Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.tbforums.com/index.php)
-   performance & modifications (https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Intermediate shaft has no gear : ( (https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=334201)

VolvoEmpire 07-10-2017 03:26 PM

Intermediate shaft has no gear : (
 
I was about to put my freshly resealed and cleaned b230ft into my 87 244 when I popped out the freeze plug to reveal that the intermediate shaft has no gearing in it.

Has anyone had any experience swapping these guys out? Is it a lot of trouble. I was going to try to finished with this swap by Thursday evening :-(:-(:-(

Also is there a diagram that I will help me to get the proper dizzy direction at tdc?

KeizerBrickGuy 07-10-2017 03:46 PM

Here's how to get it all in time, once you get the intermediate shaft installed. https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/B23...tAlignment.htm

CAPT_BLOTTO 07-10-2017 04:27 PM

I just did one on mine. You'll need one from a 240 obviously. It requires pulling the oil pump drive under pcv breather box. Also the distributor has a hard time going in on a block that never had one. I cleaned it up with some emery cloth and it went in. Set all your timing gears to TDC like when your putting on the timing belt and point the distributor just after where the #1 post on the cap would be. When you slide it in it will turn counter clockwise on the bevel gear to #1.

Thor 07-10-2017 06:27 PM

you wanna come over and rebuild my B230FT when you're done. it's been sitting on my stand for almost 18 months now looking pitiful.

PromiseRing 07-10-2017 06:35 PM

I have a 240 aux shaft for <strike>$65</strike> $55 shipped if you want it.

Stiggy Pop 07-10-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PromiseRing (Post 5638316)
I have a 240 aux shaft for <strike>$65</strike> $55 shipped if you want it.

problem solved

Thor 07-11-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop (Post 5638365)
problem solved

He'll probably just pull the one in his current motor and slip it into the other. Problem Solved

VB242 07-11-2017 12:58 PM

Make sure you use a gasket on the cover that holds the shaft in. Rtv won't work as the gasket gives the shaft thrust bearing enough clearance.

2manyturbos 07-11-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VB242 (Post 5638641)
Make sure you use a gasket on the cover that holds the shaft in. Rtv won't work as the gasket gives the shaft thrust bearing enough clearance.

Dude, you just completely blew his budget.

KeizerBrickGuy 07-11-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manyturbos (Post 5638644)
Dude, you just completely blew his budget.

:rofl:

James10952001 07-11-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VB242 (Post 5638641)
Make sure you use a gasket on the cover that holds the shaft in. Rtv won't work as the gasket gives the shaft thrust bearing enough clearance.

RTV shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a Volvo motor. I've spent at least a couple hours so far scraping and peeling RTV out of various parts of my B230FT. Last week I found it slathered all over and inside the fittings to the oil cooler thermostat housing so the hose was about 80% clogged up, best part is it wasn't even the fittings that were leaking.

Wren 07-12-2017 10:36 AM

Used properly, there's nothing wrong with RTV. If you apply it like you're icing a cake, that's another story.

2manyturbos 07-12-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wren (Post 5639161)
Used properly, there's nothing wrong with RTV. If you apply it like you're icing a cake, that's another story.

RTV is likely why my Volvo engines don't leak after I have worked on them. As Wren said, it is great stuff when properly used.

KeizerBrickGuy 07-12-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wren (Post 5639161)
Used properly, there's nothing wrong with RTV. If you apply it like you're icing a cake, that's another story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manyturbos (Post 5639297)
RTV is likely why my Volvo engines don't leak after I have worked on them. As Wren said, it is great stuff when properly used.

Truth be told here. I use RTV and anaerobic sealant sparingly, as a sort of "seasoning" for gaskets or joints that look questionable. It's supposed to be applied as a THIN film.

VolvoEmpire 07-13-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO (Post 5638238)
I just did one on mine. You'll need one from a 240 obviously. It requires pulling the oil pump drive under pcv breather box. Also the distributor has a hard time going in on a block that never had one. I cleaned it up with some emery cloth and it went in. Set all your timing gears to TDC like when your putting on the timing belt and point the distributor just after where the #1 post on the cap would be. When you slide it in it will turn counter clockwise on the bevel gear to #1.

You got it, just help me get this engine into the car.

James10952001 07-13-2017 01:00 PM

I use some stuff called Hylomar Blue, and use it very sparingly in a few specific places. Most people use way too much sealant and use it in places that don't need or want it. There *are* a few places on these motors that need sealant, but only a few.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.