• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 How many bulbs are in the intrument panel of a 1987 240??

How many bulbs are in the intrument panel of a 1987 240?

Doing general maintenance and noticed my dash lights are all out except the lower row of indicators like parking brake. So I'm planning on switching everything to LED to make them brighter and efficient, so I'd like to know how many bulbs need to be replaced.

Pull the cluster and count? DO NOT switch the battery indication light to LED. I'd keep that a regular bulb. It may screw with your charging system.

I would just keep the small bulbs all bulbs. The cluster illumination would be the only one I'd change.

With the small led bulbs like the 37 and 74 replacements I have had very poor service life. Some burn out right away. Others after just a few months. The larger led replacements like for the illumination in the cluster a 168 have worked well for me and brightened up the cluster a lot in my 82.

I would just keep the small bulbs all bulbs. The cluster illumination would be the only one I'd change.

With the small led bulbs like the 37 and 74 replacements I have had very poor service life. Some burn out right away. Others after just a few months. The larger led replacements like for the illumination in the cluster a 168 have worked well for me and brightened up the cluster a lot in my 82.

So just the clusters should be led? In reality, I just want the clusters to be lit so i don't have to have the dome on at all times in the dark. And do 168 led bulbs fit in the 74 connection or would I need compatible ones?

T5
And
t10
50 t5 for $7https://m.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-T5-Wedge-5050-1SMD-White-Dashboard-LED-Light-Bulb-Lamp-74-17-18-37-70-2721/122414505273?hash=item1c80791d39:g:dUEAAOSwzgBY03VF:sc:USPSFirstClass!27517!US!-1

20 t10 multi smd $7
https://m.ebay.com/itm/20x-Cool-white-T10-Wedge-5-SMD-5050-LED-W5W-194-168-2825-192-Interior-light-Bulb/301173630650?epid=1353957712&hash=item461f58e6ba:g:UVgAAOSwjk9ZXK3g

So 14 bucks and do 8-10 cars

I went with green

Please take note that lots of the SMD and LED lights have the wires that make connection wrap all the way around the end of the base that's fine on some cars but not fine in a Volvo were positive is one side and negative is the other so I trim the excess so positive is on one side and ground is on the other also when putting in the lights
Unlike halogen bulbs SM D's require certain polarity so if a ball doesn't work one way pull it out rotate it and put it back in

buy some on eBay they are cheap as heck
When I bought led then later smd (better output)I think I spent 10 cars or more
I replaced every single Bulb and at least three 740 is including the ones in the receivers and all the switch illumination bulbs even the climate control and still have a bag full of SMD bulbs
Sadly they do not last as long in my experience as the halogen bulbs so I've gotten good at replacing them also super cold weather can cause them to be faulty occasionally

Last edited:
So just the clusters should be led? In reality, I just want the clusters to be lit so i don't have to have the dome on at all times in the dark. And do 168 led bulbs fit in the 74 connection or would I need compatible ones?

There are like a million different numbers on bulbs
Every maker wants to be different but all you need is t5 and t10

I've still never found one to replace the tiny twist lock bulbs in OEM radios though in my car I soldered in a 740 switch panel bulb holder and put In an smd
Also get a flat and for dome light

It's like the sun ☀️

There are like a million different numbers on bulbs
Every maker wants to be different but all you need is t5 and t10

I've still never found one to replace the tiny twist lock bulbs in OEM radios though in my car I soldered in a 740 switch panel bulb holder and put In an smd
Also get a flat and for dome light

It's like the sun ☀️

Yeah I now know that it's basically T5 and T10 now. But I'm wondering if a T10 would work in a T5 socket or if it's too wide. And I have already swapped out the dome and trunk lights to LED, I love the light and color difference.

The 168 bulb is the cluster illumination for my 82. I think they used it up till 88. It is a replaceable bulb in a socket. Yes, just do the illumination and leave the rest of the cluster as bulbs. This has worked well in my turbo where the light guide inside the cluster got darker as it aged. The led 168 replacement helped a lot. All the small bulbs and the turn signal indicator are bright enough and last a long time.

In my 93 wagon I tried small led bulbs in the center section and for the switch lighting. The leds didn't last and I ended up using 74 long life bulbs as the led bulbs croaked and got replaced.

The 168 bulb is the cluster illumination for my 82. I think they used it up till 88. It is a replaceable bulb in a socket. Yes, just do the illumination and leave the rest of the cluster as bulbs. This has worked well in my turbo where the light guide inside the cluster got darker as it aged. The led 168 replacement helped a lot. All the small bulbs and the turn signal indicator are bright enough and last a long time.

In my 93 wagon I tried small led bulbs in the center section and for the switch lighting. The leds didn't last and I ended up using 74 long life bulbs as the led bulbs croaked and got replaced.

Would the cluster illumination be the two bigger sockets at the top of the assembly? I pulled those out and tried pulling out the bulb, only to find that they're one piece and broke the bulb. But they do look like the 168 type bulbs. If so, I'll have to buy both a set of leds and twist sockets.

yes, you are in the correct spot. I guess a few years newer and they attached the bulbs to the sockets. In my 82 the bulbs pull out and can be changed for the cluster illumination. I know for the 89-93 you are dealing with a halogen bulb that is attached to the socket. the socket is slightly smaller too. Try getting some bulb sockets from an 85 or earlier. That is the mechanical speedo cluster and I know you can change the bulbs in those for sure.

That moment when even led bulb itself can't even fit in the cluster. It kinda sucks, but oh well. I'll try modifying the led and twist lock to see if i can make them work. If not, I'll just order 2 of those B8 bulbs carver mentioned. But, is it possible to open up the hole on the cluster itself or is that too extreme?

You guys are driving with your clusters too bright man. Dim that ish.

Now... having some lights that can actually illuminate my control stack. That would be nice.

My favorite thing they ever did in aviation was when they went to a "dark cockpit" concept. So when I was flying everything was totally dark unless something was on fire.

Not being on fire... those were the days. Then I bought a Volvo.

For Better Or For Worse?

Word to that, too bright interferes with my night vision, especially the hot blue tinted LED stuff.

I even put something in front of the green OD indicator light on a long night drive so it's not shining at me.

YMMV.

:e-shrug:

I just want to actually see my cluster when I drive at night. And now that I swapped my dome light to led, i want the cluster to match it. I already have everything on the cluster dimmed down.

Back