• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'83 245 wagon Canadian Carb b21a exhaust

Eviltwin

I need to buy a new exhaust for this Car
I'm seeing that typically the USA market got b23's.

My question is...can u order the same exhausts meant for a b23 and expect it to fit?

I'm specifically looking at the Starla 27141 kit.

I have that exact exhaust on my girlfriend's b21 carbed '78 Canadian 244. It's an automatic car, though I don't know whether there's a difference.

M.

It's a 3 speed automatic.

They show different muffler setups...12 and 13 are different, just like 18 and 19 are different

Those notes have to be clicked on when it applies to a part number. Canadian vehicles had a twitched muffler system.

Capture_zpsozs04fmf.png

Thanks for this info.
I'm having a heck of a time sourcing these parts via fcpeuro and similar sites.

Can anyone confirm if the starla 3514976 would fit, and if it's just a matter of plugging the o2 bung so be it.

Have everything on hold now not sure as to which exhaust kit to order all together now.
The b21 is headache to source the most basic parts

thoughts?

$83 shipping? :wtf:

The question is does the car have a cat. I have never seen a 240 without one, but when there is one, it bolts to the back of the headpipe.

That diagram above with the two types of muffler and axle pipe, the difference is that one goes over the axle and the other goes under it.

Is that diagram for a Canadian car? It looks like it has a super-long headpipe that goes all the way to the front muffler.

The B21As didn't have a cat. My car is an 84 that was originally B21A...and it had no cat. The pipe goes from the bottom of the header pipe all the way to the first muffler. It's not a long single piece though, there is a coupler there. It's where the catalytic converter would go if it was efi'd.

Thing is, all the canadian companies use US catalogs. It's hell trying to get parts for cars up here, when they never had them in the states.

Best option is to get whatever you can get for a B230 245 and make it fit.

^^^^^exactly this.

I may simply just go and entirely different direction...if parts are going to be a witch hunt just to get this rolling I may just expedite the engine swap as opposed to stage zero'ing...

...if parts are going to be a witch hunt.

A B23F engine fits like a B230F in a 93-944, but I think I used the B230F exhaust header on the B23F engine.

My B23F exhaust header is different, but it may be due to previous owner "chopping" on it at its end.

On a 93-245, from end of header to first muffler/silencer, it is a straight path. A muffler shop that has thicker pipe can put a flare on it to match header's flare, if this is the case for your engine's header.

Look at later Volvos with B230F engines...similar setup/hangers?

Another option, look at a 1976 240. The early B21F cars didn't have cats in either Canada or the states, EXCEPT for California. Partly because the 1976 Canadian 240's were 49 state cars. So, that'd be what I'd look for. Yes, you'd wind up using the over axle pipe and early front muffler, but, IIRC, the starla kits lately have been coming with the early front muffler and over axle pipe anyway, at least for B21A/E/F cars through 1982ish.

-J

thanks fellas, I appreciate the input and suggestions.

After some thought and penciling in some costs, there's no sense in getting the B21a up and running with new parts that are going to cost me more than I had anticipated.
I'll be yanking out the engine/trans over the next coupe of weeks and prep for a donor engine and visit the good folks over at Sts machining.

Back