• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Search results

1. D

installing my mbc

Hi, I`ve got a 440 turbo and recently bought a basic mbc, i`ve spent ages tring to find a nailed-on guide to which pipes to pull off and where to put it. Theres a lot of pics and sketches explaining things but not for a 440. Theres a solonoid valve at the back of the engine - will this be...
  2. D

440 turbo temp sensor

Hello, does anyone have or know where the engine temperature sensor that acts as a choke? I had a garage look at the car and they said the connection was dicky - if any one has any pictures etc? I think my erratic cold idle / not just right hot idle is due to damp distributer, mucky injectors...
  3. D

acceleration grinding noise

when i accelerate in 1st and 2nd i get a gring noise - It could be timing belt tensioner from reading other threads - if so can anyone say if it might go bad? It also could be an engine mount problem or drive shaft - samehere is this deterimental ?
  4. D

gearbox fill hole

can anyone describe or show a picture of the gearbox fill point on a 90 440 turbo i can`t find it for the life in me :oops:
  5. D

temperature ok or not?

My 440 has got a digital engine temp. sensor - when stuck in traffic this can quickly climb to 80 / 90+ deg. - but when traveling along can quickly drop back to 72 - what temp is the considered ok and what is overheating ? and can high temp. have a influence on the idle speed ? ( it seams to...
  6. D

wastegate rod adjustment

my wastegate rod bolt is rusted badly, i thought of cutting the rod and making a sleave with 2 grub screws to refix bolth sides ans also get adjustment. will this work? My turbo gauge has never got as far as the red - will this put it in the red and is this bad ?
  7. D

off the gas!!!

got a 91 440 turbo, when i come off the gas the revs drop rapidly to below the normal 900rpm , then it quickly goes back up then down again until it settles down. It is becoming annoying , does anyone know what component is to blame and how to fix. :???:
  8. D

timing belt?

I have a 91 440 turbo, does anyone know :???: if the engine would be damaged if the timing belt went? And also how can you check if your wastegate is work properly?
  9. D

Fuel addatives

on my 440 turbo, the idle speed could be better - i thought of putting in some fuel additive to clean the system / make things better, does anyone know if any of those things actually work. As a side line i`ve got a picture of my engine of a hose that looks suspect - how can i attach the photo...
  10. D

mot emissions

I recently had a my 440 turbo MOT`ed , they turned down the emission , before it used to tick over better than it does now and i`m sure I sometimes here it back fire , can I easily put it back to how it used to be. :rant:
  11. D

what oil type ?

My 91 1.7 turbo 440 needs topping up with oil , ive not had it too long , can anyone tell me what type and make of oil should be in there so i can just top it up. and if a car burns a bit of oil and you top it up regularly does this count as a continuous oil change and lessen the need for a...
  12. D

turbo noises

Got a 91 440 1.7 turbo , i think the turbo is on its way out - its making a metalic blowing noise when accelerating in the turbo range and a louder grating noise when you come off the gas or change gear - a few of questions please : - is it detramental thet the turbo works ?,if i keep out of...
  13. D

turbo cooling ?

I have a 1991 440 1.7 turbo , can any one tell me if its water cooled or oil cooled , and if it relies on the same oil and coolants that the engine does?.; and how to check the turbo coolant system is full and operating correctly. thanks :eek:
  14. D

engine or turbo oil guage

91 440 1.7 turbo, can anyone tell me what the oil guage next to the turbo clock is reading , is it engine oil pressure or turbo oil pressure , from reading the threads am i right in saying there may be different coolant types and pressure for the turbo system ?
  15. D

440 turbo --- fuel tank problem

On my 440 turbo , I can have 1/2 a tank of fuel showing , but if i park uphill or get in a traffic jam pointing uphill - the fuel reading drops to nothing and even stalls after a few minutes , this does not seem to happen when im not pointing up hill , surely the tank can`t be designed this...
  16. D

range meter ?

I have a volvo 440 turbo witch has a mileage computer display next to the speedo, i have no had hand book - can some one tell me what the range setting is for ,why a red light would flashes beneath it and also what the numbers on the display are supposed to mean in range mode ? :???:
  17. D

440 turbo engine idle problems

Got a 1991 440 turbo --- when car is cold the idle speed is a little erratic but gets better the warmer the engine gets, if the engine gets too hot in idle speed ( just sat in drive.) it eventually timing becomes worse and stalls the car and wont start for a couple of minutes. ( engine cooling...
  18. D

440 turbo --- strange noises

I own a 1991 440 turbo --- when i stop and turn off the engine a strange noise starts for about 30 second that seems to be controlled by a timer or contactor?, not too bothered about noises as long as they sound healthy but this one sounds like somethings dying ( it stops and starts, gets louder...
Back