Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   performance & modifications (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The 2019 East vs West Competition. (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=346853)

qwkswede 01-03-2019 02:06 PM

The 2019 East vs West Competition.
 
Rules: (nicked from http://www.turbobricks.com/evw.php)
Summary
The "east vs. west" shootout was created by Pat D. (tuff240) to help motivate the group by creating a friendly yet competitive event we could all participate in from our home towns. The goal is to lay down the fastest time you can and earn points for your side. Report the results of your efforts to improve your times and power output to hopefully grab bragging rights.
So far the results have been:

2018 - West(Volvo Power), West(Naturally Aspriated), East(Engine Swaps)
2017 - West(Volvo Power) East(Hybrid).
2016 - West(Volvo power) East(Hybrid). I will break the tie. Because of some really fast times the overall win goes to East!
2015 - West
2014 - ??
2013 - ??
2012 - ??
2011 - East
2010 - West ( I know broken board but at the time West was way ahead and East lacked submissions)
2009 - West
2008 - West
2007 - East
2006 - West
2005 - East
2004 - West
2003 - East

2018 Thread
2017 Thread
2016 Thread
2015 Thread
2012 Thread
2011 Thread
2010 Thread
2009 Thread
2008 Thread
2007 Thread
2006 Thread
2005 Thread
2004 Thread
2003 Thread

How The Competition Works:
Turbobricks members from each side (East Coast or West Coast) visit a track throughout the course of the year and record their fastest 1/4 mile time. Submit your 1/4 mile time to the contest admin. The idea is to work on your cars performance
throughout the year, returning to the track, grabbing more points, and updating your time.
The points scheme is like this:
0 - 9.99 = 100
10.00 - 10.99 = 90
11.00 - 11.99 = 80
12.00 - 12.99 = 70
13.00 - 13.99 = 60
14.00 - 14.99 = 50
15.00 - 15.99 = 40
16.00 - 16.99 = 30
17.00 - 17.99 = 20
18.00+ = 10 participation points, everyone gets a ribbon.

Each side is divided up into 3 classes of cars, Turbocharged, Normally Aspirated, or "Hybrid" - a non-Volvo powered Volvo. Essentially there are now 3 competitions running simultaneously per side. Each class is equally important since the final victory in that class holds 1/3
of your sides total wins.
At the end of each year all the points are tallied up for a final count in each vehicle class. The side with the majority of class wins is declared victorious and thus has the bragging rights for the next year.

The Split:
Please verify the side you are grouped in by state. The states are grouped as evenly as possible by member representation. The west gets Hawaii, the east gets Puerto Rico. If we have forgotten or over
looked any other represented US, Canadian, or Mexican governed land masses please let us know so we can assign it a side.
http://www.turbobricks.com/img/North_America.jpg
Countries outside of North America please send times. I can start tracking an international category if we get some participation.

Rules for Competitors:
  • Be mature, no cheating/bending rules, and no complaining. This is for fun. If you cheat, you're out.
  • Your time submission should include a photograph or video of your car and the score board reading your time. Also a time slip photo and or fellow member verification can be used if approved.
  • Any runs made must be in the current year.
  • 1 registered run per owner/vehicle combo, so send me the fastest run you have. That's the one I'll record. If you own 2 Volvos, I'd love to see the data collected for both.
  • If a vehicle is sold to either side, points remain until new owner beats the standing entry and the previous time and points are removed.
  • If a Driver moves sides, points remain until driver runs at new location and previous points are removed.
  • All runs must be made at an official timed 1/4 mile drag strip. Estimates from 1/8th mile tracks, self timing, or non sanctioned timing devices are not allowed.

How to Submit a Time
Submitting a time is as simple as dropping me a PM, or posting in this thread. Posting in this thread will not guarantee that I'll see your post, sometimes I'm busy and get behind reading. So follow with a PM too. If my PM box is full someone can surely email or catch me on facebook so that I can clean it out.

I will need the following things from you for a verified submission:
  • Board Username
  • Car Model
  • Brief (A paragraph or two) Description of your Vehicle
  • Location (East, West, or International) and Class (Turbo, N/A, or Hybrid)
  • A Scan of your timeslip, for verification purposes. Either circle your number on the slip, or (better!) include a photo of the car with the numbers on it.

