• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 AC belt snapped

supreme940

I recently had my ac belt snap on me because of age. I replaced it all the belts with genuine volvo belts, and less than 100 miles later and the ac belt snapped again.

What could cause this? The pulleys do not look out of alignment, and I had a shop vacuum / charge my ac to the recommended amount of refridgerant about a month before my old belt snapped. The adjustment stud on the pump broke when I was replacing it so I used a breaker bar to get the belt tight.

k9oztn3l.jpg

As above, confirm pulley alignment with a straight edge off the harmonic balancer pulley. MUST be as parallel as possible.

Do you have a belly pan installed under the engine?

As above, confirm pulley alignment with a straight edge off the harmonic balancer pulley. MUST be as parallel as possible.

Do you have a belly pan installed under the engine?

Yes I have the belly pan installed. I'll check the alignment again with the harmonic balancer

Also, the twin Vbelt pulley on your AC compressor might be in failure mode...... when you have belts removed, spin it slowly and feel if you detect any roughness.

Last question: what brand belt snapped? My best experience with these redblocks has come with NAPA or VOLVO belts. Never, ever use CONTI-TECH (I worked for those bastards for 18 years!)

Also, the twin Vbelt pulley on your AC compressor might be in failure mode...... when you have belts removed, spin it slowly and feel if you detect any roughness.

Last question: what brand belt snapped? My best experience with these redblocks has come with NAPA or VOLVO belts. Never, ever use CONTI-TECH (I worked for those bastards for 18 years!)

I've also had good luck with NAPA Pro belts (made by Gates). Gates belts are available from Rock Auto and are less expensive than the ones sold at NAPA. They certainly last longer than CONTI-TECH.

I've also had good luck with NAPA Pro belts (made by Gates). Gates belts are available from Rock Auto and are less expensive than the ones sold at NAPA. They certainly last longer than CONTI-TECH.

I try to get gates belts or dayco. I used a genuine volvo belt and it snapped. I went and got a driveworks belt for now while another genuine belt comes in the mail.

Alignment was good with the compressor pulley and harmonic so not sure what happened.

maybe you got an old stock belt? My Dad ordered v-belts for his 85 Prelude, and they came in some packaging that looked like it was from the 80's. He put them on, and predictably the water pump belt failed after like 300 miles.

I just replaced an AC hose recently and the next day the compressor locked up and chucked the belt. Have you checked for a seized compressor yet?

Back