• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 School me on Regina management

940wagon

I've daily driven a LH 2.4 1995 945 for a few years now, just replaced headgasket and every engine wear component, every bit of suspension is brand new etc etc, I feel it's more reliable now than ever before and it's never given me serious problems of any sort.

I made an impulse buy today of a 1990 740 GL wagon for $500. New timing belt, radiator, and alternator installed recently. It pisses oil out of the front of the motor like a mother****er, and you can visually see water leaking out of the water pump. Alignment is off too so I'm thinking water pump, the 3 front seals, tie rods, ball joints since I'll be down there anyways, alignment, and the car will be good to go. Probably replace ignition wear items soon after that, and the other obvious new-to-you car stuff.

I've no experience with the Regina management system. What should I look out for? Any special preventative steps I can take? I'd obviously like this car to be as reliable as possible, just on somewhat more of a budget than my daily driver.

Thanks for any help.

I drove a '93 940 with regina for like 40k miles and never had any ignition related problems. Or any problems really. I sold it to a friend last year and it's up to 320k now. Mine had the block distributor and I appreciated the $10 Bosch cap and rotor compared to the head mounted. Regina's pretty simple.

Buy as many spare coils as possible. Other than that they're pretty reliable. I drove mine with over 300k for a while and it never left me stranded. guy who has it now didn't do the timing belt but that is the only issue with it.

No one knows much about Regina because it never breaks. Ever. Fuel pumps went well over 250K miles in the 1990 and '91 745's I've had. I did replace one MAP sensor, which is a $30 part from GM/AC Delco. Beats a $400 AMM. I know ignition coils are supposed to be troublesome, but I've never had a lick of trouble with them. I have had a tote full of Regina spares for 10-15 years, and I've used nothing.

Most sensors on the motor are identical to LH2.4. Throttle sensor is deffirent. IAC is different. Crank sensor trigger wheel is different. BrickBoard FAQ should have some good reading, and Volvo wiring diagrams (.com) should have some green books on Regina and the Ignition green book will cover EZK and Rex.

So, as a DD, Regina is the bees knees. I've even had Regina running a B234 for the last 5 years. Where Regina falls a bit short is if you have turbo aspirations...

-Ryan

The regina Throttle sensor is not available anymore and the bosch one is not interchangeable.
I've been using a bosch on my project 92 740 regina and i can't get a smooth idle..

Wow great, I always thought people preferred LH 2.4 to Regina, but sounds like for stock reliability she ain't bad?

Thanks for all the info so far, keep it comin!

The regina Throttle sensor is not available anymore and the bosch one is not interchangeable.
I've been using a bosch on my project 92 740 regina and i can't get a smooth idle..

Used Regina/VDO sensors should be available used. Though if you want to try the Bosch, you should just need to swap pins in the harness connector. Both sensors have a 5V feed, and one pin that returns to the ECU with "idle", and the other says "WOT".

-Ryan

Used Regina/VDO sensors should be available used. Though if you want to try the Bosch, you should just need to swap pins in the harness connector. Both sensors have a 5V feed, and one pin that returns to the ECU with "idle", and the other says "WOT".

-Ryan
So.i bit the bullet and got a used one from ebay.It idles soo smooth now.I might get another one since these regina ones are becoming increasingly hard to find.;-)

I have the factory Regina programmer. Once this is done they run so much better. Look for a sticker on your ecu that’s hand written with a date and dealer number to see if it’s been done. If not message me and I can reprogram it. I installed an A cam in my dd Regina car and it loves it. I’m planing on installing a b234 head and use the Regina system

The Regina is a one pump system so the intank is it. afaik you can use a Deatch or other.
The O2 is Not the same as Bosch.
I've never had one but read a lot about them on BB; the 'coil' contacts can corrode but can be cleaned up.
I think Matt740 did a turbo on one and it worked well.

Back