MTX 5000 series 10" sub in a nice small sealed box

the system is probobly the best I have ever put into a car that ended up with a totaly stock appearence (sans headunit)
Buzz will chime in, but the sound is just awsome

Nice work. Looks like the exact same job as I had to do on the 960 with the rear speakers. That was a bitch, and the worst part is putting them back together... Especially when I just took it all back out a year later to sell the car :-P

Where is the pre amp? I have the interior all apart on my 960 tryin to bypass it. Any tips?

Last edited:
Where is the pre amp? I have the interior all apart on my 960 tryin to bypass it. Any tips?

Under the steering wheel? Gots to pull off the 2 bottom panels and then the metal panel.

walmart amp install kit? Thoes are my favorite. I have an old mtx kind of like yours, it rocks pretty darn good.

Got that amp many, many years ago from Circuit City. But yes, Wally World FTW!

Under the steering wheel? Gots to pull off the 2 bottom panels and then the metal panel.
I have all that off, whats it look like? there is a loooooot of crap down there. I think I can trace the wires to a white box lookin thing but I dont think that is right. you dont have a pic do you?

I have all that off, whats it look like? there is a loooooot of crap down there. I think I can trace the wires to a white box lookin thing but I dont think that is right. you dont have a pic do you?

not all 960's have an amp
Pull the deck, if it only has an antenna wire and 2 big rectangular connectors going into it, it does NOT have an external amp under the kickpanel

if its got a din cable pluged into the round "amp" connector on the back of the radio, then it does have one

it would be black and look kinda sorta like this
sandblaster008.jpg

sandblaster009.jpg

THANKS! I had a round cable but i *believe* its for the CD changer?

*Edit* Im a lazy moron, I could have had this thing installed in 15 minutes months ago.

awesome install

how does the deck feel about pushing 8 speakers instead of 4?

In my 1 hour of high beam pimpin' audio induced stupor drive last night it seemed to be just fine with 8 speakers. I did find the limits of the amp though. Damn you, Reel Big Fish. Nothing a 30amp fuse couldn't fix. :-D

Back