• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Muffler Exhaust Repair Cement

UsmcScott

My axle pipe busted off my muffler (rust). I just want to use one of those little 3 inch adapters to put the two back together (no welding). Has anyone had any success with muffler repair kit glues or cements ? What brand ?

The repair kits are OK for a hole, not for when a pipe actually rusted through and splitted.

Time to replace the exhaust.

-- Kane

I used one of those patches on my girls civic. I used it with an extra clamp in the middle for extra security. Its been on there for about 5 months now and still holding. I can't remember the brand though.

Thanks guys, I can get the pipe to stick in the muffler with the adapter. I can wire it to the muffler to prevent it from ever blowing off, but I would like a good cement that will seal it too.

It will not last forever. They do a decent job though.
I used one on the downpipe of the diesel for about three weeks, until I could get the cash and parts together to replace it. Its better than having an exhaust hole and the associated noises and stinks in the cabin, but it wasn't as good as the fixed downpipe is now. It still made a bit of extra noise, and it is very hard to walk the fine line between "not clamped enough to stay on" and "overtightened and crushed the rusty pipe".

It works fine until it gets wet. The best success I have had [when I have needed it] is to put it one then put a water proof barrier on the outside [read: aluminum can with hose clamps].

- John

RTV Silicone High Heat

The perfect solution.. I have used this for patching mufflers, wood stove ... $1.99 cheap!!

Specially fomulated for high temperature applications to 700?F (370?C).

* Safe for all car models
* Won't foul computer sensors
* Resists high pressures to 5,000 PSI
* Stands up to oil, antifreeze, grease, and transmission fluids
* Remains flexible when dry
* Resists shrinking and cracking

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90026

Larger holes

For larger holes, I used metal sheathing applied gasket goo with couple three metal screws.

Last edited:
Back