• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No longer mom's grocery getter(1991 244)

I'd go Cobra rimz in Bronze because 9" and Bronze.

What are those black ones? TSWs? They look terrible on your car. No lip=meh.

Moda. And yeah, they're totally meh on the car in their current condition with those tires. They look good not on the car though...

cobras. they seem to fill it out a little better.

It sounds like it's almost time for you to finally put a turbo on your car.

Haha, I never mentioned Turbo in there, Brett!

The Cobras definitely fill better at this point, but they have massive tires on them and the other wheels have mini tires on! They'll definitely fill out well, regardless though. More than I'd like, but I think I may just go with them for now because it's what I have. I need to figure out what color I'm going to run though.

The modas would look sweet if they weren't black I think...:nod:

Be sure to post a review of the Michelins! Interested to hear your thoughts on them.

They definitely would look better if silver and with larger tires on them... But they are completely, COMPLETELY flat faced. Still look good in person and the Tethys are basically flat faced too... Rye mentioned removing the inner lip for the centercap and beveling the inside edge to make it look better where the outside of the centercap would sit could look cool, but that's a lot of work and it still may not look that great. They are pretty beat up also, so it'd be a good bit of elbow grease for what may or may not come out well.

I will definitely post a review on the tires. The Hankook Ventus V12 EVOs I ran this last time around weren't worth the hype. They're good in the dry, but not as awesome as expected. At least, they definitely don't feel like it, and in the wet they are not confidence inspiring at all. Even though the General Exclaim UHPs were a more all season style tread design, I liked them better than the Hankooks. Neither have great steering response and these PSS's should be an improvement all around. Not quite as good of response as the PS2s they replace, but I'm ok with that for the improvements in comfort/tread life/noise/wet grip, etc. :)

Here are a couple of photoshops courtesy of Pat. the polished base makes everything glossy where it would actually be more matte to fit my liking:
kylecobra01.jpg

kylegreycobra01.jpg

kylegoldcobra01.jpg

kylebronzecobra01.jpg

kyleyellowcobra01.jpg

kyleorangecobra01.jpg

Eww, too much "rim":
kylelm01.jpg

On another note, I'm having lots of fun playing around with my Ostrich and EZK right now... Except for the fact that I think the internal battery is dead in the Ostrich so I ALWAYS have to have the computer also hooked up. Time to get a chip burned, I guess. :)

I was also talking to Mrjaybeeze about stuff and he mentioned that when they were playing with H cams they ran their valve clearances loose(.020") to improve idle quality. I'm going to do that or swap in the ENEM K13 again with the clearances also loose, as my car will be due for emissions next month and I want to see if I can get it to pass. Last time I had to resort to 30% E85, heh.

Notes for future comparison/reference: As it sits with the H cam, I think ~.016" valve clearances, 1000rpm idle, 10w30 Redline, the warm idle vacuum bounces around 12.5" vacuum with the cam straight up and 14" with the cam advanced 4 degrees.

Last edited:
Kyle, your car looks great and I really like that you've kept it N/A. The stance of the car is amazingly great and everything about it looks sweet. I saw you driving it in SW Portland a while ago, not only looks great but sounds great as well. BTW, I was the one that called The V Shop a little while ago about dragging my 245 out of retirement after sitting for 8 months.

Kyle, your car looks great and I really like that you've kept it N/A. The stance of the car is amazingly great and everything about it looks sweet. I saw you driving it in SW Portland a while ago, not only looks great but sounds great as well. BTW, I was the one that called The V Shop a little while ago about dragging my 245 out of retirement after sitting for 8 months.
Colleen's son? What's your name again? Sorry... :) Welcome to Turbobricks! Also, I can open up registration on OVT for you, just let me know if you haven't already registered over there.

Thanks for the kind words! I can't wait to get my new tires on the car. I posted above that I was toying with swapping over to the Cobra replica wheels, but I just don't have time to run around, get the tires dismounted, figure out a powdercoating shop, get them powdercoated, and so on. I just want the tires ON the car and to be DONE with it. So, tomorrow the tires are getting mounted on the Tethys and that'll be that.

I want to see how/if it'll go through DEQ(it's not due for another year) with the H cam advanced a tooth and the loose clearances, but then I'll be swapping the ENEM K13 back in and rolling with it. Then it's onto tweaking the fuel tuning again, after I get a different wideband o2 sensor in the car.

Colleen's son? What's your name again? Sorry... :) Welcome to Turbobricks! Also, I can open up registration on OVT for you, just let me know if you haven't already registered over there.

Thanks for the kind words! I can't wait to get my new tires on the car. I posted above that I was toying with swapping over to the Cobra replica wheels, but I just don't have time to run around, get the tires dismounted, figure out a powdercoating shop, get them powdercoated, and so on. I just want the tires ON the car and to be DONE with it. So, tomorrow the tires are getting mounted on the Tethys and that'll be that.

