• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cheap Wheel Ideas for Slicks

bartman

Looking forward to track days soon and was curious who has any thoughts on some cheapie steelies that would fit my 240. I plan to purchase the biggest street style slicks that will fit. Ideas ?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Track days or Drag Days? Two completely different things...

And really you want 15" alloys as they are much lighter for drag slicks

I'd get some Method 15x8-9s for track days, stick with the cheapest, widest wheel for drag slicks.

I got 8 inch wide M/T drag slicks on 7 inch wide 15 inch aftermarket aluminum wheels. Hard to find a stock aluminum 7 inch wide 15 inch wheel. I think the only ones are the 780 bertone wheels. 9 inch wide drag slicks don't fit on a 240 too well, but might with a big hammer or just the right offset.

I got 8 inch wide M/T drag slicks on 7 inch wide 15 inch aftermarket aluminum wheels. Hard to find a stock aluminum 7 inch wide 15 inch wheel. I think the only ones are the 780 bertone wheels. 9 inch wide drag slicks don't fit on a 240 too well, but might with a big hammer or just the right offset.

Bmw wheels are cheap and easy to adapt. 15x7 and 15x8 available for next to nothing.

Diamond Racing are cheap and you can spec out diameter, width, offset, and bolt pattern to suit whatever you've got. The SC series wheels are like $70 a piece or something.

I hear they don't make good street wheels but for a dedicated drag set I think they'd be cheap and functional.

Call em up and ask for a quote on some 15x8 or 15x10 with -12 offset and a 5x108 bolt pattern

In the same boat. Just started pricing out a multi purpose semi-slick or DOT legal road slick. 15x8 seems to have the most options for tires, but finding steelie 15s with adequate brake clearance is a giant pita.

A better idea than running slicks would be a sportsman pro. I've been running them for years. They are a drag slick compound, wrinkle wall design but with full tread. Cheater slicks aren't fun if you get so much as a sprinkle of rain.

I had some used Hoosier Cantilever 23.5"x10" designed to fit on a 6" rim. I think they were made for a Miata? I had an issue with them hitting the upper shock bolt at standard ride height but we're ok with it lowered after some wheel well hammering before I lifted it back up and ruined the sidewalls.

Back