• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

aftermarket carpet and floor mats for 240 best?

jjona5

Anyone have any recommendations or damnation's for different companies? I would like to rip out my carpet, coat the floor, put in some sound deadening stuff, replace the carpet, and put in some floor mats. Any recommendations on floor mats and carpet companies?

I was hoping to get a review from someone here. I have bought carpet before and it was hit and miss. The place I used last and was happy with isn't around anymore.

My research into this subject uncovered that all molded carpets are manufactured by Auto Custom Carpets located in Anniston, AL. Carpets from Summit to Whitney to Ebay are sourced from there. Why not go to the manufacturer?

They are steam formed and sorta/kinda fit. Requires a lot of careful trimming and fitting and will not look as formed fitting at original but that is all that is available. I tried cleaning and dying the original and that did not work well.

Cutting the carpet and binding the edge with vinyl tape that they sell also as original makes the fitting task much, much easier than trying to do it in one piece. One piece simply doesn't fit. A local restoration company sewed the binding on at no cost because it only took about 90 seconds.

The rear is easy, the front more difficult with the shift hump and the center controls panel the difficult part. I removed the controls panel to fit the carpet in that area. A lot of work but necessary for a correct fit.

It comes tightly rolled up in a box and needs to 'relax' in the sun all day to get all the creases out. Plan on a couple cans of spray contact adhesive to get the carpet flat in places it doesn't want to be flat.

With this being said, here, and more so on my BMW sites, I have not heard many positive reviews about aftermarket carpets. Yes, they will work, but not as well as OEM. Just my two cents.

I tried the SEM vinyl paint on the carpets and didn't like the stiff results. You have to spray - brush - spray - brush - spray - brush -spray - brush - spray - brush - spray - brush -spray - brush - spray - brush - spray - brush -spray - brush - spray - brush - spray - brush . . . .

I discussed with George, one of the owners of Leathique the leather restoration company that I used for my Bertone interior restoration. He advised that I should use a toothbrush to separate the fibers after spraying the vinyl paint. Well . . . that ended that approach.

The ACC carpet, and they sell a couple different qualities, is beautiful but it does take some serious attention to detail to get a finished original look. Note the bound seam.

20160722_203938.jpg

Volvo%20Berton%20Nov%202016.jpg

Back