• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Replaced starter

TWD

A quick thanks to all those who have posted about changing a starter in a 240; especially cleanflametrap's photo.

I just changed the starter on my '88 244 NA this afternoon. It took about 90 minutes, but would have taken much longer without the posts. Without the info here, I would have spent a lot of time just figuring out the tools that I would have needed.

Extensions and a good gun make for a fast pull.

picture.php

Extensions and a good gun make for a fast pull.

While have a gun, I was lucky and didn't need to use it. I did use a bunch of extensions though. I used 3/8"s for the top because of space limitations and 1/2"s for the bottom. I sprayed the exposed top threads with Kreen the day before.

I am debating whether to have my original starter rebuilt. There is a good rebuilder near me who will do it for less than $100. I would then have a spare. The original starter still spun, but the drive would kick out early. The flex plate looked fine with just a little shiny area on the outside edge of a few teeth.

When those bolts are really stuck, an impact gun with extensions is useless. All the energy is lost in the extensions. I've had those bolts take 200+ lb*ft of torque to break them loose. That was a 3' breaker bar winding up the extensions almost 90 degrees. When the bolts broke loose the extensions flew. I have had at least 3 cars require that much force to break at least one of those dang bolts loose.

When those bolts are really stuck, an impact gun with extensions is useless. All the energy is lost in the extensions. I've had those bolts take 200+ lb*ft of torque to break them loose. That was a 3' breaker bar winding up the extensions almost 90 degrees. When the bolts broke loose the extensions flew. I have had at least 3 cars require that much force to break at least one of those dang bolts loose.

Yeah I agree that long 3/8" extensions flex a LOT. I used the above gun with around 800 lbs of nut busting torque recently with long extensions on a 2001 BMW 330 Trans swap and all it really did was torque flex the extensions for a bit. I think I had to break em free with a bar and even then that's a great way to bust your face or knuckles.

Just don't over torque on the way back in to do your future self a favor.

Back