• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Headlight step relay ?

vwblue1967

uncontrollable highbeams - solved

*** I had just unplugged the step relay for months and got use to not using high beams. one day I accidently clicked the high beam stalk and it blew a fuse. I was looking for a break in a wire and finally found it. the wiring harness was rubbing against the throttle cable and broke through two wires. Ive checked many times and not sure how I had missed the harness being damaged. hope this helps someone who may run into the same problem someday.

93 240

So my battery died..it's old so headed to buy a replacement. I figured I'd have it tested just to be sure and we we went outside my lights were on.

To the point..

The headlight switch was off. When I tapped the step relay it cut off. I slammed the hood and it started clicking making the lights go off and on. When I started the car it kept on until I cut the lights on then the flashing stopped.

Would a bad relay cut the lights on without the switch being on? I was thinking maybe a ground problem but wasn't sure how a bad ground would power the headlights...I would assume a bad ground would prevent them from coming on.

Last edited:
It sounds like a loose connection, especially since the battery was replaced. Disconnect the battery first, then unplug both connectors to the relay and check the wiring. Sometimes the wiring can be cracked and or melted--even the plastic socket can show signs of melting.
Also sometimes the 'guts' can come out from under the metal cover which can cause future problems--like dropping out and shorting while it is still connected causing a much bigger problem.

Dave Barton put together a nice write up of how to test the relay if you need to here: http://www.davebarton.com/pdf/headlightsteprelay.pdf

He also has the specific relay plugs here if they need replacing.
http://www.240turbo.com/blackvinyl.html#headlightrelayplugs

Hope this helps.

I actually never replaced the battery, I figured my lights clicked on while I was at work killing the battery. After getting a jump and letting it charge theres been no problem.

I did pull the relay made sure the contacts were clean and put a light coat of dielectric grease on them. While doing that I notice the wire cover had a smell crack in it. After opening the harness, I see the red and white wire had broken somehow (explains why my high beam indicator never worked. I corrected that along with making sure my under hood grounds were ok.

Thanks for the links durk80! Im going to try to find a spare and get testing.

Update to this issue...

I ended up unplugging the step relay because I didn't see any issues. I drove like this months and just dealt with no high beams.

I have replaced the main headlight relay, swapped the step relay with a good used one and swapped in a different turn signal H/B flash stalk. I figured one of those had to be the problem but as I was leaving on my lunch break...no power battery drained. I had a security guy help me jump it and he mentioned he thought the headlights were on and when he got closer to make sure they were off.

having this problem everything can be fine for weeks then out of no where they high beams flash like a strobe light or just click on and stay on. My next thoughts are to get a wiring diagram and see which wire comes from the stalk to the step relay and see if its broke somewhere. maybe somehow the insulation cracked and its grounding causing the flashing.

anyone else have any ideas?

thanks

When the headlights are off the only thing that can make them come on is when the stalk is pulled back. that turns on both high and low beams at once for the flash function. So maybe a pinched wire or something. Because to do the flash function or change from high to low beams the stalk grounds the relay control wire. So somewhere along that wire run are places to check.

That's what I'm thinking. Looking at the diagrams there's a brown wire from the stalk to the step relay. I tested it not being a ground normally and that it does ground when the stalk is pulled back. I'll see if I can find and breaks in the wire or I guess I'll have to run another and unplug that one.

Back