I want to see how/if it'll go through DEQ(it's not due for another year) with the H cam advanced a tooth and the loose clearances, but then I'll be swapping the ENEM K13 back in and rolling with it. Then it's onto tweaking the fuel tuning again, after I get a different wideband o2 sensor in the car.

Yeah, Colleen's son. My name's Lewis. Thanks for the welcome! It would be nice to set up an account with OVT. Funny that both of our car's were our parents previously...Can't wait to see what it looks like with the new set of tires on it.

Pat, don't contribute to Kyle's delinquency! Kyle, I'm gonna start calling you Imelda if you don't stop buying more wheels and tires before you rebuild your tired old N/A lump!

A fantasy world for Kyle.....an N/A 244 and 500 wheel and tires combos to choose from every day! Every morning it would be, "Should I wear my sensible M+S silver Tethys, or my F***-Me Gold Pegs with the slutty Hoosiers today, hmmmmmm?"

Yeah, Colleen's son. My name's Lewis. Thanks for the welcome! It would be nice to set up an account with OVT. Funny that both of our car's were our parents previously...Can't wait to see what it looks like with the new set of tires on it.
Well, it looks the same as always because I just had them put on the Tethys... :cool: The tires ROCK!!! SOO much better than the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO tires, even when they were new. I guess that's to be expected when you slap down 1.5 times the money for tires - sadly, it doesn't always work out that way. Luckily, in this circumstance, it did work out that way. They have so much grip, wet or dry, it's amazing. The car feels sloppy now, needs stiffer springs/shocks/struts... :) Then again, I knew that already, it's just that much more obvious when you're booking it around a corner and come across some bumps. I also need to finish rolling the left rear fender. For some reason the top of the fender opening was not rolled and it scrapes the tire lightly when hitting larger bumps.

-I just opened up registration on OVT for a little bit, so you can go there and sign up on the forums as if there wasn't anything wrong. :) I'll be locking down the registration in a bit because I get soooo many spam accounts signed up a day.

-Regarding DEQ... MY CAR PASSED!!!!! By a HAIR. Granted, it doesn't matter as I'm not due for another year and I will have something more aggressive in there then. It'll be E85 to the rescue at that point, unless I get a larger catalytic converter. The Hydrocarbons were 210 of 220 allowed.... Haha. That's with a stock fuel computer, 1000rpm idle speed, H cam advanced a tooth(camshaft is ~.047" closer to the crank, so, supposedly ~4-5* retarded in "straight up" position, and advancing a tooth is ~8*, if I remember correctly), valve clearances set loose (.019" intakes/.020" exhausts). I would expect to have less issue passing on a stock or better done/smaller valved cylinder head. Especially with a larger catalytic converter than the small, 200 cell spun, high flow Magnaflow cat on there now.

-I hate that I wrecked my car. I hate that the body shop repairs aren't as good as I would like. I hate that my car is rusting now. I HATE IT! Don't mess your car up, it'll never be the same. :grrr::grrr::grrr::grrr::grrr:

-I bought a beige/brown '87 244 for daily driving duty so I can not feel "bad" about making this car a little less grandma friendly. Not that it isn't, or won't be, but still.

Plans for the engine this year are put the K13 camshaft back in and get a 16V throttle body grafted on the front of a b21F manifold to get rid of the massive restriction of a b230F manifold.

I really want a larger camshaft(the K13 is barely larger than the H, it turns out, and was basically a waste of money), but the cylinder head is not as good as once thought and I'll have to get a different one from Sweden for my goals. There's some flow separation at .035" lift and the flow numbers are all wrong in general because there likely was an air leak on the flow bench setup that was ballooning the flow numbers, especially at low lifts. Once I get that camshaft with 14mm of intake lift and 290+ duration at ~.020", I'll also need to either get a new header or redo the secondary pipes with something a good bit larger. The header on the car now is barely large enough for a stock engine, let alone mine as it is now. It's not worth it to modify it to match the setup this year though, only to have to redo it again later on when I'm actually running the head/cam that I want to. Once the b21F manifold is modified though, I at least won't have to bother with the intake manifold again.

I also need to get a working wideband o2 sensor in the car again so I can tune the fuel chip. With recent developments and minor changes here and there, it's running 14.0-14.1 AFRs at WOT again... No good!

Wow, the car is looking great. Don't feel bad about the body shops work, my car was repaired by a Volvo dealer and they still couldn't get it right.

Also I vote for bronze mesh wheels.:)

just put the 960 tb on the bottom of the b21 manifold :) im running the b21 mani on my car it picked up horspower at the top end and lost some torque down low

Back