• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M46 Rear Seal Replacement - Retaining Nut Size?

DStarratt

I have an 82 242 and a leak at the rear of it's overdrive. I'm going to replace the s al. Looks like an easy enough job. I'd like to have all the tools and parts onhand. Does anyone know the size of the flange retaining nut? I want to make sure I have the right socket in advance.

Also, the Haynes manual says to put "locking compound" on the output shaft splines. Does anyone know what they mean by locking compound?

Let me know if you have any other tips for this job.

Thanks.

Thanks! Any tips for holding the flange steady while breaking that retainer nut loose? The nut is on there very tight and i keep turning the flange with the nut, even with the car in gear.

I just blast the nut off with an air gun, but I get the impression you don't have access to one.

This is the Volvo tool for holding flanges. You may also need a puller to get the flange off the tail shaft. Sometimes they come right off and sometimes they don't.

DiffFlangeCounterholdTool.jpg

No air tools here. That volvo tool looks cool but I don't see me getting one this weekend. I'll see what I can do with a pipe wrench. Thanks!

You can install 2 of the driveshaft bolts and nuts in adjacent holes in the flange and use a screwdriver or prybar wedged between the 2 bolts to keep the flange from moving by using the floor as stop.

Thanks! I looked for a spanner wrench but couldn't find one. I bought a fan clutch wrench at Northern Tool and it fit perfectly on the flange. It bolted onto two drive shaft bolts. It is nice and thin and it worked like a charm. Best $10 I ever spent. I recommend it for anyone doing this job without an impact wrench.

Back