Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.tbforums.com/index.php)
-   maintenance & nonperformance (https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Strut Bearing Failing? (https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=308014)

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 05:25 PM

Strut Bearing Failing?

Mods please move to maintenance and non performance.
1993 244, 140,000 miles.

I've developed this low speed clunky vibration over bumps from the front end of my car. It's noticeable on the left side. Upon jacking it up, all control arm bushings seem in-tact and without play. I tightened the crossmember bolts very tight as well. Ball joints were replaced a year or so ago, but with cheap parts so I'm not sure on the quality. I know I need a passenger side outer tie rod as well.

While in the air if i hit the 12 o'clock position on the tire it makes a vibrating noise similar to the one I hear on bumps. If I compress the spring by hand and hit the tire, the noise almost goes away. Is this a sign of a failing strut bearing? The right side of the car made no noise when I hit the tire.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TbZiUBoA7Bs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 07:01 PM

Don't wheel bearings rarely fail in the front on these?

brickyard92 04-05-2015 07:11 PM

Check your brake pads to see if the spring retainer is on.Sometime its the brake pads rattling.

towerymt 04-05-2015 07:11 PM

Strut gland nut tight?

If you pop the cap off the strut mount and wedge your finger between the nut and the opening in the strut mount, then bounce your weight on the fender, you might be able to feel movement of the nut indicating either it's loose or the bearing has play. Just a thought, I've done that with camber plates when trying to identify an audible clunk. Sometimes I've found the nut to be slightly loose...mark nut & shaft with a felt tip pen and blip the nut tight with an impact and see if the line moves.

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towerymt (Post 5142711)
Strut gland nut tight?

If you pop the cap off the strut mount and wedge your finger between the nut and the opening in the strut mount, then bounce your weight on the fender, you might be able to feel movement of the nut indicating either it's loose or the bearing has play. Just a thought, I've done that with camber plates when trying to identify an audible clunk. Sometimes I've found the nut to be slightly loose...mark nut & shaft with a felt tip pen and blip the nut tight with an impact and see if the line moves.

Before I made this thread I ran the gland nut down with an impact. It did move a little bit but that's normal with 300+ ft/lbs I assume. The noise still persists even after tightening that nut.

cleanflametrap 04-05-2015 07:43 PM

Strictly by listening to your video I would pop the cap off of the spindle, not the strut mount, pull the cotter pin and give the spindle nut a right hand turn.

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleanflametrap (Post 5142723)
Strictly by listening to your video I would pop the cap off of the spindle, not the strut mount, pull the cotter pin and give the spindle nut a right hand turn.

I plead ignorance:oops:

Are you saying pull the wheel off, pop the cap off that exposes the nut where the wheel bearing is, and tighten it down?

smokeyfan1000 04-05-2015 08:02 PM

wheel brg either failed or needs adjusting I suspect.

When is the last time the wheel brgs were removed, cleaned and repacked with grease?..............

Never?

Josh 04-05-2015 08:32 PM

Sounds like a loose wheel bearing.

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 (Post 5142732)
wheel brg either failed or needs adjusting I suspect.

When is the last time the wheel brgs were removed, cleaned and repacked with grease?..............

Never?

Not since I've owned the car at least. If I go as far as pulling the hearing would it be smarter to just replace it? I can pack the bearing though.

mopar318 04-05-2015 09:08 PM

Sounds like the shock is loose inside of the strut tube.

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 09:23 PM

It might also be worth noting that there's a clunk while turning at a dead stop in either direction (play in the steering wheel) but i believe the outer tie rod is to blame for that.

centason 04-05-2015 10:19 PM

There may be play in your upper strut area. Just enough to allow play between the shock nut and the upper spring seat. Like your upper strut assembly may be tight, but there is still play. Take the nut off, add a few washers, and then tighten everything back up.

towerymt 04-05-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 (Post 5142715)
Before I made this thread I ran the gland nut down with an impact. It did move a little bit but that's normal with 300+ ft/lbs I assume. The noise still persists even after tightening that nut.

That's not the gland nut.

What holds the strut insert in the tube is the gland nut.

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towerymt (Post 5142799)

Wait..how do you know what Nut I'm talking about? I popped the cap off the nut (by the rubber strut mounts..?) and tightened that nut. That ones not the gland nut?

centason 04-05-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towerymt (Post 5142799)

This. If the top nut is still loose on top of your strut mount, that's your issue like I said. There's play there, it's going to clunk going over even a small bump. That split second that shock and spring unloads, clunk.

PromiseRing 04-05-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centason (Post 5142810)
This. If the top nut is still loose on top of your strut mount, that's your issue like I said. There's play there, it's going to clunk going over even a small bump. That split second that shock and spring unloads, clunk.

The top one under the cap is the one I ran down with the impact. I thought that was the gland nut.

centason 04-05-2015 11:05 PM

No. That nut keeps the whole upper assembly together, and if there is a little play, when the whole spring and shock unload, it will clunk. Try adding a few washer and see if that takes up the play.

PromiseRing 04-06-2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centason (Post 5142816)
No. That nut keeps the whole upper assembly together, and if there is a little play, when the whole spring and shock unload, it will clunk. Try adding a few washer and see if that takes up the play.

Add wAsher's under the top nut? Will do. But what's a gland nut?

smokeyfan1000 04-06-2015 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 (Post 5142749)
Not since I've owned the car at least. If I go as far as pulling the hearing would it be smarter to just replace it? I can pack the bearing though.

If you replace the TWO bearings per frt wheels, you also need to replace the race for each bearing.

Just how much natural mechanical skills do you possess? Because installing the races STRAIGHT in the hubs , with out damaging the races.... may be above your skill level (judging by how you've never done a wheel brg replacement)

PromiseRing 04-06-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 (Post 5142864)
If you replace the TWO bearings per frt wheels, you also need to replace the race for each bearing.

Just how much natural mechanical skills do you possess? Because installing the races STRAIGHT in the hubs , with out damaging the races.... may be above your skill level (judging by how you've never done a wheel brg replacement)

I don't want to replace anything that I don't KNOW is bad..so I'll see if I can't tighten the gland nut (once I figure out what it is) and shim up the top nut.

I have the skill to replace the bearing, I believe. I'd just need to read up on it.

towerymt 04-06-2015 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 (Post 5142809)
Wait..how do you know what Nut I'm talking about? I popped the cap off the nut (by the rubber strut mounts..?) and tightened that nut. That ones not the gland nut?

Because the strut gland nut is not tightened with an impact. Special tool, pipe wrench, channel locks, etc. But not impact.

PromiseRing 04-06-2015 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towerymt (Post 5142877)
Because the strut gland nut is not tightened with an impact. Special tool, pipe wrench, channel locks, etc. But not impact.

Yeah I finally realized that after I found out what it was.. I will tighten it tomorrow if I get the chance. It needs to be tightened with the vehicles full weight on the ground, correct?

Urvanej 04-06-2015 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 (Post 5142880)
...It needs to be tightened with the vehicles full weight on the ground, correct?

You can get there better but you get higher torque with spring slightly compressed when the strut is not under spring pressure.
Anyway my bet is wheel bearing.

cbevis 04-06-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 (Post 5142700)
Don't wheel bearings rarely fail in the front on these?

I've lost two...