• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 lithium battery

sloopy

2-digit whp
I picked up a braille g30 lithium battery from summit. 5.5 lbs!!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-g30

For now, I just removed the battery tray and used cam buckle straps to hold the battery down. I'll be making a proper sheet metal tray lined with foam which bolts in place of the original battery tray. Nothing terribly wrong with how it is right now except that I'm using some folded up paper towels to protect the straps from the metal edges. The cam buckle straps are manufactured by fasty of sweden :eek:)

https://i.imgur.com/J2twB4C.jpg

Teeny tiny! I've been using a more conventional 11.5 AGM Braille battery in my 245 for a while. Probably not ideal for extended cranking if you have starting issues, but I've had no issue. Probably also helps that I don't drive it in the winter (because they salt the roads here). Works entirely normally, with the 16V redblock before and the 16V whiteblock (alu LS heh) motor it has now.

EDIT: The 11.5 lb one I've been using: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-b14115

Last edited:
the-17-best-hater-memes-of-2019-4589946-9-ce5fca3462024f699e73717485c8185e.jpg

Did you save up for this or did you buy it with Biden bucks, or are you independently wealthy?

The normal TB method is to blow your money on a +t and an HF angle grinder, what kind of world do we live in with $500 batteries in $600 volvos (sorry $599)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/61DcZpBhoqo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've certainly done that on 3 of my 5 cars. And it's only a matter of time for 1 of the other 2. Maybe both.

I see it is 1/3 of the weight, but any other reason you decided to splurge for lithium instead of, say a pc680?

I have had pc680 in my dd all winter with zero issues

I see it is 1/3 of the weight, but any other reason you decided to splurge for lithium instead of, say a pc680?

I have had pc680 in my dd all winter with zero issues

Expected service life is 10 years.

You can actually use over 90% of the capacity, still output 13.3V, and it won't damage the battery.

So even though the battery is rated as 15AH, the usable charge capacity is comparable to a 45AH lead acid battery. So only a small downgrade compared to the standard 60 or 70AH lead acids.

Also, output is about 13.8V at full charge. So stronger starting and the windows roll up faster with the engine off (very important)

First thing this is TB, you overpaid by going with a Braile battery. They are re-badged Deka batteries most of the time. Braille has a tendency to "up-rate" them by using a different testing procedure.

Dakota Lithium has a LiFePo battery with similar specs for about half the price.
There are a lot of YTX20 and YTX30 lithium batteries out there, they range in price from ~$200-300. Cheaper if you don't want any sort of warranty. As long as you don't puncture a cell or be an idiot with it, the cheap ones should be fine.

To all you LiPo haters, you can get a LiFePo battery now and they are extremely safe

First thing this is TB, you overpaid by going with a Braile battery. They are re-badged Deka batteries most of the time. Braille has a tendency to "up-rate" them by using a different testing procedure.

Dakota Lithium has a LiFePo battery with similar specs for about half the price.
There are a lot of YTX20 and YTX30 lithium batteries out there, they range in price from ~$200-300. Cheaper if you don't want any sort of warranty. As long as you don't puncture a cell or be an idiot with it, the cheap ones should be fine.

To all you LiPo haters, you can get a LiFePo battery now and they are extremely safe

As far as I know, only braille's agm batteries are re-badged. Their lithium batteries are made in house in florida. I'd be curious to know who they're getting their lithium cells from.

Good to know about the much cheaper option though.

Well sheeeeeit. *googles*

Looks like the next time I need a Braille B14115 I'll be getting a Deka EXT14 instead. Same damn thing, ~$85 vs. $150.

*sigh*

As far as I know, only braille's agm batteries are re-badged. Their lithium batteries are made in house in florida. I'd be curious to know who they're getting their lithium cells from.

Good to know about the much cheaper option though.

I'm 99% certain they're just badge engineering LiPo batteries from China through a contract manufacture that everyone else uses. There are very few actual battery manufactures and assemblers in the US. Even less so with "small" batteries.

The Braille Micro-Lite carbon fiber cased Li batteries are "built by a Braille Factory Technician in the USA", using "hand selected" cells.

Upside: You paid extra for a real warranty from a real company!

Back