• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Fake Racecar

How did you transmit the analog mechanical dial for measuring the cam lobes into the computer?

I guess you could consider it a bio mechanical logger. It uses stereoscopic image recognition that transfers an artificial colorant from a special purpose dispenser with a multi-joint manipulator to a wood pulp based semi-permanent memory.

Ha. I meant from that picture you only have the dial indicator, I'm just wondering if you used an electronic instrument to do the measurements vs the degrees or you just took various heights and mapped it mathematically...

Reading the dial indicator and protractor then writing them down. He mashed a keyboard with excel open and the graph appeared.

Very few people notice that. It was a spur of the moment thing, we'll see if it pays off later when the car gets painted.

Before I went back to Sweden for school I tore the steering rack down and ordered a rebuild kit from Jorgen Automotive. It was only ~$60 shipped and Roger, the guy I spoke to, was extremely helpful and well informed. Definitely recommend them for steering rack rebuild kits. I took some of the rack parts with me for modification.

Turned new stainless gland nuts that hold the central steel tube onto the aluminum ends. I also cut the old rack mounts off and turned the aluminum parts down to a uniform diameter in order to accept a new, more stable mounting solution:

Whipped up a spanner wrench to aid in assembly:

Now that is impressive!

Those gland nuts are terrible from the factory, worst part of the rebuild is dealing with those.

Very few people notice that. It was a spur of the moment thing, we'll see if it pays off later when the car gets painted.

Before I went back to Sweden for school I tore the steering rack down and ordered a rebuild kit from Jorgen Automotive. It was only ~$60 shipped and Roger, the guy I spoke to, was extremely helpful and well informed. Definitely recommend them for steering rack rebuild kits. I took some of the rack parts with me for modification.

Turned new stainless gland nuts that hold the central steel tube onto the aluminum ends. I also cut the old rack mounts off and turned the aluminum parts down to a uniform diameter in order to accept a new, more stable mounting solution:

2013-01-22%252023.35.34.jpg

Whipped up a spanner wrench to aid in assembly:

2013-01-23%252023.38.44.jpg
It's like you guys piss awesomeness. :oogle:

Now that is impressive!

Those gland nuts are terrible from the factory, worst part of the rebuild is dealing with those.

Thanks Mike. Yeah I had a hell of a time getting those things off. It took heat, hammer persuasion, and quite a lot of swearing. When the smoke cleared the original ones were completely wrecked. Either way, I like the new ones way better anyway.

Yadda yadda, how's that bellhousing coming?

It's in the making.

We drafted up a list of which gauges should be on the dash and the list was long. A dash display would be a welcome addition that would save weight, dash clutter, and wiring. Both Karl and I have always liked Stack products except for the price; $1500 for a base model and several hundred dollars for options makes it financially unobtainable for a couple of college students. Luckily we both value our time at zero so we decided to roll our own.

I'm doing the mechanical design and Karl is handling the electronics. The entire assembly is now finished in Solidworks so I started by machining a couple of molds for the housing:

photo.JPG

This is the mold for the rear part of the housing after way too many hours of wet sanding, with many hours of sanding and polishing remaining. Homer is going to lay up some pre-preg carbon fiber for maximum fake race car status.

The PCB is taking shape and Karl is burning the midnight oil to finish up the design:

dashpcb.PNG

It will be connected to the Megasquirt via CAN bus and will also support an AIM compatible serial data stream. It also has support for additional analog inputs.

Last edited:
Wow! I'm sittin here with a semi in my pants:-P Awesome works boys so karl is coding it all? If it can take a AIM serial stream then i'm interested in one:)

Please tell me you'll make more then 1!
That sounds like exactly what I want!

EDit: Other then those fully LCD gauges, does no ones make MS driven gauges?

Back