PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2004 - Volvo Track Day East

thedocdm
11-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Ok, I'm just in the early planning stages, but I'd love to have a Volvo Track Day next summer. I just joined VCOA, haven't even gotten my membership yet, but as soon as I do, I'll bring it up with them. Who's interested? I'm talking a full blown Volvo meet, BB, Tbricks, VCOA, everybody, for at least a Saturday, maybe the weekend. I'd like to see some Vallakra style turnouts here! Who's with me?? Just reply in this thread, and all the planning details will be posted here as I(we) work 'em out.

Edit: I'm preliminarily looking at Pocono Raceway, but I'll check out other tracks as well.

mikep
11-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Excellent idea.

11-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Sounds good, I ordered our MS this week. Jeremy and I could make that a goal date to have the project rolling!

towerymt
11-04-2003, 10:44 PM
I would suggest you check out the events forum at swedespeed.com. There's a guy named Greg who was starting up a Washington DC chapter of VCOA, and one of the things we talked about briefly was a track day at Summit Point. I'm sure most people would just want a track day to happen, and the location is a secondary concern. However it would be good to find out where the interested people are, and which track(s) are available for how much money. Another thing that's very important are the topics about VCOA events which have included comments from Lee Cordner about what it takes to put together a large scale event. It's a lot of work.

boostdemon
11-04-2003, 11:50 PM
i would love a volvo track day event. I will donate what little time i can to helping if need be. A few things to think about... do you know what it costs per person even if 50 cars preregister? do you know how far in advance you'll need to schedule? As i said to Greg a few months ago, your best bet is to find another larger club (pca, mbclub, bmwclub, etc) that is doing an event and wouldnt mind a joint gathering with a few volvos. just something to think about.

Let me know what i can do to help.

thedocdm
11-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Alright guys, I have my first piece of information. To do the track weekend at Pocono, I figure it will be around $10k for the weekend, that's track rental and some to spare. Which means, we would need at least 200 cars/people to make it reasonable (Which would be a hell of a show, definitely Vallakra style.) I think it's doable, but that means we need to get it planned and advertised asap. Now... What other tracks should I look at? I'll check into your suggestions, and also start hitting other forums to find people with experience.

jjam184
11-07-2003, 04:11 PM
How about somthing a little further south? VA, NC

hayzcustoms
11-07-2003, 04:24 PM
how about a little further north? nh for example has an abundance of tracks...lee, epping, nhis

just some thoughts

keep me posted and i will definately attend....i think maybe conjioning it with a show might help offset the cost for those who do not want to race and also therefore increase attendance. also local hotels/motel quantity would be a big concern for those of us who would be driving a distance.

nick

thedocdm
11-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I was thinking further South would help attendance. Sorry for the New England guys. :oops: And yeah, maybe I should clarify that this will be a full show, with the track available. Umm, events to be determined later (input). Auto-X might be a possibility. As far as the track, I was thinking of just having an open track, to give you a chance to take your Volvo out and open it up, in a safe (relatively) place. No road racing, we're not equipped for that, unless someone wants to hire some SCCA people to help out. Anyway, it's all up in the air, so tell me what you want that would make you attend.

towerymt
11-07-2003, 06:39 PM
The west coast track days usually run about $150 per person. I don't remember how many they get at that price, however. I think it's 30-50. Do you know how much it would cost for one day?

I would suggest one day at the track, and if you want to try to organize a show, do it somewhere else to save money.

Ajax5678
11-07-2003, 07:08 PM
You stole my idea :rant: :-P

mAydAy
11-07-2003, 07:11 PM
I'm in the preliminary planning stages of something along these lines in VA for this spring. Details are coming, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve, including some ways to cover the costs.

stylngle2003
11-07-2003, 07:14 PM
im down for a track day this spring...as long as its after finals week...like sometime after the last week in april. i think it would be really cool to meet all of the bricksters and just fly around the track!
keep us posted on the details....

Billy

p.s. anywhere within say 5-6 hrs of DC is cool with me

thedocdm
11-07-2003, 08:59 PM
The west coast track days usually run about $150 per person. I don't remember how many they get at that price, however. I think it's 30-50. Do you know how much it would cost for one day?

