• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Too cheap to pay for dyno time... street tuning advice?

740atl

Gear acquisition syndrome
Has anyone figured out a reliable, repeatable method to extract data from driveshaft VSS or accelerometer data to input to tunerstudio to get a repeatable "dyno" or "torque" readout in a MLV datalog? The goal of course being to then make meaningful changes to VE or spark advance that will increase the power output of the car and be able to observe in the MLV datalog that your changes made the torque (or power or whatever) increase.

Granted, this is exactly what one would do on a dyno cell but without the $200-$300 per hour. (at least in NJ)

Every six months or so the que of things I need to remember empties and all the other things I was interested in come back to the surface...like this topic... so I check google to see if anyone has done this type of thing and posted it to the interwebs... but I haven't found anythign... maybe I just suck at the googles.

In theory, if you have a flat stretch of road, either from a stop or rolling start pass a point on the road where you smash the pedal, and measure a full power run from 40-70 (or whatever works for your car without changing gear or what you can do safely), can you extract meaningful data from either VSS or accelerometer to make the requisite tuning mods for more power?

Yes, of course, you'd have to be as consistent as possible to get reliable repeatable results... no gear changes, no hills, no dodging deer or small humans. on the same stretch of road in exactly the same direction.... in theory it should be doable yes?

I know it's not going to be near as good or repeatable (or safe) as a dyno, but surely one could extract something meaningful from the data yes?

What say ye? Anyone have experience in this type of thing?

Last edited:
EFI Analytics has ShadowDash for $15 that will do MegaSquirt logging to your Android cell phone and includes the cell phone GPS/Accelerometer data in the log. I think you can download it for free to see if it will work on your specific cell phone. I don't think Phil is doing much work on this anymore, so it may not work with newer versions of Android.

If I remember, I'll generate a ShadowDash log with my custom logger and take a look at GPS/Accelerometer data vs. actual VSS.

Edit: I looked briefly and all I have sitting around is a really boring drive-to-work ShadowDash log from my wagon. I've attached a few minute excerpt so that you can see what ShadowDash adds for GPS/Accelerometer logging. The "VSS" entry is MPH from my logger; the "MPH" entry is from the GPS data. You can plot latitude and longitude in a scatter plot to see me leaving the neighborhood.

Attachments

• 2023-10-11_06.53.52_edited.msl.zip
    191.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back