• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

cat converter delete?

chris gilmour

if i cut the cat out and replace with just a pipe, will the car work the same and not though a CEL? just wondering where the O2 sensor is right in it.

I was planning to build new exhaust for it with OEM mufflers and just leave out the cat. and put the O2 sensor in one of the blocked off bungs right before the cat.

Assuming a 240 yes. That said there is no reason whatsoever for you to not run a catalytic converter.

Given the choice of muffler and no cat, or cat and no muffler, I choose cat and no muffler. But I really want both, because I like driving long distances and hearing music, passengers, etc.

I bashed out the innard of my car and noticed no difference in sound/power. I think it may have stunk a little bit though. You may be able to sell it for $20 as well.

car is a '91 245 with a lh2.4 (its been a long day i forgot)

main reason for wanting to by pass the cat is simply money is a bit tight at the moment, but my exhaust is hanging in by a thread. so i figure two new mufflers and the pipe in between will fix it up. the pipe from the header to the first muffler (with cat built in) is pretty rusty. so i figure if i just use a piece of pipe to join the first muffler to the header, i can have solid exhaust system again. but with out forking out another 150+ for a cat.

main reason for wanting to by pass the cat is simply money is a bit tight at the moment, but my exhaust is hanging in by a thread. so i figure two new mufflers and the pipe in between will fix it up. the pipe from the header to the first muffler (with cat built in) is pretty rusty. so i figure if i just use a piece of pipe to join the first muffler to the header, i can have solid exhaust system again. but with out forking out another 150+ for a cat.

Idk your rules, but places do a visual inspection here and if they don't see a cat (or at least the cat housing, they don't know what's inside..) they will fail it. YMMV

Rmoving the cat will have no affect on how your car runs and no CEL.

theres no worries with that. My father has been the service manager for the local mercedes dealer for 16 years. and with the age of the car, getting an inspection is no problem.

So if i weld in a straight pipe and use an existing bung, all will still be good. question answered. thanks guys aha

Given the choice of muffler and no cat, or cat and no muffler, I choose cat and no muffler. But I really want both, because I like driving long distances and hearing music, passengers, etc.

There is no reason to delete the cat on a street car, and it acts as a muffler too.

Replace the cat. Skip one of the 2 mufflers and replace the cat. There's a reason they are on there, and the rest of the world wants you to keep it on there.

sorry for the ignorance, but what does a cat do? i come from a diesel vw back ground, and Ive always used straight pipes on all my cars (no mufflers or cats). I guess what I'm asking is why does the world want me to have a cat? what happens with out one?

Somebody posting about it does not constitute proof. There are plenty of articles around doing the tests. Even on a ****box tier stock automatic wagon one will be hard pressed to tell a difference unless the unit is clogged.

Somebody posting about it does not constitute proof. There are plenty of articles around doing the tests. Even on a ****box tier stock automatic wagon one will be hard pressed to tell a difference unless the unit is clogged.

Thanks for your comment. Please provide links to these articles if you can.

Of course a Cat restricts HP! Don't be silly.

Turbos work best with zero restrictions behind them. Even NA cars perform better w/o kittys and mufflers.

Now the factors are:
1. Is it legal?
2. Social concern or not.

Other than that, do whatever you want. I agree that a NA Volvo will see minimal change though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjaK5n86IjY
-13HP

Of course a Cat restricts HP! Don't be silly.

Turbos work best with zero restrictions behind them. Even NA cars perform better w/o kittys and mufflers.

Now the factors are:
1. Is it legal?
2. Social concern or not.

Other than that, do whatever you want. I agree that a NA Volvo will see minimal change though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjaK5n86IjY
-13HP

stupid you can get race cats for like $80
drive without one for a while and your car will stink to ****...

Idk what the deal is but carbed cars dont sell all that bad when running right

a EFI without a cat fuking stinks

OP there are threads about the end of the world. Everything on the internet is true

:lol:

Didn't the cat kind of kill off the muscle car thing back in 1972?

Is it possible that the fuel injection on a b230 can't be "tuned" like a carb can? Maybe the stock FI cannot modify itself to the new airflow at the oomph degree?

I put D&D silencers onto my triumph and the bike rode worse until a pro tuned the carbs which made a considerable improvement over the stock pipes.

This stuff is all Greek to me so excuse my rambling.

Last edited:
Back