• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

installed camshaft wrong?

DaBossk

Banned
Hey guys... I'm trying to install my IPD performance turbo cam on my 1991 volvo 780 turbo I got in the mail a while back...

So I just took the old one out and installed the new one but when I went to turn over the camshaft with my wrench it locks up after the 3rd rotation! what gives?

It feels like the valves are hitting the pistons but these engines are non interference unless the head is shaved Ive heard??

Any ideas? please help!!!! :wave:

update***

if I turn the crank to a different position the cam spins like it should! wth....

I'm thinking my engine is now interference from someone shaving the head.

should I throw the t-belt on and start the engine?

Evidently it's an interference motor. Are you trying to spin the cam independently of thr rest of the system?

Also, time it so the intake lobe opens #1 intake valve 1mm at tdc (with the #1 lobes pointing down obv.). Don't trust your cam timing mark.

Evidently it's an interference motor. Are you trying to spin the cam independently of thr rest of the system?

Also, time it so the intake lobe opens #1 intake valve 1mm at tdc (with the #1 lobes pointing down obv.). Don't trust your cam timing mark.

yes to your first question. guess I should attach the belt and see if the engine turns over smoothly together.

And okay I will follow your advice making sure the #1 intake valve is open when the piston is @ tdc. Just out of curiosity tho... why shouldn't I trust my cam timing?

yes to your first question. guess I should attach the belt and see if the engine turns over smoothly together.

And okay I will follow your advice making sure the #1 intake valve is open when the piston is @ tdc. Just out of curiosity tho... why shouldn't I trust my cam timing?

Because the timing marks don't tale into account manufacturing variances in the engine, and the cam dowel is hardly ever at tdc with an aftermarket cam.

Anyway, start with -4? at the cam gear. It goes against forum lore but that's what it worked put at in my motor and Nathaninwa's dyno testing seems to corroborate. Just measure lift and call it good.

Because the timing marks don't tale into account manufacturing variances in the engine, and the cam dowel is hardly ever at tdc with an aftermarket cam.

Anyway, start with -4? at the cam gear. It goes against forum lore but that's what it worked put at in my motor and Nathaninwa's dyno testing seems to corroborate. Just measure lift and call it good.

Okay thank you! I'm gonna work on it some more when I wake up:)

You can't shave enough off a head to make it an interference engine (well, guess you could but then you couldn't use the head)

Hard for me to believe that any cam for a red block, THAT radical, would be a good/smart thing for STOCK springs and followers to let things go that far?

I'd re-think it (unless you've had the head (valves and springs) re-worked also)

I thought it was pretty well known that aggressive cams make the b230 interference

OP, guess what, if you put the timing belt on like it's supposed to be, your motor is no longer an interference motor. You only need to worry about that if you don't plan on doing any maintenance and just driving it until the timing belt breaks.

I thought it was pretty well known that aggressive cams make the b230 interference

Not everyone's an expert like you

Go jerk each other off in private

Quit "guessing", because you can shave a head that much and you can still use it.

:lol:

OP, guess what, if you put the timing belt on like it's supposed to be, your motor is no longer an interference motor. You only need to worry about that if you don't plan on doing any maintenance and just driving it until the timing belt breaks.

:rofl:

You cut a ****ing head to the point that it's an interference engine and the head is a ****ing doorstop
No guessing to it dick breath

I would see your point if you cut the head .060" and put an M cam in it with the pathetic lift it has, but if you cut the head and still have a cam with any kind of lift, yeah, it'll still be usable AND be interference. If you have .030" from valve to piston on a bone stock setup (SWAG, varies with cam obviously), you trim .035" off the head, yeah, it's interference. If you trim off .020" (min-spec on the 530) and go from a stock head gasket at .049" compressed to a tight squish gasket at .030", then it's interference, but the head sure as hell ain't a door stop.

IPD cam in mine right now, head was trimmed .010" (still .010" above min-spec), block was decked .005" to get desired piston height, .035" cometic, mine is no doubt interference.

You cut a ****ing head to the point that it's an interference engine and the head is a ****ing doorstop
No guessing to it dick breath
Oh yeah? How many have you cut that much? Obviously zero, because you would know it's possible and other than the very high compression ratio that you must compensate for, does work.

Not only have I done it, but I've raced (not actually drove, just pit crew) that same head in a 24hr long endurance race. We also tried angle cutting just to experiment. Nothing really ever came of it, but the point is, we tried and messed around more than most. You see, when you have a head surfacing machine in your shop, you get to do things like experiment and play around. A lot of things don't work out, but even in failures there is a lot to be learned. Much better than reading some stuff on the internet and proclaiming you know what you are talking about.

998.jpg

Oh yeah? How many have you cut that much? Obviously zero, because you would know it's possible and other than the very high compression ratio that you must compensate for, does work.

Not only have I done it, but I've raced (not actually drove, just pit crew) that same head in a 24hr long endurance race. We also tried angle cutting just to experiment. Nothing really ever came of it, but the point is, we tried and messed around more than most. You see, when you have a head surfacing machine in your shop, you get to do things like experiment and play around. A lot of things don't work out, but even in failures there is a lot to be learned. Much better than reading some stuff on the internet and proclaiming you know what you are talking about.

I was working on Volvos (and every other make and model) when you were still sucking your mama's tit

Back