• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

cost estimate for vac leak

gharwell

i recently bought a 1982 244 t and need to repair a vaccum leak in order to pass smog. anybody have any idea roughly what im looking at as far as a price for the repair? thanks for your time.

At LEAST $2000!

sorry, accidentally added a few zeros. Depends on the source. Could be a $2 vacuum hose (most likely culprit), or a intake gasket, or component leak. Check all the little rubber hoses coming out from your intake manifold for cracks or ageing. Replacing all the 4mm lines is less than $10 and 5 minutes under the hood.

i recently bought a 1982 244 t and need to repair a vaccum leak in order to pass smog. anybody have any idea roughly what im looking at as far as a price for the repair? thanks for your time.

Hi gharwell,

Almost any vacuum leak I can think of is cheap to repair. The expensive part is finding it and being sure fixing it will solve the emissions problem. Something tells me whoever claims it is a vacuum leak is guessing, or she would have told you exactly what is leaking and how she would repair it.

I'm still trying to figure out the part about asking a "she" about the vacuum leak. Does he have a female mechanic? We need more female mechanics.

How was this determined? Pressure testing the evap? It's common for the tank vent hoses above the rear axle to deteriorate on 240's and cause the evap to fail the pressure test. Both of my 240's did this when being tested, both were repaired for free by my smog guy because I use a test and repair shop.

If it's an engine vacuum leak that's really easy to find and fix, even if it's an intake gasket. 240's are very simple cars.

I've got a '75 245 through BC emissions by introducing a small
vacuum leak in the right place...

It leaned it out, in practice.

Best strategy is to fail once, and note what you failed on, do
some research, and make adjustments in the direction of fixing
your problem. Even with a carb/k-jet system, you can push it in
the direction you want with the right tweaks.

I can't really recall the Ontario standards, but in BC, you only
need to be as good as the car was when stock. It's low hanging
fruit. If you have retrofitted a modern EFI/IGN system. It is one of
the advantages to owning a seventies 240.

If you are modding an old 240, you can work towards the period
standards with no trouble.

The modern control systems will ensure that your motor does not
blow up. They will be also enough to ensure that your motor will
not spew out egregious amounts of hydrocarbons or CO. If your
motor is running really inefficiently emissions-wise, your motor
will be running really inefficiency power-wise.

A good tune that is good for your track times is just as good as for
your emissions numbers.

Burning fuel for no reason is inefficient, no matter the situation.

a vacuum leak can be anything from a broken rubber elbow to a cracked intake.

i say somewhere between $5 and $2000 depending on who does it, parts involved and labor to diagnose the problem.. is that not very specific? neither were you.

Back