I would suggest one day at the track, and if you want to try to organize a show, do it somewhere else to save money.

I'll look into other tracks yet, but Pocono will only rent the track for Saturday and Sunday, or one day during the week. I'll have to check if Friday is a weekend or weekday. I don't think we'd have enough turnout on a weekday to justify the rental cost difference. I'd like to keep the cost down to around $50/person/car if possible.

towerymt
11-07-2003, 10:09 PM
I'd like to keep the cost down to around $50/person/car if possible.

That might result in way too many people for a track day, or not enough people to make the total amount required.

For example, at Summit Point raceway in WV, they have Friday at the Track (FATT) which gives (4) 20min. sessions on track for $175. I'm sure there's a limit to how many people will be able to be on course at one time, and the number that they can manage at the track. Get in contact with Lee Corder and ask about the west coast track days. He's been doing them for a few years from what I understand.

It will probably be something like $5000 and 30-40 drivers at $125-150.

Cavemanracing
11-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Summit also has a shorter circuit (Jefferson track?) independent of the long track. Might be another option for a smaller group.
Don't forget Virginia International. If you haven't been there, it is a first class operation and a really, really fun track. A bit wider than Summit, if I remember right. (Summit's chute from T-4 to T-5 would be skiiiinnny with two bricks going through it)

Anybody know if CarGuys would do a "club class"?[/i]

Ajax5678
11-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Are these tracks oval or curves?? And even though I'm in canada I want to go and maybe I can get a couple others to come too.

stylngle2003
11-09-2003, 03:40 PM
they are road courses, with plenty of challenging turns and nice straightaways

Billy

thedocdm
12-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Alright, I'm gonna let this drop. I'll be in Iraq for the next 18 months or so, so someone else can make this happen if they want to.

hockey930
12-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Anywhere in within a few hours of NJ I am in.
Eamonn

Three Fat Tigers
12-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Iraq http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/eek.gif stay safe over there!

If an event takes place in VA, and you need more participants, I'm certain I can get some Miata folks interested too. I dont know the costs down at VIR (http://www.virclub.com/) but it is a great track.

stylngle2003
12-10-2003, 02:09 AM
im still down for anywhere in VA, MD, NJ, PA, WV,DE
just keep us informed...i may be able to get a few BMW guys to come if we need people

Billy

towerymt
12-10-2003, 02:45 AM
www.summitpoint-raceway.com

"The 2004 event schedule will be posted in mid-January."

Maybe some of us can sign up for a Friday At The Track. I will definitely be doing one this year, hopefully March or April, but I may wait 'til summer so I can roll my car and not worry about needing a car to drive. :rofl:

stylngle2003
12-10-2003, 06:55 AM
hey mike...i was actually thinking of going for one of the may FATTs...maybe we could get like a group together and just have an informal FATT-TB meet??

usually they are the first and thrid fridays of the month...at least thats what it was last may.

as soon as that schedule goes up, we should decide which day works best for us and sign up, cuz i think it will fill up quickly this year (with the new track and all)

Billy

boostdemon
12-10-2003, 08:13 AM
yeah i'd be down for another FATT, im sure my brother would be too

towerymt
12-10-2003, 09:37 PM
hey mike...i was actually thinking of going for one of the may FATTs...maybe we could get like a group together and just have an informal FATT-TB meet??

I probably won't be able to do one in May unless it's May 14. I'll have finals around the 1st/2nd week, then there's an autocross, then the Carlisle import show, then a ProSolo to wrap up the month. I can't wait!

stylngle2003
12-10-2003, 09:43 PM
im pretty flexible for may/june....my finals week is april 19-23, so ill be down for whenever, as long as we can get some bricks out to the track that would be great!!

Billy

mikep
12-11-2003, 09:52 PM
I have several friends who want to do a track day but have no ride, so I am thinking of building a spec 240 for them to rent.
Keep me posted on the date, etc.

ICE RCKT
12-12-2003, 01:46 AM
I'm more than interested... the more northern the locale the better... there are a few of us Canadians that will want to participate. I could probably drag along an Aero or two :e-shrug:

Cheers,