Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.tbforums.com/index.php)
-   maintenance & nonperformance (https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Splash pan...worth it? (https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=67204)

shutterlug 03-31-2006 12:11 AM

Splash pan...worth it?

Does anyone have any experience with the splash pan ipd sells? Is it worth it? Good investment? Waste of time and money?

Josh

stylngle2003 03-31-2006 12:46 AM

splash pan, or aluminum sump guard?

the splash pan is very beneficial...keeps your belts dry and the front oft he engine nice and clean

volvogeek 03-31-2006 02:02 AM

They're good for keeping the alternator nice and dry when you play the Puddle Game(tm).

*puddle game - finding the deepest spot of a puddle and driving through it at speed to see how big of a splash you can make without hydroplaning into oncoming traffic

stylngle2003 03-31-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvogeek
They're good for keeping the alternator nice and dry when you play the Puddle Game(tm).

*puddle game - finding the deepest spot of a puddle and driving through it at speed to see how big of a splash you can make without hydroplaning into oncoming traffic

you win when the lights flicker and the belts squeal

karmaticlove 03-31-2006 08:48 AM

^^^^^ classic ^^^^^ :-)

karmaticlove 03-31-2006 08:48 AM

The IpDs are super aesthetic, seem to be very nice quality... if I had a couple of buck to burn... one would be on my car ASAP.

However, I bought an ABS plastic one that has been on my car for 3 years... no problems... in fact, I agree, it keeps everything nice and tidy & dry.

It not only protects the belts but the lower steering knuckle too.

taskmule 03-31-2006 12:30 PM

splash pan?

And the pan catches sockets and bolts that you drop during playtime...:lol:

tjts1 03-31-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taskmule
And the pan catches sockets and bolts that you drop during playtime...:lol:

Yeah... good luck getting them out of there without droping the pan.

boostdemon 03-31-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1

us 4cyl people dont have any problems lol

ovlov760 03-31-2006 04:41 PM

I can usually just reach down into the engine bay and retrieve my tools.

The splash pan is also suppose to help the aerodynamics of the car.

taskmule 03-31-2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1

I have very good luck just reaching down and picking them up, thanks. That's one of the reasons the pan is there. Yup.

oldschoolvolvo 02-28-2014 03:45 PM

Pardon the old thread bump...but does anyone know the size of the bolts for the splash pan? I am putting one on my 240 and all the bolts have gone missing.

Redwood Chair 02-28-2014 03:47 PM

6x1x 25 or better, don't forget the fender washers...

Kjets On a Plane 02-28-2014 03:57 PM

6x1.25 if jimbo didn't impact drive a sheetmetal screw in there that has now rusted and fubared everything. :rant:

The OE plastic one seals a lot better than the IPD around the rack boots and generally. If you can find a good condition metal early one and block off the vents, you are basically set (profile of the plastic one, but made of steel).

vxracer 02-28-2014 05:54 PM

I'm probably gonna have to drop the dough on an ipd s90 splash shield. Pick n pull has 0 7xx or 9xx series ones. I got lucky on my 244 and got 1 there. I could tell it was under at high rates of speed. On this s90 I think its more of a cooling airflow through the radiator effect. My electric fan comes on quite a bit and its not even hot yet. Yikes!

fortbrick 02-28-2014 06:15 PM

I went from cleaning the engine bay 4-5 times a year to just once a year after I added mine.

Kjets On a Plane 02-28-2014 06:26 PM

Makes a big difference in airflow, how long the belts and accessory bearings and timing idler bearing lasts. Abrasives and corrosives being flung all around doesn't do anyone any good. Anyone have the joy of taking an engine out of an 84 and earlier 240 because the York clutch sticks on and the York rattles so bad trying to compress old nasty refrigerant that it shears all 4 mounting studs off in the block? Easier to keep dirt out of the bearing, and tension the belt right...

This said it shouldn't be night and day for how often the fan runs, I'd keep looking if it isn't very warm out. 960 has 2 coolant sensors and they do go bad, maybe a bubble or a seeping hg or something. Clogged up rad, sheared water pump impeller or shot water pump bearing, or radiator full of dirt are all common enough. Happy hunting!

The cheapie plastic ones aren't that terrible as may be more viable than a used one.

ellist 02-28-2014 07:14 PM

A splash pan is worth it. The difference they make on the condition of the engine bay is immediate. Your altenator will last longer too. Buy one, bolt it up and enjoy the positive impacts.

volvorod85 02-28-2014 11:03 PM

I keep em on cause if I go through a puddle or it rains you loose the alternator and power steering in a redblock car

Z33_Taxi 02-28-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellist (Post 4840657)
A splash pan is worth it. The difference they make on the condition of the engine bay is immediate. Your alternator will last longer too. Buy one, bolt it up and enjoy the positive impacts.

I'm dealing with that issue currently. Volvo champ is all this snow, but I feel my alternator took all the pain.

Mr. V 02-28-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Pretty easy to do when you use your Magic Wand.

http://azind.com/wp-content/uploads/...-retriever.jpg

ellist 03-01-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi (Post 4840837)
I'm dealing with that issue currently. Volvo champ is all this snow, but I feel my alternator took all the pain.

Yeah I learned my lesson on the 2nd 240 I ever owned. I went through several alternators before figuring it out. The kick up from the road also put a lot of wear and tear on the wires that run from the alternator to the driver's side of the car.
Even if you get an inexpensive one like this, http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4279...#axzz2ugHC0hNN , you'll be doing yourself a service. The price is so low that you may find it worth while to snag one of these new ones instead of salvaging one. I bought one of those URO brands years ago and it has held up great. Very thick. A pain to line up. I wound up cutting slots for the holes so I could shift it around for fit. I also bought my own bolts/washers for mounting. Went with a nice wide washer and a length about 5mm shorter than what is usually sold as "belly pan mounting bolts".

brian smith 03-01-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwood Chair (Post 4840485)
6x1x 25 or better, don't forget the fender washers...

This is the right size, the 6 x 1.25 recommendation is bunk.
My practice was to install studs for the rear 3 locations, slightly filing the slots in the pan for easy insertion, then using M6x1 stainless bolts for the front locations. One hand locates the pan on the 3 studs, the other threads a front bolt or two in, less chance of cross-threading a relatively fine-thread fastener.

Fender washers recommendation seconded, and I used stainless lockwashers as well.

Soon I'll be wearing a belt and suspenders...

MSCDirect.com for the stainless 6x1 threaded rod and "heavy" nuts to make your own long studs for the rear locations. Works "a treat."

Z33_Taxi 03-01-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellist (Post 4840887)
Yeah I learned my lesson on the 2nd 240 I ever owned. I went through several alternators before figuring it out. The kick up from the road also put a lot of wear and tear on the wires that run from the alternator to the driver's side of the car.
Even if you get an inexpensive one like this, http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4279...#axzz2ugHC0hNN , you'll be doing yourself a service. The price is so low that you may find it worth while to snag one of these new ones instead of salvaging one. I bought one of those URO brands years ago and it has held up great. Very thick. A pain to line up. I wound up cutting slots for the holes so I could shift it around for fit. I also bought my own bolts/washers for mounting. Went with a nice wide washer and a length about 5mm shorter than what is usually sold as "belly pan mounting bolts".

I'll most likely try my local PnP. If I come up empty handed I'll just get the IPD one

edit: I wonder if it would be beneficial to hit a cheap plastic one with some bedliner to toughen it up. I'm sure the the right hardware it would hold

TestPoint 03-01-2014 09:23 PM

The RockAuto ABS shields are dirt cheap but the shipping will kill you.