• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 I hate you 240 wiper system

Be sure the cables are well lubed and the tension on the wrap isn't too tight but not too loose. It is a crappy way to have the wipers work. But if you keep it lubed you'll probably never have a problem.

Are they really that bad? I've never had a problem with 240 wiper linkage.

Are they really that bad? I've never had a problem with 240 wiper linkage.

To me they are more of a pain than the heater fan if you need to service it. Wrapping those cables around the cam can get very frustrating.

For service tools a small 8mm ratcheting box wrench and a small slotted screwdriver will help you tighten the nut on the end of the cable without twisting the cable and making it come off the moving slotted thing. You have to also remove enough dash stuff to get both hands in there.

It is also good to take off the wiper arms once in awhile and shoot some lube down the shaft. Something like Wurth HHS K will seep in there and leave grease where it is needed. Just be sure to use paper towels or rags so you don't get that stuff anywhere else.

To me they are more of a pain than the heater fan if you need to service it. Wrapping those cables around the cam can get very frustrating.

For service tools a small 8mm ratcheting box wrench and a small slotted screwdriver will help you tighten the nut on the end of the cable without twisting the cable and making it come off the moving slotted thing. You have to also remove enough dash stuff to get both hands in there.

It is also good to take off the wiper arms once in awhile and shoot some lube down the shaft. Something like Wurth HHS K will seep in there and leave grease where it is needed. Just be sure to use paper towels or rags so you don't get that stuff anywhere else.

You just scared me into giving them a squirt.

I bought the car with one of the cams broke off. Huge pain in the ass to put it together and working properly. I thought I had it solved now I have to do it all over

Rebuilt mine per cleanflametrap's tutorial with some JY dust /hat seals since they're NLA and the goose grease caused the cam to fall off of the post ... twice ... second time I had to accurately clean the splines and tap it back together with red loctite.

wipers6118.jpg

So far so good.

:x:

On my wagon a few years ago. I figured the cable came off on the right wiper. When I went to check it out. the whole cam thing for the cable had come off the wiper shaft. I pressed it back on but there was no way I wanted to trust it. Found one in the parts stash and its been ok since then.

Hey they fixed it with the 760/740.

On my wagon a few years ago. I figured the cable came off on the right wiper. When I went to check it out. the whole cam thing for the cable had come off the wiper shaft. I pressed it back on but there was no way I wanted to trust it. Found one in the parts stash and its been ok since then.

Hey they fixed it with the 760/740.

Had the same experience. Put the cam back on with blue Loctite.

I snug up the cables when get in there for any reason. No issues since (fingers crossed).

Back