• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Neutral Safety Switch

MarkWilson2

Could someone please tell me where the Neutral Safety Switch is located on a 1994 Volvo 940 wagon?
Thank you.

Hmmmm....
Alldata says it's the same as mine, attached to the left side of the shifter.
Worldpac and Rockauto think a 94 940 has it attached to the transmission (AW30-40LE).

my-prdnl.JPG

AW30-40LE-prndl.jpg

Hello, please could someone tell me if I have identified the neutral safety switch in this photo? If I have, could you please explain to me how I remove it? I am an old bugger, so I would like to try cleaning it before I am forced to spend money on a replacement.
Thank you

Is this the neutral safety switch?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 10
I'm not sure if this will help or not but here's a pic from the parts catalog. It shows the switch on the other side but that may just be so that it's easier to see.
GR-65427.jpg

It appears to be held in place by a pair of these push on fasteners.
a_20170914_1221401721.png

Oh, dude, can we see the cover of your shifter? I could be very very wrong, but it looks like your PNP switch is still on the left side and your gear indicator with the light bulb and glass and slidy thing is on the right side. My hypothesis is, the PNP switch couldn’t swap sides because it’s designed for the left side, with its left-most side being closed off and having the solder joint all over it. Just a thought, but if we could see some more pictures (shifter assembly from the left side, shifter cover) that might help.

Thank you for your help.
I will go and take photos from the left sidee, and post them to this forum.

Hello.
Please can someone explain to me how I remove and clean the Neutral Safety Switch on a 1994 Volvo 940?
Thank you

Hello.
Please can someone explain to me how I remove and clean the Neutral Safety Switch on a 1994 Volvo 940?
Thank you
Oh, dude, can we see the cover of your shifter? I could be very very wrong, but it looks like your PNP switch is still on the left side and your gear indicator with the light bulb and glass and slidy thing is on the right side. My hypothesis is, the PNP switch couldn’t swap sides because it’s designed for the left side, with its left-most side being closed off and having the solder joint all over it. Just a thought, but if we could see some more pictures (shifter assembly from the left side, shifter cover) that might help.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpeg
    IMG_1637.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 3
Remove the 2 Circular Metal Tabs and slide the Neutral Safety Switch off of the PLASTIC (Be CAREFUL NOT to Break) Tabs...As an ALTERNATIVE, there is a PINK BYPASS WIRE in the Engine Bay Near the Power Steering Reservoir that you can USE and Connect DIRECTLY to Starter Solenoid....

Those little metal clips (speed nuts) are a bear. Take your time, be careful about the plastic rods that they’re on. I was using an angled pick to bend up each tab (only 2 or 3 necessary). Then they lose their bite and slide off easily. Inspect the solder with a magnifying glass, or just look closely, make sure it looks in good shape. MAFS cleaner and an old (but clean) toothbrush is a relatively safe way to clean. Remember your gloves, this is bad stuff. As well as a towel to protect your interior. Remember to let it dry out before testing it. Electrical is my weak spot, cleaning contacts and checking continuity is about as far as my knowledge goes. Good luck, sir.

Remove the 2 Circular Metal Tabs and slide the Neutral Safety Switch off of the PLASTIC (Be CAREFUL NOT to Break) Tabs...As an ALTERNATIVE, there is a PINK BYPASS WIRE in the Engine Bay Near the Power Steering Reservoir that you can USE and Connect DIRECTLY to Starter Solenoid....
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I shall follow your advice.
Cheers.

Back