• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Power window fuse keeps blowing

Motakitty

I have a 91 240 wagon and the window fuse keeps blowing. The windows still work if I jump the fuse. I checked for shorts but the wiring still looks good and checked the switches which looked good and were working. Before this happened they would roll up and down kinda slow so I'm kinda thinking the windows need a good cleaning and regreasing the tracks might help.

Wash your windows inside and out with glass cleaner and then apply "Rain X' both inside and outside.
This should lower the electrical current required to move the glass, and help your problem.

Lube the tracks, rails , whatever is inside the door. All pivot points. If you are adventurous you can open the motor and clean out all of the old lube and renew.

What works well to lube the tracks? Any how to keep it off the glass?

We always used silicon spray. It is not easy to keep off the glass.

I was usually successful using the straw that comes with the can of silicon spray AND taking a piece of cardboard (cereal box type) and folding it over the window before spraying.

Glass cleaner with alcohol as its primary ingredient is best for removing any overspray.

Last edited:
Also make sure you are using the good brass and copper fuses. The white metal fuses corrode and won't last long. They can even look good while being old and compromised.

What works well to lube the tracks? Any how to keep it off the glass?

Put the window(s) down, this leaves a gap or channel between the guides and the glass, and keeps the window fairly clean. Use the 'straw' to aim down into the gap, and don't be stingy with the silicone. Raise and lower window a few times to distribute, lather/rinse/repeat as necessary until smooth and rapid operation is achieved.

Awesome thanks guys I will try lubing the tracks and everything in the door. If that doesn't work I'll open up the motors but I know that's more involved.

I finally had time to lube up my windows and it seemed yo help. I also noticed that my rear driver window bolts that hold the window bracket (brain fart on the proper name) were loose so I tightened em up. I was able to roll each window up and down without the fuse blowing. They also went up and down much faster. I used to roll them up and down all at the same time which I'm sure added much more draw on the system so I'll do em one at a time now.

Back