So get wrenching and racing! I think we have some fast passes in the works this year. I know there are a couple running swap cars that didn't run last year.

---------------------------------- And without further ado, The Leaderboard -----------------------------

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13OZ2xBRaPEh77X7mzipLWwXIF1dNm2SJ-j9EKQmBQCs/pubhtml?widget=true&amp;headers=false"height="600" width="1000""></iframe>

qwkswede 01-03-2019 02:12 PM

Can a moderator sticky this one and let the 2018 thread start to slide....

This has been pretty healthy the last couple years. But I know we have more people with fast cars that should get out and do some drag racing. So let's get out there!

Also, Does anyone have any new ideas to bring to the competition? I was thinking some sort of Grudge race tracker? Maybe that could be a separate thread, that's not going to be East vs. West likely. I don't know if the trash talking and attitude go far enough for some heads up grudge races Volvo to Volvo at a track near you. But I'll set up a thread for callouts if it seems like a good idea. Money, no money. But done at a track preferrably.

Hell, I'll put a call out on some other Colorado Volvo cars just to get em out of the garage...

Harlard 01-03-2019 02:32 PM

Hellooooo there

linuxman51 01-03-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwkswede (Post 5900454)
Can a moderator sticky this one and let the 2018 thread start to slide....

This has been pretty healthy the last couple years. But I know we have more people with fast cars that should get out and do some drag racing. So let's get out there!

Also, Does anyone have any new ideas to bring to the competition? I was thinking some sort of Grudge race tracker? Maybe that could be a separate thread, that's not going to be East vs. West likely. I don't know if the trash talking and attitude go far enough for some heads up grudge races Volvo to Volvo at a track near you. But I'll set up a thread for callouts if it seems like a good idea. Money, no money. But done at a track preferrably.

Hell, I'll put a call out on some other Colorado Volvo cars just to get em out of the garage...

interesting... could be fun

MDVLN 01-03-2019 07:13 PM

Just so everyone knows -
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElHefe910 (Post 5314917)
Are newer Volvos allowed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwkswede (Post 5314924)
YES! Run what ya brung.


ElHefe910 01-04-2019 04:52 AM

I think it would be cool if each sides had a stock 240 or 2 same models and compete for the best time with only being able to do intake, exhaust, oem Volvo cams, weight reduction and tires. Kind of a long shot though because someone would have to spend money. I'll try to get out to a 1/4 mile this year though.

qwkswede 01-04-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElHefe910 (Post 5900871)
I think it would be cool if each sides had a stock 240 or 2 same models and compete for the best time with only being able to do intake, exhaust, oem Volvo cams, weight reduction and tires. Kind of a long shot though because someone would have to spend money. I'll try to get out to a 1/4 mile this year though.

That could work in the grudge race format for sure. I'm thinking about spinning up another thread for that.

A couple years ago I had a grudge race with LloydDobler here on the forum. Volvo 122 vs Volvo 122. We were both running about 20 second 1/4 mile passes at 60mph.
I'm sure it was like watching paint dry to the spectators. But we were having fun. It was set up totally off the forum at our annual drag strip get together in Denver.

ElHefe910 01-04-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwkswede (Post 5901118)
That could work in the grudge race format for sure. I'm thinking about spinning up another thread for that.

A couple years ago I had a grudge race with LloydDobler here on the forum. Volvo 122 vs Volvo 122. We were both running about 20 second 1/4 mile passes at 60mph.
I'm sure it was like watching paint dry to the spectators. But we were having fun. It was set up totally off the forum at our annual drag strip get together in Denver.

Yeah I think the creativity behind trying to get the best time out of a NA 240 or something like that would be interesting.

klr142 02-22-2019 03:10 PM

Maybe I'll get a car to the track this year.

I did a 17.7 or 17.8 1987 244 DL AT with no real mods(advanced ignition timing, changed valve clearances, retarded the camshaft, cold air instead of preheat). It was fun and I went a little faster by swapping in the T cam for ultimate DD status.

Harlard 02-22-2019 03:23 PM

Kyle, I'm gonna need you to race my 242.

gsellstr 02-22-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlard (Post 5920090)
Kyle, I'm gonna need you to race my 242.

