• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

exhaust system 1980 240

Hello, I am replacing the exhaust system on my 1980 240 wagon. I live in California and
need to ensure that it will pass emissions. Any advice on where to buy parts and what type of
catalytic converter to get to be California legal would be greatly appreciated!!

MagnaFlow 447204 universal cat. I got mine for $70 a while ago. It's Cali CARB compliant, 2" in and out, has a 5 year/50k mile warranty, made of stainless steel, and has decent sized cells for good flow. You will need to cut out the old and weld in the new though.

^ That's not an approved cat for an '80 Volvo. It doesn't have the correct CARB EO #.

According to Magnaflow, these are the only 2 that are compliant.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=332812

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=332304

IPD sells a sport exhaust kit that's essentially the 240 turbo parts with a piece of pipe to connect it to the cat. The parts can be purchased separately from other online suppliers for less but then you have to make your own connecting pipe.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5608/102804-sport-exhaust-for-non-turbo-models

Last edited:
If you don't mind waiting for shipping from overseas. Skandix sells a Simons Sport exhaust system that is very well made and has a nice flow increase without noise. Goes over the axle instead of the restricting bend below the axle.

The reason California insists on the correct EO # on the cat is that the wrong size cats were being installed by exhaust shops and they were either too big and didn't get up to temp or too small and didn't last costing the consumer more than it should and polluting the environment. I doubt it will hurt your car but the smog tech won't let it fly if he sees it and they're supposed to check.

The reason California insists on the correct EO # on the cat is that the wrong size cats were being installed by exhaust shops and they were either too big and didn't get up to temp or too small and didn't last costing the consumer more than it should and polluting the environment. I doubt it will hurt your car but the smog tech won't let it fly if he sees it and they're supposed to check.

So technically, I might still be okay until next year when I'll have to smog it and possibly replace the cat. The new cat looked almost identical to the one that disintegrated, unless the internal sizing is different.

And that's the problem. The physical size is not what matters. One core design may be more or less efficient than another so just changing the converter for one of a similar size may not be optimal. That's not to say it won't function, it just may not last as long or work as well as one of the correct size.

The most affordable online direct fit converters I've bought were Magnaflow on Summit Racing. Of course mine were 49 state but they probably have a fair deal for the country of Ca.

Great! Thanks for the info everyone! I'm going with the IPD performance kit and the Magnaflow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters - CARB.
Just put in the order, hopefully get the parts before the weekend. I'll post again on how it goes.

Late response here, had a few ignition and fuel system issues I had to sort out. Just got the wagon smogged, all CA legal! If I were to buy another 240 I would probably get one that is already smogged in this state, some strict regulations here, but happy I got it through! Thanks again for all the advice!

One other thing. When I replaced the downpipe from the exhaust manifold it didn't have the 2" piping port that connects the ducting to the air intake box. Right now I just have that old pice of ducting hanging out next to the manifold unattached. Can I just delete this entire piece and cap off the air intake box somehow?

Back