• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Oil light on with car turned off?

EivlEvo

Crew, wandered out to my 93 245 this morning and my oil light was on? Car started fine but noticed I didn't get ANY oil light during the startup light check. Car drove fine. Oil level is fine. When I shut it down, the oil light was off.

What's up?

Time to check the alternator and oil light wiring. I've had alternator wiring issues with my 93. The teflon wiring gets brittle then cracks and splits open shorting wiring together. Especially where it goes through the alternator bracket to come out at the back of the alternator.

Time to check the alternator and oil light wiring. I've had alternator wiring issues with my 93. The teflon wiring gets brittle then cracks and splits open shorting wiring together. Especially where it goes through the alternator bracket to come out at the back of the alternator.

This is what I was thinking... and that alternator grounding strap was one of the reasons my first Volvo lit itself on fire!

I did just drive home in some extremely heavy rains, and I don't have the undertray on my car (never had one... never even seen one lol) and thought maybe the water splashes had messed with it somehow?

It drove fine and the light never came back on.

But NOW... I don't get the oil light during the startup check at all...

Oh... I said all of this already... that's what I get for forgetting what info I had when I posted that lol.

My 93 caught on fire, too. I was able to disconnect the battery. Since then I've put a battery switch in. Mine was more like welding and melting down the cable rather than outright fire. Lots of smoke of course. It took out a good section of the run toward going under the crank. So I replaced the whole damn cable with a 6 gauge one I made at work.

I left the pictures big because it should make a big impression to keep an eye on your old wiring.

Attachments

• DSCF1309.jpg
    DSCF1309.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF1311.jpg
    DSCF1311.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 42
That's not aimed at anyone in particular. I just felt like it was good time to show the carnage that can happen. It can be worse like losing the car. I was very fortunate in that nothing was flaming so when the battery was disconnected it was over.

Yep... that was my thing too.

Now I just ride with a fire extinguisher in all my cars.

Back