• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo Wagon RestoMod Help

Godbero

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and looking for advice. I recently had 1983 Volvo Turbo Wagon fall into my lap. It is my daily driver now but in need of some TLC, a refresh for the next 30 odd years. I am looking for two types of info.

1. Help coming up with a plan, a target build, a list of what upgrades to make as things are replaced that wore out, for example, if I need to replace suspension components anyway, what parts will give me a better suspension.

2. Help to find people that can do the work in my area. I found the Wagonmeister, who looks perfect, but he is in LA and I'm near DC.

What shops, close to the Washington, DC metro area can help me restore my Volvo and make reasonable performance modifications.

Thanks for reading and any you help you can provide.

First Step - Examine suspension attachment points for signs of rust, underneath vehicle, and within vehicle (removing flooring)

Next, assess what you want to do with the vehicle, and how much you want to spend as a total investment. It doesn't take very long to end up north of $10,000.00 USD in to one of these darn things. You can get a really nice, typically rust-free wagon from Wagonmeister for reasonable money, IMO.
Figure in complete new filters for fuel and oil, maybe a good rebuilt or good used turbo, and a 500.00 pile of miscellaneous parts from all over the globe. Is your interior in good shape? Is the vehicle rust free? Wiring harness? Light lenses? Tailgate struts? Bumpers and trim? What are you going to do for tires and wheels? Suspension work? Ad nauseum, infiniitum, Fats Domino, Amen.:omg::lol:

You might give Ben at Kaplhenke a call and see if he has a list of mechanics around the area that he would trust. He runs Kaplhenke performance, a top notch vendor here on the forum. His parts and service are of a very high standard. Good luck with your massage of your chariot.

Local sources

Sent you a PM with some contacts both local to the DC/MD area and on this board. I'm also in a similar situation as you so I've been looking for parts sources and for shops that know their way around a 240. Hopefully it'll give you something to start with.

Restore is a pretty strong word for these cars.
repair or renovate (a building, work of art, vehicle, etc.) so as to return it to its original condition:

IE:

To be made as new.

How about renovate for further use?

Much of what these cars need now is NLA or hard to find, so do it while you still can.

:x:

From what I can tell in your post you are looking to refurbish the car with some selected performance updates? That is a great way to go with these cars. There are some really nice folks on this board that live in VA/MD, DC area that can help you with that kind of thing.

First Step - Examine suspension attachment points for signs of rust, underneath vehicle, and within vehicle (removing flooring)

This, especially for us with early cars. Not just rust, but the wiring, all of it. Start with the fuel pump wiring, you'll save yourself a lot of heartache.

It doesn't take very long to end up north of $10,000.00 USD in to one of these darn things.
Very much this, if you don't already have a good specimen, you will consume a lot of parts cars or spend a small fortune in ForSale and Facebook.
Figure in complete new filters for fuel and oil, maybe a good rebuilt or good used turbo, and a 500.00 pile of miscellaneous parts from all over the globe. Is your interior in good shape?

$500? Doesn't go well with your initial $10k statement :lol:

Much of what these cars need now is NLA or hard to find, so do it while you still can.

:x:

All of this, hence: Acquire parts cars, strip parts, sell some, crush the rest, profit, fuel parts hoarding.

Suspension is worth upgrading when it needs replacing. Strut top mounts are worth upgrading to metal bearing mounts as new rubber ones are rubbish.

The best thing is to go through everything and list out any areas that need work or will need work. Start with the list and consider the upgrades from there.

I would also do a google image search for insperation for the end result look you are wanting

Put a frame underneath, along with LS1/LS9: www.55Buick.com

FrameNumber.jpg

Back