• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

EBC pads

hey guys need to replace my brake pads. I have a 240 wagon with lots of tools and a speaker system in the back and I do most of my driving in New york city, I was wondering if it would be worth it to use the red stuff,green or not even bother :zzz:
thanks

also I don't really care about brake dust, I guess in order of importance for me is stopping power, pad life, and no squeel. I don't mind if there is less braking power when they are cold but, I don't want to have to stand on the brakes either.

The green stuff ones provide great stopping improvement. Mine only last a bit over 20k miles but the performance improvement was worth it. I've not tried the yellow? which is the next level pad. Supposed to be a good street pad that lasts a bit longer. I've also used Porterfield R4S pads and they were great as well. You really can't go wrong with any of the major brand performance pads out there. That is if they make something for a Volvo 240.

EBC Yellow are excellent. Even the Red series are a very good daily pad.

I say go for it! You cannot have too much of a good thing in brakes. As the old saying goes: If speed kills, do brakes give life?

Any issues mixing pad types front to rear? I think the Hawk HP plus is only available for the front on 240's. Be nice to have more "bite."

Thx.

It was a very long time ago, but wouldn't touch EBC pads, period. There are some solid US based alternatives listed above, but I'll probably go full-race Ferodo next time I need something serious (because I'm not US based).

Very good comparison of the Hawk line up and mimics my impressions of the HPS pads on a daily. Which is equal to: I will never run HPS pads on a daily again as they are loud and dusty. HPS are too aggressive for the street.

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tests/1_hawk.jsp

The data:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/p...ompared-hawk-hps-hawk-hp-plus-ebc-yellowstuff

IMO the Yellows are a great performance daily IF IF you have great tires, otherwise they are overkill. Really you need dedicated summer tires to justify Yellows. Reds are a good realistic daily with very good AS tires.

Any of these matched with the Bosch QuietCast rotors have been a nice setup.

Tires>Pads, but when paired properly should put you through the window. ;)

I've never done the Greens....I've heard they're not that great....

I put EBC reds on my wife's Outback and they work well for a daily. They don't dust very bad. And there was no discernible for me difference between cold and warm.

I had EBC Yellows on my wife's Mini that I was daily-ing....they're awesome! I rocked them in the winter, and they work fine cold. Give them a touch of heat and they'll stop you very nicely. You'll turn your rotors blue before they fade... They dust about as bad as stock. Make sure you've got good tires to make use of the good pads....

I have reds in the TSX wagon. They are fine. Somewhat dusty. They fade on a normal drive down a steep hill over 2 miles at around 20-25 mph, but that may be an issue with undersized rotors on a car that large.

I just put a set of Green Stuff pads in my '67 1800s, which replace a set of Volvo OEM semi-metalic pads. I followed the 200-mile break-in procedure and now am enjoying 10-15% better braking. I would recommend them to anyone that is interested in trying them.

Been running the green's on my wagon with the Wilwood setup up front. Performance-wise they are great, but damn they are dusty. Normal driving, you'll start seeing dust after maybe 30 stops. After a week of normal commuting the wheels will be pretty covered with dust. After a month they will be black.

Put the greens on my 740. I like them, gave me good braking even with a loaded car and towing 1000 lbs across the USA. Very little dust

I have reds in the TSX wagon. They are fine. Somewhat dusty. They fade on a normal drive down a steep hill over 2 miles at around 20-25 mph, but that may be an issue with undersized rotors on a car that large.
This. Marketed as a race pad, but various road pads are better performers. Run of the mill ceramic pads do a decent job up to reasonably high temperatures, and don't do anything silly. If you're a traffic light racer, could be worth a look.

I put EBC yellow on my Fiesta ST for this summer and after one track weekend (https://youtu.be/BDfaR5M6P78?t=2m) I'm happy enough. The car is extra hard on brakes thanks to goofy ABS-based fake diff. If they faded, I couldn't tell through the boiling fluid as they always seemed to dig at the bottom, though I used what looks like about a third of them or more in front. They bite a little better with some heat, but they're fine cold to me. Notably quieter than my stock pads, especially after seeing high temps. Dust, couldn't say, I bought matte black wheels for a reason.

Last edited:
Back