• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dan's 142... b20, Holset.

dhallilama

Edit: things change. Going for less hood rat, more booost... Update on pg.4...

have had very little free time lately, and most of that was spent working on the house. managed to squeeze a wee bit of work into the 142, though...

5" x 8" 500lb/in springs in the front... put the front springs -1 coil, with 240 spring cups in the back. 1" front anti-sway, urethane sway bushes. nylon (don't expect them to last) upper control arm bushes.
DSC05066.jpg

junkyard 240 14" steelies and beauty rings... sandblasted the wheels and shot with SEM urethane... quick polish of the beauty rings. they're junkyard 185/70/14s, too. they'll work for a little while.

pulled the bumpers off and tossed 'em on a shelf. rebuilt all the calipers. got a smokin' deal on closeout rebuild kits... grand total of $16. flushed and pressure bled the brakes with ATE blue fluid.

massaged the grill back into shape, shot it with some SEM urethane spray paint that was laying around the shop.
DSC05065.jpg

mid 80s audi quattro sport seats were dirt cheap at the u-pull-it. welded up some quick brackets, done deal.
DSC05061.jpg

wire brushed out what little rust was on the floor, and painted with 'POR-7.5'... about half as good as POR-15... rustoleum hammer finish...

also made a full 3" exhaust. merged the factory down pipe into a 3" collector, bunch of mandrel bends, a Pypes stainless muffler... follows the factory routing and exits at the rear left. if i didn't already have all the stuff laying around other than the muffler just sitting here, i'd have gone 2.5", or possibly paired 2" at least to the axle. 3" was a TIGHT F-ING FIT. sounds nice, though... and if/when the car gets turbo'd, the exhaust is ready. (don't wanna hear anything about 'loss of torque' or any of those old wives tails about oversized exhaust)

i'll get pics next time the car is in the air (read: on crappy jackstands in my equally crappy gravel driveway).

runs smooth, pulls nicely. compression test was good, all cylinders pretty even. leakdown was fair... good enough, at least. pulls good vacuum at idle. i'm reasonably sure the cam is somewhat flat, though... and it gets way rich at WOT past 5k rpm (11.2:1, on the wideband).

fun little car in a "god damn, it's slow" kinda way. handles much better than i'd expect with the tall tires and crap shocks. stops exceptionally well, also.

in all, including purchase and towing the car home... i've got about $400 into it.

Last edited:
That is too damn cool. Glad I passed on it and sent it your way. How do the front seats compare to stock seats as far as driving position? Do they feel high or is is comfortable? Also, what are the front springs from?

I've got those exact same seats in my Nissan that I'm running about in at the moment. They're made by Recaro and are seriously comfortable.

I had a hell of a job fitting them in my car, but the 140 has a very similar tripod fitting to the Audi, so i guess you didn't have to struggle so much?

have had very little free time lately, and most of that was spent working on the house. managed to squeeze a wee bit of work into the 142, though...

5" x 8" 500lb/in springs in the front... put the front springs -1 coil, with 240 spring cups in the back. 1" front anti-sway, urethane sway bushes. nylon (don't expect them to last) upper control arm bushes.
DSC05066.jpg

junkyard 240 14" steelies and beauty rings... sandblasted the wheels and shot with SEM urethane... quick polish of the beauty rings. they're junkyard 185/70/14s, too. they'll work for a little while.

pulled the bumpers off and tossed 'em on a shelf. rebuilt all the calipers. got a smokin' deal on closeout rebuild kits... grand total of $16. flushed and pressure bled the brakes with ATE blue fluid.

massaged the grill back into shape, shot it with some SEM urethane spray paint that was laying around the shop.
DSC05065.jpg

mid 80s audi quattro sport seats were dirt cheap at the u-pull-it. welded up some quick brackets, done deal.
DSC05061.jpg

wire brushed out what little rust was on the floor, and painted with 'POR-7.5'... about half as good as POR-15... rustoleum hammer finish...

also made a full 3" exhaust. merged the factory down pipe into a 3" collector, bunch of mandrel bends, a Pypes stainless muffler... follows the factory routing and exits at the rear left. if i didn't already have all the stuff laying around other than the muffler just sitting here, i'd have gone 2.5", or possibly paired 2" at least to the axle. 3" was a TIGHT F-ING FIT. sounds nice, though... and if/when the car gets turbo'd, the exhaust is ready. (don't wanna hear anything about 'loss of torque' or any of those old wives tails about oversized exhaust)

i'll get pics next time the car is in the air (read: on crappy jackstands in my equally crappy gravel driveway).

