• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Different tuning approach for LH2.4

Hi there,

I did some engineering on our LH-Jetronic in the last few years. Not reading in forums (at least not the right ones), I was told now, that many secrets are already disclosed. I have seen the sticky post on this board, too. Unfortunately I worked independantely from you guys. But perhaps, there's something new to you anyway.

Check out these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47dMUC0Wzc (general)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vmRMGd9u60 (example)

As I said before, I used a different approach than the serial communication that's already provided. The protocol I use is an up-to-date common standard in the automobile development - at least here in europe. So you can use the same tools for calibrating the Jetronic, that engineers from, let's say, Mereceds used for calibrating the Bosch ME9.7 in their E-Class. Developing this adapter was more of an academic nature. I just found it being interesting to make a link between a child of the late 80s to the present.

Okay, some more info: I was working for a couple of years on reverse engineering the LH. I first figured out schematics + layout, then unknown IC's (like the Hybrid-IC) and finally the whole software (at least nearly, I never discovered adaptive idle calculation).

Then I started working on this adapter. I work in the automotive industrie (not Bosch ;-) ) where I calibrate drive train ECU. I thought it would be funny to use the same tools for calibrating our good old Jetronic. The adapter consists basically of a main computer plus an I/O converter and safety computer. Like an Ostrich or any other Emulator it replaces the original EPROM (so I'm not changing the original EPROM, if that was your question JW?).

Like I mentioned before, this project is just for fun. Go to the development division of volvo, give this adapter to them and they will be able to calibrate an old fashioned Jetronic like any of their actual prototypes. Thats the whole point! The electronic is quite expensive and the tool license is high priced, too. Nothing like tuner pro - but I didn't know that before :roll:

hello there....

I'd like to get my hands on this...

I can only touch the Eeprom with my burner and Beepee's XDF definition files. I have no way to tune real time.

Very impressive, and absolutely a must have tool. I cannot afford an ostrich..

a) That's ****ing rad
b) I really want to know what was on your desktop and start menu
28085365.jpg

hello there....

I'd like to get my hands on this...

I can only touch the Eeprom with my burner and Beepee's XDF definition files. I have no way to tune real time.

Very impressive, and absolutely a must have tool. I cannot afford an ostrich..

then you sure as heck cannot afford the factory unit he is using...while neat and I too would love to have access like he does, I'm guessing only a few of those devices exist in the US

Yeah he says it's different, then it's the same as the factory tuning, then ohh yeah by the way the software and the special puter to run it all is $50,000.00. But he's figured it all out...

LOL, I think it's more like putting 2011 technology to 1990 LH 2.4...maybe not very useful to anyone...yet if he has mapped out the chips that may be very useful in the other thread...

what a pity that this is not usable for "normaloguys" like.. .. guys not being you :D

but anyway.. awesome work jaz ;)

i want, i want... when do you do vacation in northern germany ? :D

Maybe we could tune my 16v then hehe

Nice work, very impressive and I am sure any info you have would be very useful to the tuning community on here and for other LH cars. Hella impressed :)

davidmacq said:
I think it's more like putting 2011 technology to 1990 LH 2.4...maybe not very useful to anyone...yet if he has mapped out the chips that may be very useful in the other thread...

That's right. The adapter is nothing you can buy from ECU manufacturers (Bosch, Conti, ...). I developed it on my own. The (software) tools in turn are common standard in automotive industrie (at least in europe). Sorry for confusion.

The adapter connects plug&play to the (E)PROM socket plus you have to solder 3 wires to the external SRAM. Contrary to some (all?) SAAB variants, the external SRAM is not fitted in our Jetronics. But even in our variants there is an autodetect for it, so it makes sense to emulate it.

blabla said:
The whole lambda correction stuff is amazing!

Oh yeah, thanks! Lambda correction is a big part of the software. Besides fuel calculation, OBD is another major topic. But there's is so much stuff inside. Think of acceleration enrichment, shift light, EGR-Temperature, consumption indicator, ... You can measure and calibrate everything :)

@MadDog: I will be there in August. Talk to Daniel, since I have no experience in tuning redblocks. Daniel knows about this adapter and should be able to write characteristics for it (as he's working in automotive industry, too).

Back