You pushing? I'm gonna say 8 minutes.

klr142 02-24-2019 04:44 PM

Lol

swedish-rocket 03-24-2019 12:45 AM

http://i66.tinypic.com/73f4op.jpg

Swedish-Rocket
East Side
1990 Volvo 240 DL B230FT E85

Turbo IPD Cam, AW72L with 3300 stall, T3/4 turbo (new for 2019), 340 LPH Pump, LH2.4 chipped.

qwkswede 03-24-2019 12:54 PM

Nice start! First one on the board for 2019. I guess the racing season is here. Get out there and go racing!

Nothing in Colorado until mid April. But I'm ready.

klr142 04-13-2019 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took NLMGG out for a beating at the track(car in signature's link). Not fully prepared but ran the thing anyway. 12 runs in an hour and a half... Tried to get some Volvo’s out there but Harlard and everyone else sucks.

WEST COAST BEST COAST NON-TURBO TIME(car 224C):
2.209 60’:
10.492 1/8 at 64.46mph
16.532 1/4 at 81.92mph

Lower times later this year if I get enough time to play with it!

qwkswede 04-13-2019 11:44 AM

Nice! What track do you guys go to in Oregon?

And give me the quick one line car description...

Harlard 04-13-2019 12:49 PM

I was at home nursing my legs from being out of shape at the gym. I have a stock 88 245 and a stock P2 V70 with coolant and oil leaks. Hard pass for me over the next month or two.

qwkswede 04-13-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlard (Post 5938259)
I was at home nursing my legs from being out of shape at the gym. I have a stock 88 245 and a stock P2 V70 with coolant and oil leaks. Hard pass for me over the next month or two.

Geeez. So many excuses. Or maybe you are the ultimate sand bagging hustler. That stock 245 probably runs 12s.

DNAsEqUeNcE 04-13-2019 01:19 PM

as long as it's "Volvo" powered ya? as in, came in a volvo of any engine variant?

gsellstr 04-13-2019 01:58 PM

Hopefully we can get a few folks together in a couple weekends and up the ante for the best coast. Track is open until 4:30 on 4/27, and it's at sea level, plus we have good E85 in town, so....yeah...bring it!

qwkswede 04-13-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE (Post 5938270)
as long as it's "Volvo" powered ya? as in, came in a volvo of any engine variant?

Ya. Sure. Run it. Tell me what you did. thanks

swedish-rocket 04-14-2019 08:05 AM

Need more East side guys to post times. I don’t think my car is going to get another 10 more points this year.

soclosenotnear 04-14-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedish-rocket (Post 5938493)
Need more East side guys to post times. I don’t think my car is going to get another 10 more points this year.

I'm really going to try and make something happen, even if it's just courtesy points for playing. I've got a good hour + ride to the closest quarter mile track, so there's that. My m47 is bound to explode first run down the track after abuse on the street all the time.

No prorating for an eighth mile time?

klr142 04-15-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwkswede (Post 5938229)
Nice! What track do you guys go to in Oregon?

And give me the quick one line car description...

There's Woodburn dragstrip but I go to Portland International Raceway where they have Friday and Saturday night drags until 9-10pm depending on how many people show up.

1991 244, very mild port 530 head shaved 0.032", 0.036" headgasket, M47, 3.73 rear end, custom LH/EZK chips, H cam, opened airbox, full exhaust including header(unnecessary and not helping at this power level) and 17" wheels with 225/45 DWS 06 tires. So, however you want to turn that into one line... :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlard (Post 5938259)
I was at home nursing my legs from being out of shape at the gym. I have a stock 88 245 and a stock P2 V70 with coolant and oil leaks. Hard pass for me over the next month or two.

Racing a stock car is better than racing no car, always. Why is the V70 leaking coolant and oil? It wasn't leaking when you got it...

qwkswede 04-15-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klr142 (Post 5938927)
There's Woodburn dragstrip but I go to Portland International Raceway where they have Friday and Saturday night drags until 9-10pm depending on how many people show up.

1991 244, very mild port 530 head shaved 0.032", 0.036" headgasket, M47, 3.73 rear end, custom LH/EZK chips, H cam, opened airbox, full exhaust including header(unnecessary and not helping at this power level) and 17" wheels with 225/45 DWS 06 tires. So, however you want to turn that into one line... :rofl:

Racing a stock car is better than racing no car, always. Why is the V70 leaking coolant and oil? It wasn't leaking when you got it...

That's a pretty good running non-turbo Volvo. Good work friend.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.