runs smooth, pulls nicely. compression test was good, all cylinders pretty even. leakdown was fair... good enough, at least. pulls good vacuum at idle. i'm reasonably sure the cam is somewhat flat, though... and it gets way rich at WOT past 5k rpm (11.2:1, on the wideband).

fun little car in a "god damn, it's slow" kinda way. handles much better than i'd expect with the tall tires and crap shocks. stops exceptionally well, also.

in all, including purchase and towing the car home... i've got about $400 into it.
Lets see a full frontal pic of that 7 sedan with quad round headlights, looks like it should be in the black car thread..........

springs: circle track specials... 5" x 8", flat ground on both sides. forget who made these ones, but they're available from speedway and lots of other circle track suppliers.

seats: super comfortable, 'specially for the $38 the u-pull-it charged me, for both. not at all a bolt-in kinda deal... i welded brackets to the floor, quite similar to the audi 4000's that they came out of. no idea how they compare to the stock driving position... the original seat was f'ed, and i just placed these where i wanted 'em. there's about 2" of up/down adjustment, and about as much tilt. only about 3" of fore-aft, but that's more than enough. they don't tilt forward for rear seat access... but i've got no rear seat. they can be modified to tilt with parts from a GTI, anyway.

drivability: the throttle position sensor needed a bit of lovin' with the pimp hand to get it to run right.

i've got a near perfect, crack-free dash sitting in the basement. that, and a wee bit of body work, i'm calling the car done for now. the front mud flaps drag on the ground, but i reckon they'll wear themselves down a bit.

the exhaust is f'ing LOUD at WOT. loud in the car, too... all sound deadening removed (got it wet, and it peeled right up). no firewall between the cabin and trunk... exhaust currently ends about 10" shy of the back of the car (ran out of tube)... trunk acts as a huge sub box with the exhaust resonating the floor.
the big drain plugs being out of the floor surely don't help... but it's cool to see the road go by just a few inches below (read: i lost 'em).

gotta finish dealing with the title/registration, then it's gonna be my daily beater.

POS 740:
it's been shown here a few times. v70 front bumper, 960 grill, quad round lights from a mbz. it's a POS... the zip ties are strong though. i'm kinda done with the car... will either part it out or sell it once it's replaced with something else. getting rid of what b230ft goodies i've got left, too (IPD turbo cam, new in the box... ssac header... whatever else i've got laying around).

Last edited:
Needs to go lower and have a roof rack with some old suitcases and an old metal cooler. The you have a real hoodride. Nice start.

Thanks for the thorough description and photos of the work on this project. Hard work surely has its rewards. Any thoughts on paint? Rematching it or changing it?

Hoodride means leave it like that! :oogle:

Just make sure there is no rust and you can leave it like that. Also, you might want to put the rear bumper back on. *if it looks OK.*

paint:
just gonna rock it like it is. maybe lose the bondo work on the fender and deck lid, as it's pretty bad there... but the worn paint stays. so do the bullet holes. really liking the idea of dry brushed speed shop signs on the doors, worn to match the car (total faux-hoodride, like most of the others out there)

i've got a vintage racemark steering wheel that's a bit worn... might find its way onto the car. head rests coming off the seats. stock radio works, with a single speaker... good enough.

thanks for all the comments!

back to working on the house now... anyone here do framing? drywall? want some side work? trying to knock out the remodel of the house, so we can live in it all nice for a while, before selling it to buy some actual land and build a new casa. the 50x100 lot is getting to me, already. want acreage and a big shop.

back to working on the house now... anyone here do framing? drywall? want some side work? trying to knock out the remodel of the house, so we can live in it all nice for a while, before selling it to buy some actual land and build a new casa. the 50x100 lot is getting to me, already. want acreage and a big shop.

PM me.

or me, my rents' are selling their 6 acre lot in canby with 2200ft^2 house, 900ft^2 garage/shop with three-phase 220v, and a bigass barn :-P

I think I lucked out with Dawn. Her parents have a 5 acre spread, with a 2,400 sq. ft. house, and a 2,000 sq. ft. barn. That's where the 122 is sitting at the moment, behind her dad's restored '56 Studebaker.

Dawn and I will be looking for a large lot in Wilsonville when I get back to Oregon... 1/2 to 1 acre probably.

Back