Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   maintenance & nonperformance (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How to replace front emblem decal on 1984 Volvo? (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=357420)

Frank_Rizzo 10-18-2020 10:39 PM

How to replace front emblem decal on 1984 Volvo?

Recently I purchased a replacement emblem, 70mm. It's just a sticky decal. How do I get this thing inside the casing on the grille? I assume you'd have to somehow open the casing, scrape off the disintegrated original emblem and stick the new one on, and re-assemble it?

How do you do this exactly? I can't find anything on the internet.

Murploid1 10-18-2020 10:47 PM

I recently also purchased a replacement emblem for my grill. My car is an 82 and I (stupidly) didn’t measure it- 70mm is too big. So, had to order a replacement smaller badge ugh...

Anyhow, I used a trim tool and a pick to pry the old emblem out, it’s glued in place. Persist and it will come out. I plan on using some sort of flexible adhesive to secure it. Just clean all the old adhesive out. Mine is prepped and ready to be glued when it arrives. I was going to use double sided tape but this will not allow it to sit flush.

Frank_Rizzo 10-18-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murploid1 (Post 6122360)
I recently also purchased a replacement emblem for my grill. My car is an 82 and I (stupidly) didnít measure it- 70mm is too big. So, had to order a replacement smaller badge ugh...

Anyhow, I used a trim tool and a pick to pry the old emblem out, itís glued in place. Persist and it will come out. I plan on using some sort of flexible adhesive to secure it. Just clean all the old adhesive out. Mine is prepped and ready to be glued when it arrives. I was going to use double sided tape but this will not allow it to sit flush.

Wait, I think mine was 65mm, I must have misspoken. 70mm is for 1986-1993, I believe.

Anyway, that gets at the crux of the issue. Exactly how did you get the old emblem out in the first place? It's encased in a space covered by acrylic in the front, metal in the back, affixed to the grille.

Redwood Chair 10-18-2020 10:54 PM

Wipe the old rondel with acetone or lacquer thinner let it dry, and put the new one right on top of the original.

white855T 10-18-2020 10:55 PM

The emblem is not glued in place. The emblem is applied with double sided tape. If you are using a genuine Volvo emblem, you must use double sided tape. Do no use adhesive, it will ruin the emblem(ask me how I know). If you are using a decal it can be applied over the original emblem.

Murploid1 10-19-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo (Post 6122361)
Wait, I think mine was 65mm, I must have misspoken. 70mm is for 1986-1993, I believe.

Anyway, that gets at the crux of the issue. Exactly how did you get the old emblem out in the first place? It's encased in a space covered by acrylic in the front, metal in the back, affixed to the grille.

Like I said use a trim tool, pick, or small flat head screwdriver to pry it up, work it and it pops out.

White855t is correct regarding adhesive if you have a genuine emblem - they have foil paper on the back. Looks like I will be buying some thinner double sided tape..

TestPoint 10-19-2020 10:17 AM

My acrylic cover is in bad shape from a couple hundred thou miles of road sandblasting and rock chips.
Pretty obvious that it cannot be polished out like a headlight lens.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Under cover would certainly seem to be a preferred solution and I might try to pry the old plastic and cut and polish a replacement

Maybe Dave Barton will comment.

dbarton 10-23-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestPoint (Post 6122461)
Maybe Dave Barton will comment.

A photo of this thing the OP bought would be useful.
Dave B