• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Search results

1. S

S/V/C zero compression cylinder 1

Kind of cross-posted from OT, need to make this a proper maintenance question now. So I bought a 1998 V70, N/A. The car ran great for 3 days, then I kind of beat on it a bit on the highway, nothing crazy but I definitely put my foot down, wanted to see what it could do.. It seemed to lose a bit...
  2. S

240 Sanity check needed, HG (I think)

Hey guys, not been on here much recently, car has been trouble free and I've been super busy! I'd just like a sanity check before I rip this motor apart.. Anyway my wagon with a kjet B23E has been running rough as hell recently when cold, its had a hard time recently being used to tow my boat...
  3. S

Removing rear brake proportioning valve

I know theres been a couple of threads on this, I've searched and read them.. But my usage is slightly different. I drive on quite a few gravel roads, but I'm not racing on them and don't want to create a monster that is sketchy to drive on public roads. I tow a boat on them (a zodiac, total...
  4. S

240 Whats wrong with my window? Pics

So I have taken out this manual window that was non-functional, and it seemed that one of the joints was completely disconnected. I put them together, using a hammer to knock the pin through, it was fairly tight. There is nothing holding it in to the arm apart from the tightness of the...
  5. S

240 Removing door panel with door stuck closed?

Drivers door is stuck closed, something must be wrong in the latch mechanism. I can't get the door panel off with the door panel closed, can't pry at the clips.. Can't really see down into the mechanism, is it possible to 82 244 DL, power locks operating only from drivers side
  6. S

Just another $300 240

Picked this up a couple of days ago for my girlfriend to learn to drive in, wanted an auto. Classic TB price of $300. Its in really nice shape, only bits of rust are in rear buttcheeks plus some around rear wheel wells and its only surface, I've tried to punch a screwdriver through it, still...
  7. S

240 Head gasket questions

I'm doing a head gasket on a $300 car I just picked up for my girlfriend, its pretty mint apart from the blown gasket (really bad, super milky oil, I towed it home). Guy did start it for me, it has sat for 10 months and fired first time, ran great for 3 seconds before I shut it off. He said it...
  8. S

240 Source for instrument cluster bulbs?

I believe these are the right ones? Hard to find, IPD or FCP don't have them, dealer couldn't get me any either.. http://www.elightbulbs.com/Eiko-48006-A-1272-Miniature-Automotive-Light-Bulb
  9. S

240 broken bumpstops in struts?

So after this happening 6 months ago: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264841 I jacked up the front drivers side of the car to investigate a new clunking sound coming from that side. And it seems the same thing has happened, the wheel doesn't leave the ground when it should, if I...
  10. S

240 sudden caliper failure

So I drove about a block this morning, when I braked the pedal went a fair bit further than usual and brake failure light came on. Stopped (guess dual diagonal does what its supposed to do, still had brakes) and one half of the reservoir was completely empty, it was full a couple days ago. Left...
  11. S

240 Really bad tire wear only on one front tire?

As title says, my front passenger tire is really worn, but only on the outer half. Tires were brand new 15k ago (they were pretty cheap, but still..). 3 of them are absolutely fine, loads of tread left. I rotated them about 3k ago and all seemed to be wearing normally. I have the most camber I...
  12. S

740 Removing remote oil filter thingy/oil cooler lines

So whats the secret? 87 760 turbo with 120k, I bought "everything under the hood" for $100. :oogle: Not going to pull the motor, just been taking everything else. Anyway, can't disconnect the hard lines from the oil cooler to the part where the filter is. Does it just need more force or am I...
  13. S

240 Fixing rust..

So I decided it was time to turn my attention to rust, I find this tedious.. Anyway, I thought I just had a bit of surface rust here, nope. It was all bondo on top of rust... Got rid of most of it, obviously a bit more still to go. So does this need new sheet metal welding in? Other option is...
  14. S

240 Wiper assembly question

Photo attached, trying to help out a friend here. The cable seems to be an inch too short to go around the pulley. I've assembled one outside of the car and it was easy. This isn't going to go. Using the bearing/pulley from a later car, the long arm there is the one on the car, a 79 240. It all...
  15. S

240 Replacement/upgrade for sealed beams

I have quad rounds. One headlight failed, followed a few hours later by the other one.. (Its not a wiring issue, I have redone all the wiring and added relays, I have good voltage and ground at the lights, they are definitely dead, and probably at least 10 years old.) Since replacement sealed...
  16. S

240 So I almost got hurt by a strut this evening

Bit of a warning thread, I've worked on struts quite a few times, on other cars as well as on a 240 previously. But never seen this. I was planning on changing both the strut and mount, both were in need of replacement, I knew that. No funny noises from the strut or anything clunking but it...
  17. S

240 Driveline vibration causes

I get a pretty bad shaking/vibration from somewhere in the driveline/rear end when pulling away from a stop. Only in first gear. I have replaced the centre support mount, new volvo trailing arm bushings, and new poly torque rod bushings. Car is N/A, so its not like huge amounts of power are...
  18. S

240 Rear hub leaking diff oil

As title says, I noticed some diff oil running down from the passenger side hub, its leaking down the wheel side of the brake dust cover and dripping onto the wheel. Its really not very much oil, the sort of leak that will lead to needing to top up the diff every 6 months. But I've never delved...
  19. S

240 Opinions on taking steering rack from car that has been hit in front?

So as title says, got access to a parts car, its pretty much stripped now, but I was thinking about grabbing the rack. Mine is probably original to car, nearly 300 k miles on it so its got to be fairly worn, hardly any play but its just pretty old. Parts car only has 100k miles on the clock, was...
  20. S

240 Kjet resource find, calibrating CPRs

Anybody seen this link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4587975-Warm-up-regulator-%28WUR%29-Calibration Might give it a go, I'm getting a slightly low control pressure when fully warm, and its a bit too low when cold too, considering "cold" at the moment is about 70 degrees... Not the...
Back