• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 242. Hi-Comp n/a build

diponyou

300+ Member
300+ Club
Well I just got this from Jeff because I needed something to put my b23 in.

Right now the plans are to throw my hi-comp b23 in it and get the suspension and chassis nice and stiff.

I was originally going to throw the b23 in my 93 but I have tossed around the idea of a hicomp n/a 242 for a little while now and I think it is time.

The goal is to do this somewhat on a budget, I know everyone says that so we will see how that goes.

As far as the drivetrain goes here is the plan:

-b23 block, stock internals just resealed
-either the stock 398 or 530 head milled .040 with some mild port work
-k cam
-not sure what I want to do for fueling yet, carbs would be nice and easy, ITBs would be cool, or a b21f manifold adapted for modern injection(this is looking like the most appealing plan)
-I will build a header and most likely a 2 1/2" exhaust
-megasquirt for engine management, just something basic ms1 or2. I might even consider lh2.4...
-m46 with an upgraded clutch of some sort

As far as suspension goes
-short strut coilovers using the DIY kit from kaphlenke and saab inserts
-I will probably build my own strut braces, boxed control arms/a-arms etc
-ipd sways which it currently has

I am sure plans will change as time goes on but I am going to stick to the same basic concept.

Heres a few pics of the pos

I know its rough in the pics but the interior has been cleaned out already. I still need to get some decent seats and a carpet. The panels and everything else is pretty decent.

The goal is to have it mostly in running shape before it gets too hot.

I bet that was a bargain, parts alone are worth the car x2. Did he come to his senses once he got the subaru? lol

Last edited:
Haha I know.
I think the worst part is un****ing all the ghetto wiring that was done to this thing. Ill probably have the motor out tomorrow night. Ill try and get some of the harness situated as well.
Its difficult having two projects lol. My 93 should be ready to go sometime next weekend. Waiting on some parts in the mail.

Haha I know.
I think the worst part is un****ing all the ghetto wiring that was done to this thing. Ill probably have the motor out tomorrow night. Ill try and get some of the harness situated as well.
Its difficult having two projects lol. My 93 should be ready to go sometime next weekend. Waiting on some parts in the mail.

I have no right to call that a turd though lol you've seen my 78

Lol I know man.
One positive thing about this car is that its dry as a bone.
Its really not that bad of shape. The pics make it look worse. Its already been cleaned up considerably since those pics were taken.

Its getting plastidipped brown as well .

This car is horrible LOL. Can't wait to see it run again.

haha yeah its seen better days

I was going over it today and its not as bad as I originally thought. The body is pretty damn good besides the fender/bumper.

The engine harness and a few sketchy things inside are the only wiring issues I saw, everything else seems pretty solid.

I really need to just get this thing apart so I can start with a fresh canvas

I am going to head to a few junkyards this week to see if I can find any interior bits that I could use.

You should shave it even more!! LH2.4 can handle it just fine. I shaved .070" of my head that is on my '83 B23F motor with flat top pistons. I used one of our MLS .027" headgaskets and the SCR is right at 12:1. It runs great, but I do with I could have some control over the ignition timing. I have tried a couple different cams, and have a 4-2-1 header on it with 2.5" exhaust. It is a hoot. I had to use a Ford Pinto timing belt, which is exactly the same shape as the volvo one, but has 1 less tooth.

Back