• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Service Light Reset

eeaves42

In my 1990 740 the service light just turned on, not the check engine light. It says on for 2 mins and its off, my local Volvo repair shop said just remove the rubber plug near the speedometer, I did that. Yup nothing happend.

there is a push in below that plug in the dash put key on push it in and hold for a few secs it will go out

Also, you need to push it until it clicks in. It will stay on after you press it if you don't click it in all the way.

just be careful not to lose that plug into the cluster. Car doesnt have to be running, but it can be.

something just isnt right then. Try it with the car running I guess? I dont even know what turns the thing on, but that would be next.

It can never be easy, I like the idea of a service reminder light so I do not want to just remove the bulb. Quote by Volvo "Every 5,000 miles the ser-vice light will stay on for 2 mins on start up" end quote. I have googled it and some say there is a switch behind the cluster about where the 80 mph is. Yep there is no switch. What turns it on should be a ECU..... man I miss my 83 245 TIC... ecu??? **** that! We have K-Jet :)

yeah it comes on every 3500 or 5000 miles. I dont know exactly. It might be the cluster that turns it on, but probably the ECU.

My '87 740 has it behind the cluster at the top of the speedo. There is a counting mechanism up there that keeps track of the service miles. If you never reset it, it will eventually jam your odometer. Don't know about the newer clusters in the 90 though.

1990 doesn't use an electric button, nor does it care of the engine is on or off (though with the key on it's easier to see when the light goes off). It's gear-driven just like the trip meter, and resets the same way. Pull the rubber plug, get something pointy in there, and push. The first 1/16" or so takes up the slack, the next 1/4" (sometimes so stiff it feels like you'll break the cluster in half) does the resetting.

Back