• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Lucifer

DurableSwedish

Hunting for a turbo
300+ Club
I've been meaning on starting a project thread for a long time.
First off, Why did I name my car Lucifer? There are a few reasons which culminated into it's name:
#1: K-jet is evil:
k-jetdevil.jpg

#2: Every time anyone turns a wrench or works on this car they end up bleeding and cutting their hands or face or someplace on the car ends up with blood on it.
#3: in the bible, Lucifer was the most beautiful angel until his falling out with God, but he continues to persevere to rise again as the most powerful creation. Similar to my car, it was fully loaded with dealer installed intercooler and lots of other options. After 20+ years of neglect the car needs a lot of work to get back to it's former glory, but with my time and resources the car will end up better then when it left the factory
0-60.jpg

I bought this car on October 14 2004. I had just moved here from Virginia to start College in Pullman, WA in august and was tired of bumming rides everywhere. 3 months was all I could take with no car. I searched craigslist for a nice cheap 240 turbo. I found this one in non-running condition for $400.

IMG_1136sized.jpg

My VW trained uncle worked his k-jet magic and got the car running for me enough to drive it from Seattle to Pullman without incident. I bombed around in it for a couple months until a failed fuel distributor grounded the car until I could find another one. Drive it for another couple months until the in tank fuel pump died.
car.jpg

I drove the car to a Volvo meet at the V-shop in Portland and back to meet some Volvo people and hopefully sell my car. Luckily the guy flaked out and I dove back to Pullman.

That same year I my grandparents wanted to go on a road trip, so they flew over to VA where my old car (1986 244DL) was and drove it back to Pullman for me so I could have a nicer reliable car to drive around.
IMG_0703.jpg

I was trying really hard to sell my 244 to get money to pay bills so I drove it back to Portland for a potential owner and the in-tank fuel pump died and I had to stay at evansargent's house for a couple days while we figured out what was wrong with the car.
DSC00024.jpg

For some reason the car died and left me stranded in Tacoma so here it is on a trailer getting taken to another idiot shop:
PNWmeet06073.jpg

Here is another picture of it dying in 245GT-Turbo's driveway due to the oil return line seals going out and losing over a quart of oil in less then a mile on my way back 300 miles to Pullman from Seattle
IMG_3068.jpg

I really like this car, I got the turbo glowing pretty well after an 18psi 140mph midnight run with some friends on backroads in rural washington. I say 140mph because my speedometer was pointing at the H in "MPH" at 6000rpm in 5th gear on a extremely long stretch of road.
springbreak05029.jpg

At some point the car was having issues running so I replaced the wiring harness with a low mileage Volvo updated harness and replaced all the upper end gaskets and replaced the head with a lower mileage one with no missing or stripped exhaust studs. I didn’t really know what I was doing so the car sat for 3 years while I finished college in non-running condition (because I missed plugging in the wire that went to the fuel system resistor).

Jan08snow.jpg

It sat in this driveway for 2 years.

I graduated college and finished up my lease then moved to Volvo Mecca, Portland OR. Now that I was in a real city that had more than 3 repair shops in it (only one of the ones in Pullman would even work on my “import”) I got some advice and someone at work figured out the unplugged wire and the car has run well ever since.
I’ve had the car for a long time, but I keep getting distracted by school and bills and joining the military and more work and getting married, etc.

IMG_0870.jpg

Lucifer sat here for 6 months while I was in boot camp/training school

I’m finally in a stable enough job that I can get started on my project. I have big plans for this car, as long as I don’t get distracted with other cars or too many bills I hope to get this car put together and start becoming what I’ve envisioned it to be very soon.

0326101839.jpg

Lucifer currently resides at HM-Motorsports in Beaverton, seen giving life to fivedoorfury's wagon.

Here’s what I have to install on the car:
CaptainBondo SS exhaust header
DVS Group-A trunk spoiler
Haltech E6X
Complete EFI swap from K-jet
Yoshifab Phenolic intake manifold spacers
Low mileage 530 efi head that needs rsi stage III headwork done to it still
2 10” 700watt rms JBL sub woofers in custom upper shelf box powered by 1500watt alpine amp
Mp3/satellite stereo deck TBD
Roll of dynamat for the interior
Crack free black dash out of 92 240

Installed on the car:
Front ipd springs with 1 coil cut off, rear IPD lowering springs
IPD turbo cam
Old style ipd adjustable cam gear
VDO 25psi boost gauge
Low mileage T3 off of a 86 740 (after the 18psi I was running burned out the bearings and seals on my original 1982 turbo) @12psi
non a/c power steering setup, all a/c hardware was removed for 50lbs+ of wires, mounts, compressors, condensers, hoses, relays, fans and hoses
IPD 25/25 sway bars
Cherry turbo’s upper and lower chassis braces
The rest of the interior conversion from ripped brown leather to brown cloth out of an 86
AEM UGO wideband O2 gauge
Perin MBC

Here’s an inspirational photo that I’m forming my build around:
mantpc036.jpg

I’ve got a lot of work to do on the car still, but it will be lots of fun to drive when I get the stuff I have laying around installed. I plan on getting the car sorted out enough to do Auto-x to start out and work my way up to a couple track days.
lucifersig.jpg

Weight reduction Total Post

Last edited:
it would be unwise to name this car after the enemy, whose name is blotted out from the books of Heaven forever and ever.

Also, knowing fully the utter defeat of the devil........ reconsider!!!! :lol:

All it needs is a cheap cat welded on it to pass. I wanted to get a TLAO exhaust, but thats $500 that needs to go elsewhere for christmas, etc. I've got a stock 240t cat/dp that just needs to be put on to the current exhaust somehow.

taken a couple days ago:
1105101622_01.jpg

Christmas spending burnt me out, but I got a stock 240T downpipe with cat that will be going on soon, then drive it to DEQ and try and get some plates on it. Shooting for January/Febuary for plates.

Update: Changed the oil for once, the car has been sitting for a while so the oil was very old and worn out. Put in 5 quarts of Royal Purple 10w30 syn with OEM Volvo oil filter and a can of BG MOA oil detergent.

While it was up in the air we noticed that the outer tie rods were garbage, the boots were missing off them and the spindle had almost come out of the right side. Planning on getting an alignment done to it this afternoon. We also put on a factory catalytic converter and discovered that a previous owner put 2.5" exhaust on it instead of the 2.25 that came on it from the factory.

edit: Just got a front end alignment. Drives much better now! Next up, trip permit and driving it to DEQ!

Last edited:
Awesome Butters! I love the pic of our cars with the jumper cables. It reminds me of drunk buddies trying to stumble home. "Done wurry man I gatchuh I gat cha..":lol:

Back