• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

5 speeed

black 940

I know this has been discussed, but can someone advise me on a direct swap in 5 speed trans. I would prefer not to do many modifications this is for a '93 945 turbo. Is an M46 going to work? If it does will the flywheel have the crank sensor ring to pick up the sensor.

The M46 is a 4-speed + overdrive, but it would work. You need to replace the cross-member and the driving shaft. There's the M47 that is a true 5-speed, although reputed to be a little weaker.

For flywheel questions, wait until someone else picks up...

You need the manual flywheel that matches your EFI - ie if that is Bosch LH 2.4, then you need a 2.4 manual flywheel.

The hole count on the new flywheel should match what the car has now.

you have LH2.4. Start hitting up the classifieds, post an ad in the want ads section, the guys on here are pretty damn good about getting you what you need in a short period of time. Usually a matter of hours! Go with the M46, get the proper driveshaft and crossmember, and get the electronics for the overdrive as well, if you want to skip the electronics then just get the M47 and its corresponding driveshaft. The flywheel will be the same LH2.4 version no matter which transmission you use.

Do a search I see them for sale especially in for sale. You could also do a post in wanted if you don't feel like going to the JY.

A few more questions. I have found several 5 spd 240s, I am assuming I will need a trans from a 740 as well as the drive shaft from a 740 or is there a 240 year etc. to look out for? What year 740 would I look for?

5 speed Transmission will work. m47 true 5 speed. m46 4 speed with overdrive you will see the switch on shifter for the overdrive.

A drive shaft from a 240 may not work for you I guess it depends on how much you want fab or have fabbed. I would grab one because its the correct kind of shaft. The career barring may not end up in the correct spot. Grab a couple of guibo's while your at it.

I just shortened the front side shaft out of a 700 series wagon to use in my 240 with a m47 5 speed.

Hi

You will need a 700 or 900 series M46/47 because the shifter is different to the 240 version the boxes are the same

You will also need a
LH 2.4 flywheel
manual pedal box and fluid lines and bits and peices from under the dash
the right 700/900 series tailsharft to suit the box you are running
and crossmember to suit

George

Back