• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another Road Trip

mikep

Vintage Ride
I am going to a wedding in Portland OR on July 11.

Instead of the usual whirlwind tour, I want to start slow, and end slow. Enjoy all the scenery, and hit as many parks and forests as possible. I'll be taking a bike.
I would greatly appreciate any couch that is offered, and I will not wear out my welcome.
I would also greatly appreciate any local knowledge of cool stuff in stop-over areas and along the way.

Tentative plans:
I will leave Delaware on July 3rd early, hang out in Pittsburgh a day. I have a couch lined up.
Most likely heading Northwest on the 4th, but if there's lots to do in Pittsburgh, I'll leave on the 5th.

Wisconsin people, we should hang out. I talked to buzz, he mentioned Travis (mrthou) might be more on the way. I'm flexible on meet locations.

Next is Montana, Kind of thinking about Kalispell. A not-quite-halfway point on a route that looks scenic is Circle, then on to Great Falls and across Flathead. But if there's nothing cool on the way I might power through or stop on the interstate for a nap. I would prefer to avoid staying on 94 and then 90, and Yellowstone never interested me. (open to suggestions, but I also have to watch my time)
THIS AREA IS TENTATIVE.
I wouldn't mind seeing something cool in North Dakota. I haven't searched yet.
Probably see Kaniksu, then wander up to Calgary.

I have couch space lined up in Calgary, going to see cars with Dale, see Banff (not sure if that will be on the way out, or a day trip), then west to Vancouver. Is there anyone still in Kamloops? I could stop anywhere in between, all of this is open and undecided so far.

Next is a slow crawl down the coast, starting at the House of Jerome, hopefully see JVAB a second time, visit the Cholewas, and see a wedding in Portland.

After the wedding on the 11th, I want to hit the inland forests, hook around Reno, and stop in Sacramento if possible. T-Bone and Doug are there, and I want to visit Kauer Guitars.

My brother is (so far) still in San Francisco, so I'll probably stop there. Eric and Russ said they can do a small road trip and meet somewhere north of them. I already did the coast road from Santa Monica to Oregon, so no need to do that unless I spend a week sometime.

Then Yosemite, *edit: NO Death Valley, might as well wander through Las Vegas. Staircase. Grand Canyon. Might have couch space in Prescott AZ.

I have a cousin who teaches in Albuquerque, but lost her contact info. Probably wander down to Dallas to see some friends who moved there, and my buddy Chun-Min is in Plano. I haven't seen him since the 2007 round-the-country trip.

No current plans after that. Maybe see Kenny again, and beg a ride in the wagon. Hit the Gulf again, but slower? St. Louis? Memphis? Who knows. Hit Me Up, Bruhs.

Last edited:
FYI, summer in Death Valley is nuts. They have in years past actually closed the roads from time to time, given the extreme heat. Usually cools down into the upper 90's at night, 110-120 during the day.

We'll still be around when you roll thru this way, Doug has our contact info as far as scheduling goes. :)

Staying at Alden's in Pitt?
*edit: no, staying at Jen's.
Jen is in The burgh also. I highly doubt i'll be in town, but if i am we might be able to go for a ride.
Yep, talked to Jen about a brewery and possible art/museums/whatever works. Thought about staying 2 nights, but I have to watch my time. She's off the 3rd and 4th. I know her pretty well from the past meets, so I feel like less of a burden to her, compared to someone I am just meeting.
If you two (and anyone else) have time monday night or any other time, let me know. It would be good to meet people.

FYI, summer in Death Valley is nuts. They have in years past actually closed the roads from time to time, given the extreme heat. Usually cools down into the upper 90's at night, 110-120 during the day.

We'll still be around when you roll thru this way, Doug has our contact info as far as scheduling goes. :)
Cool, I'll give you all a heads-up as I get down that way.

Good call on death valley. I hadn't gotten as far as thinking about temps.

Last edited:
Good call on death valley. I hadn't gotten as far as thinking about temps.

I was going to mention to you that you'd better make sure the wagon's AC is tip-top. The week I was in LV last year, it stayed 110 during the day and 95 at night. It's weird - as long as you're in the shade your body stays comfy/regulated extremely well, especially if there's a breeze, but there's not enough water in the world to counteract all that evaporation. Also, asthma hates that much heat.

If you'll be taking I 94 through Minneapolis/St Paul, give me a holler, I live about a mile off the highway.

I remember hearing the tales of my brothers trip thru DV in June. Only hit 123* on the valley floor when they went and neither of the trucks in their group had working AC. Thankfully they were much younger and no kids, but screw that anyway, even if it IS a dry heat.

"Next is Montana, Kind of thinking about Kalispell. A not-quite-halfway point on a route that looks scenic is Circle, then on to Great Falls and across Flathead. But if there's nothing cool on the way I might power through or stop on the interstate for a nap. I would prefer to avoid staying on 94 and then 90, and Yellowstone never interested me. (open to suggestions, but I also have to watch my time)
THIS AREA IS TENTATIVE."

If you decide on Montana, there are many good stops. East to West big stops are Custer's Last Stand then up through Glacier Park using "The Going to the Sun" highway as you transit Glacier then down to Whitefish/Columbia Falls/Kalispell on your way to Flathead lake. Lots of non-interstate options.

If you'll be taking I 94 through Minneapolis/St Paul, give me a holler, I live about a mile off the highway.
Cool, thanks. I'll send a PM.

If you decide on Montana, there are many good stops. East to West big stops are Custer's Last Stand then up through Glacier Park using "The Going to the Sun" highway as you transit Glacier then down to Whitefish/Columbia Falls/Kalispell on your way to Flathead lake. Lots of non-interstate options.
That's the plan. Glacier Park, Columbia Falls. Thanks.

*edit: no, staying at Jen's.

Yep, talked to Jen about a brewery and possible art/museums/whatever works. Thought about staying 2 nights, but I have to watch my time. She's off the 3rd and 4th. I know her pretty well from the past meets, so I feel like less of a burden to her, compared to someone I am just meeting.
If you two (and anyone else) have time monday night or any other time, let me know. It would be good to meet people.

Cool. Let us all know when you're coming through town. Dinner and beers for sure.

Always a bed in the hills of NC if you decide to kick around here at all.
Thank you. Not sure if I can get through there, but I already eyed the forests on the map.

Cool. Let us all know when you're coming through town. Dinner and beers for sure.
Cool. I just need to decide on one night or two.

PERFECT. I SEE A HANGOVER IN YOUR FUTURE.

THIS SHOULD BE A GOOD TIME!</a>
aaand I got a date to the wedding. (no homo) (maybe a little) (kidding/not kidding)

I'm kinda near death valley and Yosemite. I could drop in
duuude.. I'll PM you.

We have a spare bedroom that we will make available. Which day(s) might you be in the area?
Thanks, I'll see how much is between Pittsburgh and you. I also talked to Pinguin, he offered a couch in Minneapolis. I really want to see that area too.
I'll make some decisions this weekend, and start collecting cell numbers and addresses to go on the list and map.

Wife and I arrive into Bend OR on the 26th
Betting you might be gone by then though
dammit... Yep, I'll be back here by then.

Since you mention that you want to see forests.....

Depending upon your time in Wa, you should drive up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier.

That time of the year, you can make a loop of it rather than one way in/out. Go up HWY7 out of Spanaway and back down HWY123/HWY12 back to I5. Depending upon the weather there may still be some snow. You can have a snowball fight in July. Did that last year. I was up there a couple weekends ago and there is ~12' of snowpack.

The wildly twisty road is a bonus. You go from essentially sea level to 5400 ft in about an hour.

Back